Food for elder cats?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are 9 and 7. I’ve been feeding them Royal Canin Indoor since they were 1 year old in addition to wet food (mix brands but Fancy Feast being main) daily. I’m wondering if I should start changing to RC Indoor 7+ to suit their dietary needs.

They’re both healthy. The older one has always been a slender 3.5kg and the younger one is a chunky 5.5kg.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be a good idea to transition over to a mature cat food, read on your label, many are for all stages of life. When they get very elderly and their appetite dwindles, I like to give kitten food too, it is higher in calories and nutrition. At the end of life, it is not the time to worry about nutrition. Just feed them what they will eat. My Burt lived on Arby's roast beef and chicken nuggets when he stopped eating. It made us both happy.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Personally, I don't know that it's all that important to feed a senior diet. My boys both will be 12 in February and neither one eats a senior food. One eats raw food, and that is "one size fits all" from kitten to very elderly, and the eats raw and canned, but is extremely picky, so I dare not try something that would make him feel old :lol:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens . It does not need to be a can that specifically says for seniors. All my cats, including my 7 yr old eat rawz or dr elseys