Food for Weight Loss AND Sensative Tummy?

FLSnowbunnyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any recommendations on a food that is good for weight loss and ALSO sensitive on the tummy?
I've been using Purina One Sensitive Skin & Stomach and its great but I need to get some pounds off one of my kitty babes.

TIA!

Amber

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing that food is kibble? What is your pudgy cat's issue if he eats something else? Does he have diarrhea or vomit or itch or what? Also, if he vomits, is it within a few minutes of eating, or hours later?And HOW do you feed your cats, meaning are they are scheduled meals or do you free feed them?

So to get a cat to lose weight, you need to monitor their calories and possibly increase their exercise if they aren't active, just like with us humans. Cats typically need between 20 - 25 calories per pound of their DESIRED weight. So if you want him to weigh 10 pounds, he should eat between 200 and 250 calories per day. Those calories can still be the Sensitive food if you want them to be, although many of us who've had to put our cats on diets have found that they seem to be much more satisfied with wet food that is mostly good quality protein (meat) with low carbs. That's how I got my guy to lose. I had to take all four cats off of free fed kibble and convert them to scheduled meals of wet food to accomplish it, but it worked. And to this day we stick to that. Now they don't even remember what kibble is.

Just in case you need it, here are a couple articles that might be helpful:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FLSnowbunnyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm guessing that food is kibble? What is your pudgy cat's issue if he eats something else? Does he have diarrhea or vomit or itch or what? Also, if he vomits, is it within a few minutes of eating, or hours later?And HOW do you feed your cats, meaning are they are scheduled meals or do you free feed them?

So to get a cat to lose weight, you need to monitor their calories and possibly increase their exercise if they aren't active, just like with us humans. Cats typically need between 20 - 25 calories per pound of their DESIRED weight. So if you want him to weigh 10 pounds, he should eat between 200 and 250 calories per day. Those calories can still be the Sensitive food if you want them to be, although many of us who've had to put our cats on diets have found that they seem to be much more satisfied with wet food that is mostly good quality protein (meat) with low carbs. That's how I got my guy to lose. I had to take all four cats off of free fed kibble and convert them to scheduled meals of wet food to accomplish it, but it worked. And to this day we stick to that. Now they don't even remember what kibble is.

Just in case you need it, here are a couple articles that might be helpful:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles
I have 2 cats that I cannot feed separately.

Snick is a good weight and active but throws up very shortly after eating non-sensative food (fairly new development). He also doesnt eat much right away regardless.

Gypsy is getting overweight and not very active and she eats much more right away. We did recently find a toy she will actually play w and jump around to catch! Its this floppy fish toy we got for christmas. So funny!!

I do feed them 4 small (1/8 cup) meals of kibble throughout the day (w the help of an auto feeder when I'm not home) to try to help Snick get more food and Gypsy less.

If I could just feed them different food this wouldn't be an issue :-(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FLSnowbunnyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats that I cannot feed separately.

Snick is a good weight and active but throws up very shortly after eating non-sensative food (fairly new development). He also doesnt eat much right away regardless.

Gypsy is getting overweight and not very active and she eats much more right away. We did recently find a toy she will actually play w and jump around to catch! Its this floppy fish toy we got for christmas. So funny!!

I do feed them 4 small (1/8 cup) meals of kibble throughout the day (w the help of an auto feeder when I'm not home) to try to help Snick get more food and Gypsy less.

If I could just feed them different food this wouldn't be an issue :-(
Also, Snick (male) is a DSH and Gypsy (female) is a long hair tuxedo. Both around 7.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so if you feed Snick non sensitive food he throws it up almost immediately,even if he doesn't eat much of it? Am I getting that correct? So he's not vomiting from overeating or eating too fast, it would seem. That would seem to indicate that there is some ingredient in the NON-sensitive food that doesn't work for him. The food has all sorts of things that cats could have issues with, but I do see that it doesn't contain any wheat products, so perhaps that's it. I supposed you could try to find another kibble that doesn't have any wheat in it, or you could try to convert them to wet food. There are many, many wet foods that don't contain wheat.

Or you could just try to get Gypsy to lose weight by playing with her with that new toy! AND, try walking around with her food dish and have her follow you around the house. That will get her exercise too. Plus cut down on her portions a little until she is within the caloric guidelines I provided above.

How many meals are they really getting. Four in total, or four during the day, plus breakfast and dinner? Sorry, I confuse easily :lol: You could try feeding them when you wakeup, when you return from (if you work away from home), and right before bedtime. Three meals if plenty. They don't really need to have snacks all throughout the day. If you are really only feeding them four meals within a 24 hour period, this wouldn't be that much of a change for them, but then at least you could monitor them because you would be home and could watch Gypsy and keep her out of Snick's dish. I actually feed one of my cats in the kitchen, and the other (the slower eater), in whatever room I happen to be in so I can keep an eye on his bowl because I have the same issue you have with one non-food driven cat and one little piggy.

MercyMain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Royal Canin has a sensitive wet pouch variety of you could look at novel, single protein wet foods like venison or rabbit. Ziwi Peak has a venison one that’s apparently good for cats with sensitivity or allergies. But I doubt they would be into premium wet going from kibble, it’ll be a bit of work. Royal Canin might be easier to transition to initially.