Food for Urinary Blockage

Sky Energy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat has had several blockages and PU surgery. He's a nightmare. He's even gotten blocked after the PU surgery. Reluctantly I've switched from the dry prescription food to the wet prescription food and so far so good. The only thing is, it's super expensive. It's 5 dollars per day. Add onto this my other cat has diabetes, so her food is about 2 dollars per day, plus insulin, plus syringes, plus diabetic testing supplies and the cost here is crazy. They're eating me out of house and home and something needs to be done about it.

Is there any way to get a cat food that has a balanced PH and costs less than 2.30-2.50 per can?

I see that Purina for Urinary Tract health is cheaper, but is that going to prevent crystal formation? Or what is that going to do?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There are no absolute guarantees, but some people DO use the Purina for Urinary Tract health, and others simply use a good grain free, low carb wet food, and also ensure their cats get plenty of extra filtered water, PLUS check their cats PH with PH strips. you can use the same strips made for humans.

Here is a thread that talks about alternatives to the prescription foods: Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

For your diabetic cat, often the same type of food, very low carb, should achieve the same type benefit, rather than needing a prescription diabetic food. Of course, that doesn't replace the need for insulin and supplies.