Food for megacolon

MrFluffers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was diagnosed with megacolon a few months ago. He had sever constipation and I took him to the vet and he prescribed a laxative that finally got him within a couple days. I used to have him on a dry and wet food diet. I have since switched to a strict wet food diet. I also tried to encourage more water intake by increasing the number of water dishes in different areas of the house plus I got a cat fountain. I haven't seen him physically drink. I think he does drink some since the water in one dish seems to go down. He has no issues with urination and seems hydrated. I have been feeding him Nature's Valley Instinct. I noticed recently it seemed like it had changed. It went from looking like ground up meat with peas to more gelatin like. I noticed the can says it's from Thailand and not the US like it used to. It seems they changed the formula. My cat still likes it but he isn't a picky eater. He eats anything you set in front of him. I'm wondering if I should change up the food, and if so what should I go with for megacolon? My cat is large, he weighs 17 pounds. Vet estimates he should weigh around 14 pounds. He's estimated to be 9-10 years old. He's a large breed cat, looks to be Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat. I was looking at Weruva as their food had a high moisture content. It is also made in Thailand like his current food. Not sure if I should just stick with what's working or try something new.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my cat weruva steak frites and churu or tiki sticks-90 % water. Also likes weruva duck.both expensive

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrFluffers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Weruva is actually cheaper than the Instinct which is another reason why I was considering it.

I noticed other flavors of the Instinct appear to still be made in the US. The customer reviews on the flavor I have been using have gone down. It seems the complaints are the cats don't like it anymore but my cat loves it. The ingredients still seem high quality so maybe I should just keep with it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I say feed him whatever he'll eat. If he needs to lose some weight, cut back a tiny bit on the portions if you keep him on the same food. If you switch to Weruva, check the calories because many of their foods are lower calorie than Nature Valley. You can always add some water right to the food to ensure he's getting plenty hydrated. I add at least one tablespoon of filtered water to each meal for my guys.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
To follow up on the water itself, there may be something in here that helps getting him more interested;