Food for senior with IBD & kidney disease

jmdock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need some help with a senior kitty that has IBD so needs hydrolyzed protein and very early stages of kidney disease. I am currently feeding her a wet food from Hound and Gato (Turkey). I do see that this has a high level of phosphorus (1.20). What kind of food is best if she needs hydrolyzed protein but kidney issues too? Plus don't want the guar gum or other yuckness.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you go the raw route, which is GREAT for IBD cats, do consider looking for one that uses something other that bone as the source of calcium. Bones are very high in phosphorus, which is what you don't want. I had a kidney cat who was on raw, so when she was diagnosed, we just switched to using egg shell powder vs bones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmdock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Could raw feeding be something for you?

There are some sites that might be useful for you, along with talking to your vet about how to navigate these two issues.

This post has a lot of good information and links;
Best food brands for IBD Inflammatory Bowel Disease

plus there's this;

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat

I have looked into NomNomNow cat food and getting the chicken flavor to see if she will like that. She is just in the early stages of kidney disease. She is currently on Royal Canin Dry food Hydrolyzed Protein and Renal. I know the dry food doesn't provide all the moisture she needs so we heavily supplement with wet food. Our vet also is recommending Purina Hydracare, which is new but I am reluctant because it also has "gum" in it.

I did look at Tanya's list and love that website. I have known about that site since 2004 when our tortie cat was diagnosed with kidney failure. But when I look at that list most of them have the "gum" additives or other items so that is why I am so torn and trying to figure out what to do.

I think raw might be the best way to go so there is no "gum" additives and she gets the moisture she needs.

Thank you for your suggests.

JC fka JClark

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some help with a senior kitty that has IBD so needs hydrolyzed protein and very early stages of kidney disease. I am currently feeding her a wet food from Hound and Gato (Turkey). I do see that this has a high level of phosphorus (1.20). What kind of food is best if she needs hydrolyzed protein but kidney issues too? Plus don't want the guar gum or other yuckness.
https://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have looked into NomNomNow cat food and getting the chicken flavor to see if she will like that. She is just in the early stages of kidney disease. She is currently on Royal Canin Dry food Hydrolyzed Protein and Renal. I know the dry food doesn't provide all the moisture she needs so we heavily supplement with wet food. Our vet also is recommending Purina Hydracare, which is new but I am reluctant because it also has "gum" in it.

I did look at Tanya's list and love that website. I have known about that site since 2004 when our tortie cat was diagnosed with kidney failure. But when I look at that list most of them have the "gum" additives or other items so that is why I am so torn and trying to figure out what to do.

I think raw might be the best way to go so there is no "gum" additives and she gets the moisture she needs.

Thank you for your suggests.
I'd never heard of NomNomNow. Thanks for mentioning it, I'm going to check it out. 👍