food for the (STERILIZED) cat

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi to TCS and members I had hoped this message reached Dr. Boltz but I saw her post were closed. Now, I hope someone who might know about current research made on the 2020 pet foods , especially marketed for (The sterilized cat). I recently visited a local pet store , in France that gets most of their cat food from Royal Canin , Whiska and a few European manufactures . 90% of the cat food on the shelves are labeled for (The Sterilized Cat.). As a customer who buys dry cat food I have seen labels such as (Hairball Control , Senior Cat , Kitten, and that type of selection for cats.
But, this pet food really surprised me. I just hope someone can point me in the right direction about this pet food. It appears all brands that carry this label are mostly dry cat food.
Also, I hope this will help other cat guardians and owners when they start seeing these labels, as I am sure these manufacturers will target the USA, again.
Ppl were talking about it in a little somewhere around 2012.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly Sa'ida Maryam Sa'ida Maryam , I think it's more of a marketing thing than anything else. Spayed or neutered cats do not have different dietary needs. In my opinion, it's just another product to add to their repertoire.
We don't have it over here in Australia.. I've only heard of it through people posting here.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of it either and I agree with mani mani . Sounds like a ploy to get people to buy it thinking they are doing a good thing for their cats.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats need high animal protein, moderate fat, low carb, high moisture diets. Any “specialized” food is a scam (with the exception of foods for kidney cats and diabetic cats).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any “specialized” food is a scam (with the exception of foods for kidney cats and diabetic cats).
IMO, diabetic cats don't need specialized food either :) Low carb preferably canned food is best. There are lots of commercially available options. Raw and home cooked are also options.

Tanya's CRF page has a list of commercially available foods that are suitable for many kidney cats.

But I agree otherwise - specialized foods are pretty much a gimmick. Kitten foods are pretty much the exception. Kitten foods have extra vitamins and minerals a growing kitten needs. Hairballs? Just brush the cat more frequently, maybe provide some hairball gel if needed. Dental issues? Have a vet address the current dental issues and give the teeth a good cleaning and then maintain a home dental care routine (teeth brushing, etc).

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, diabetic cats don't need specialized food either :) Low carb preferably canned food is best. There are lots of commercially available options. Raw and home cooked are also options.

Tanya's CRF page has a list of commercially available foods that are suitable for many kidney cats.

But I agree otherwise - specialized foods are pretty much a gimmick. Kitten foods are pretty much the exception. Kitten foods have extra vitamins and minerals a growing kitten needs. Hairballs? Just brush the cat more frequently, maybe provide some hairball gel if needed. Dental issues? Have a vet address the current dental issues and give the teeth a good cleaning and then maintain a home dental care routine (teeth brushing, etc).
That’s a good point. I didn’t really want to get into it, but even commercial foods labelled for kidney or diabetic cats are problematic. But assuming that people are sticking to labels and not doing much further research on their own I suppose these labels would be the “useful” ones.