Food For Snickers ..

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been caring for this stray kitty since last year. I named him Snickers. When he first showed up he was skinny and scraggly looking. He had at least 30 engorged Ticks on him. After three doses of Frontline he's Tick free.
I always keep dry food available for him but I have no way to provide fresh water so I feed him Friskies can food several times a day. He doesn't seem to eat much though. Any suggestions on food toppers ?
He's a super sweet kitty . Unfortunately I can't bring him in the house. We have two cats that don't get along with each other sometimes. We also have three dogs and it seems Snickers is afraid of dogs. We built this shelter for him. It seems to keep him comfortable. I visit him as much as possible.
IMG_20190107_073904_kindlephoto-1059024609.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bless you for doing this!

I realize he might be fluffed up a bit against the cold, but even so Snickers looks a little heavy for his size, is there perhaps someone else feeding him as well? That might explain why he isn't eating that much...

You could take treats, or even some of the kibble, crumble the bits up a little and sprinkle on the wet food.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I realize he might be fluffed up a bit against the cold, but even so Snickers looks a little heavy for his size, is there perhaps someone else feeding him as well? That might explain why he isn't eating that much...

You could take treats, or even some of the kibble, crumble the bits up a little and sprinkle on the wet food.
Thank you so much. I doubt he's getting fed elsewhere. He stays in his shelter day and night. He does eat the kibble just fine. Maybe I should
give him the wet food first. He used to belong to the neighbors but they disowned him apparently.
He was really neglected. He also had a bad URI but I've been giving him Amoxicillin and he's much better.
I will try some treats or maybe a different wet food.
P.S I think it may just be the pic. In person he doesn't look heavy.
Here's a different pic.

IMG_20190107_073948.jpg

Last edited:

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I crushed some Temptation treats ( which he loves) and sprinkled on the wet food and he ate a bit more.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why can't you provide water? Even if it freezes, if you refill it twice a day with warm water that should be enough. If he eats any dry food at all he does need some water or you're risking urinary problems.

It looks like he's been neutered (his face isn't big and muscular like a tomcat), so at least that's taken care of. And they probably gave him his shots when he was neutered, although you should try to get his boosters when you can. At least rabies, for legal protection.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why can't you provide water? Even if it freezes, if you refill it twice a day with warm water that should be enough. If he eats any dry food at all he does need some water or you're risking urinary problems.

It looks like he's been neutered (his face isn't big and muscular like a tomcat), so at least that's taken care of. And they probably gave him his shots when he was neutered, although you should try to get his boosters when you can. At least rabies, for legal protection.
Thank you I will do that. If in fact he is a male it looks he's been neutered. He does eat wet food once a day so that helps but I will put out water a few times a day. It'll freeze up fast . It's below zero here.
I'm thinking it might be kinder to take him to the animal shelter but I feel bad about that because he knows us seems comfortable here.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's very friendly and well-behaved, yeah, call around to some no-kill shelters and rescues. He deserves an indoor home if he can get one. Don't just drop him at a kill shelter though. He's better off living on your deck than being at a kill shelter.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's very friendly and well-behaved, yeah, call around to some no-kill shelters and rescues. He deserves an indoor home if he can get one. Don't just drop him at a kill shelter though. He's better off living on your deck than being at a kill shelter.
Fortunately we don't have any kill shelters in my area. We actually have a very nice cat shelter near us.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good. Give them a call. If they don't have room they might ask you to keep him for a while, but at least get him on the waiting list. Only ferals should live outside; friendly cats ought to get into homes whenever possible.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh good. Give them a call. If they don't have room they might ask you to keep him for a while, but at least get him on the waiting list. Only ferals should live outside; friendly cats ought to get into homes whenever possible.
Thank you so much. I will.

Minxxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Update on Snickers..
I'm giving him a small bowl of warm water twice a day. He seems to like it. He's still not crazy about wet food but he eats it a little better with some Temptation treats mixed in. I also renovated his house . I made a new insulated house using a plastic tub with a Styrofoam cooler inside filled with shredded paper and hay. He also has a raised floor so he doesn't get flooded out when it rains. Here's a new photo.
IMG_20190113_134705.jpg