Food frustration...

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought Delilah was enjoying the new food (Weruva).

3 weeks later and she won't touch it. Its like a flavor I gave her 3 days ago and she licked the bowl, now she sniffs and walks away.

Her weight still needs to come down, which is why I tried switching foods and giving her larger less frequent meals.

Should I go back to the Crave/ Sheba rotation (and give her 2 perfect portions each meal), or should I try another brand?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats do best on frequent meals,small amounts
Weruva is high in carbs
I use Sheba perfect portions chicken or turkey or fancy feast classics turkey and giblets. Am,pm,and evening. Sometimes night with a food timer
No fish
I have never used crave
Catfooddb.com for nutritional info on many brands

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most cats do best on frequent meals,small amounts
Weruva is high in carbs
I use Sheba perfect portions chicken or turkey or fancy feast classics turkey and giblets. Am,pm,and evening. Sometimes night with a food timer
No fish
I have never used crave
Catfooddb.com for nutritional info on many brands
That's kind of what I was doing, but she put on a lot of weight. With one perfect portion she was acting like "Is that it?"

Oddly, she won't eat wet food out of a timed feeder.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that dieting cats might be better off eating smaller, more frequent meals. I saw on another post that Delilah doesn't like pates, which are normally the lowest in carbs, but there are some non pates out there that aren't too bad in the carb arena. And you defintely want something high in protein.

Have you tried Soulistic? They are made by the same company that makes Weruva, but have many more flavors and are less expensive. Problem is, they are only sold at Petco - it's their house brand. Anyway, their Soulistic Moist and Tender line in pouches (all flavors) are all carb friendly, and in the cans, the chicken or turkey are carb friendly (in my opinion). Here's their webpage for nutritional values: https://www.soulisticpet.com/nutritional-information-moist-and-tender. I look at the Dry Matter Basis info, which is toward the bottom.

So it sounds like Delilah may be one who likes variety. Are you feeding her different foods or the same flavor at every meal? One of mine needs something different at each meal, and the other likes the same thing day in and day out. You simply need to find out what she likes, flavor and texture wise. With my picky guy, I actually mix part pate and part chunks (Crave). That's what he likes. The carbs in Crave are what I think are within a reasonable amount. If I were you and Delilah likes Crave, I would feed it to her as part of her rotation, but possibly only give her one serving at a time and increase the amount of meals she gets. Plus increase her activity level. You can do this by even getting her to follow you all around the house while you carry her food with you. If you have stairs, go up and down them with her hot on your trail . If you ever give her treats, toss them and have her run for them. My pudge boy became quite the outfielder as I tossed his treats down the hall for him to run down and catch :lol:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have a new food they love called simply nourish chicken morsals for kiiens. High protein,fat,and low carb. I mix it with her pate since she has decided she does not like pate.

Also against the grain high protein low fat so its mixed in their rotation

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that dieting cats might be better off eating smaller, more frequent meals. I saw on another post that Delilah doesn't like pates, which are normally the lowest in carbs, but there are some non pates out there that aren't too bad in the carb arena. And you defintely want something high in protein.

Have you tried Soulistic? They are made by the same company that makes Weruva, but have many more flavors and are less expensive. Problem is, they are only sold at Petco - it's their house brand. Anyway, their Soulistic Moist and Tender line in pouches (all flavors) are all carb friendly, and in the cans, the chicken or turkey are carb friendly (in my opinion). Here's their webpage for nutritional values: https://www.soulisticpet.com/nutritional-information-moist-and-tender. I look at the Dry Matter Basis info, which is toward the bottom.

So it sounds like Delilah may be one who likes variety. Are you feeding her different foods or the same flavor at every meal? One of mine needs something different at each meal, and the other likes the same thing day in and day out. You simply need to find out what she likes, flavor and texture wise. With my picky guy, I actually mix part pate and part chunks (Crave). That's what he likes. The carbs in Crave are what I think are within a reasonable amount. If I were you and Delilah likes Crave, I would feed it to her as part of her rotation, but possibly only give her one serving at a time and increase the amount of meals she gets. Plus increase her activity level. You can do this by even getting her to follow you all around the house while you carry her food with you. If you have stairs, go up and down them with her hot on your trail . If you ever give her treats, toss them and have her run for them. My pudge boy became quite the outfielder as I tossed his treats down the hall for him to run down and catch :lol:
She's definitely a variety girl. I rarely feed her the same thing in a row.

Right now her diet is being determined by the weather. I was low on food, and the winter storm was about to hit. I didn't want to go running around with impending weather so I consolidated all shopping at the supermarket. They were totally out of Sheba and other than a lot of things that, on quick lookup weren't that great, I was stuck between Purina varieties, Fancy Feast, Friskies, and Rachael Ray. Since I know she will eat Fancy Feast and that had the biggest selection I went with it.

Dry wise though I went with I and Love and You weight management. It had the least crap out of the stuff left on the shelves.

I will say that since I went to the bigger meals she seems a bit more energetic between meals. For a while she wasn't even making biscuits and she just seemed to pick up again.

Now she wants me to put down the phone and give cuddles by placing herself between me and the phone.
20210210_183949.jpg

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want her to lose weight no dry will help, dry food is horrible for weight gain. Small frequent meals is better, 3 meals a day most people can do :)

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Higher quality food. Try Nulo.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shes been really weird about eating wet food in her timed feeder. At first she would totally ignore it and either make me crazy or eat her cat grass.

Since I've been stuck at home (Texas weather) what I've been testing out is holding back a spoonful of wet from her major meals, then putting it in the timed feeder with a smaller amount of the dry. She seems to eating both so I can start tapering off the kibble.

There are reasons I call her "Miss Cranky Fussy Pants".

Now that the roads are clearing I can get back on the "better than Fancy Feast" hunt.