Food for dog & cat with same protein

FrancineE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The dog (Augie) has food allergies, we've had him on Royal Canin, Hydrolyzed protein:Venison, now he's cleared up, and I need to start feeding him "real" food.
-Chicken seems to be a culprit, also, had1 milkbone and got hot spots.

One ancient cat (Little Bits) with Kidney disease, needs low phosphorous. Can only eat small amounts at a time or he throws up, so needs to eat several small meals. Loves raw beef, and promptly vomits it up.

Belle: had high blood sugar, so no grain. (presumably not diabetic, but on Prednisolone for past year) Loves kibble & raw chicken.

I cannot go one trying to feed them separately and throwing away a fortune in small canned cat food that they will only eat at one sitting.

I have made my cats food for 10 years, and had no problems, but as the dog cannot have chicken, I want to transition them to a different protein, but hopefully the same one so I can make the food at the same time and there won't be a problem when he cleans off their plates.

I've begun to give Augie LID kibble with the Royal Canin so it's a gradual transition, and homemade venison & vegies etc mixed in.

Any suggestions? What is gentle on the digestive tract, not too bad for kidneys?

AND Augie is a 70 lb dog so he eats a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any high quality protein should be gentle on the digestive tract (of an animal), and it really depends on the stage of kidney disease how bad it would be for the kidneys. I'm kind of surprised your old guy is vomiting up raw beef after every meal if he is used to eating it. My old kidney cat used to eat raw beef with no issues. I"m wondering if something else is going on there. Is he able to keep other food down?

So are you saying you want to feed all the animals LID kibble and then just add in extra homemade Venison and vegies to Auggie's food? I don't think that's really what you're saying, but I'm not quite getting what you're trying to do here. I THINK you want to feed the cats something Auggie can eat too, and am guessing HE can be fed something different, correct? And you want to feed the cats something kidney friendly. If you want to continue feeding raw, I would NOT feed any bones, substitute a calcium powder for bones, and try to find one with the least amount of phosphorus. Maybe try turkey or duck, or rabbit or lamb. Does Belle not like Venison, since you already use that? (and are you feeding her kibble that has no grains? That's hard to come by, isn't it?) Personally, I would only feed grains to Auggie, you could add oats or something like that to his homemade food (a friend of mine does that for her Frenchies)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrancineE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any high quality protein should be gentle on the digestive tract (of an animal), and it really depends on the stage of kidney disease how bad it would be for the kidneys. I'm kind of surprised your old guy is vomiting up raw beef after every meal if he is used to eating it. My old kidney cat used to eat raw beef with no issues. I"m wondering if something else is going on there. Is he able to keep other food down?

So are you saying you want to feed all the animals LID kibble and then just add in extra homemade Venison and vegies to Auggie's food? I don't think that's really what you're saying, but I'm not quite getting what you're trying to do here. I THINK you want to feed the cats something Auggie can eat too, and am guessing HE can be fed something different, correct? And you want to feed the cats something kidney friendly. If you want to continue feeding raw, I would NOT feed any bones, substitute a calcium powder for bones, and try to find one with the least amount of phosphorus. Maybe try turkey or duck, or rabbit or lamb. Does Belle not like Venison, since you already use that? (and are you feeding her kibble that has no grains? That's hard to come by, isn't it?) Personally, I would only feed grains to Auggie, you could add oats or something like that to his homemade food (a friend of mine does that for her Frenchies)
Pretty close, sorry for the confusion, it's tough to figure out how much to write without boring the reader! And I'm new to this allergy issue
Augie would eat anything at all, but I'm assuming because of his skin condition/food allergy it should be limited to one meat source. I really had to be convinced to go along with this hydrolyzed protein, it just seems so far from a natural diet.

Since his skin has calmed down, I'm introducing new food slowly to see what triggers his hot spots. Because the cats food has always been chicken based, and he's had these problems, I'd like to get the cats off chicken so he doesn't break out if he cleans their plates.

The old cat is exceptionally healthy for being almost 21 and having renal failure for many years. He would eat most any meat but I think the beef, for instance, is maybe too rich. It's hard to explain when he barfs & what I attribute it to, to a vet. They generally focus on one thing. When he has a hairball, he'll vomit shortly after eating for a few days, and then the hairball finally comes out and he is fine again. Or if he fills up on water first thing, then eats, up it all comes. So I have to limit the food intake. It's crazy...

Because of the renal failure, I understand that his phosphorous intake should be limited, and most canned foods don't list that in the breakdown. Meat has the highest phosphorous and I think the red meats are highest. So how to balance his meat with Augie's food, and then throw in Belle for good measure, little Miss Priss, the fussiest eater ever. LOVES kibble, which is full of carbs that raise her blood sugar....and Bits shouldn't have, it's a battle!

As to kibble with no grain, N&D Prime, by Farmina is no grain.

Thanks for listening! :cool:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the short version of what you're saying is you want the cats and dog to be on the same protein because the dog likes to finish off the cats' leftovers. The dog has the allergies, so you're trying to avoid him eating something he shouldn't when he cleans up the cat plates, and the cats have their own medical issues as well.

I know my sister's dog has some skin issues. She feeds him a lamb and fava bean kibble. There are a few lamb based cat foods as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, the Farmina N & D prime comes in different proteins. Have you tried the Boar and Apple for Belle? Chances are the Augie might not have any allergies to Boar, although there is no way of knowing without him trying it unless you get him allergy tested.

As for Little Bits, I found with my last kidney cat that feeding many, many small meals through the day and night worked best to keep her eating AND to keep away the vomiting. Also, we gave her famotudine injections for over acidity. There are things you can do for hairballs as well. WE use Vets Best Hairball Relieve and Digestive Aid around our house. IF they have a hairball, it will come up the same day they eat one of those tablets. If they don't have one, this stuff works well to prevent the build-up of them. My problem is I don't always give it to them everyday like I should. And as far as phosphorus goes, yes, lamb and beef are higher than turkey or chicken. Green tripe is a pretty good source of high quality protein and fairly low in phos if you can handle the smell. Some cats love it, others not so much. You want to stay away from any fish that has bones in it as the bones increase the amount of phos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrancineE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, the Farmina N & D prime comes in different proteins. Have you tried the Boar and Apple for Belle? Chances are the Augie might not have any allergies to Boar, although there is no way of knowing without him trying it unless you get him allergy tested.

As for Little Bits, I found with my last kidney cat that feeding many, many small meals through the day and night worked best to keep her eating AND to keep away the vomiting. Also, we gave her famotudine injections for over acidity. There are things you can do for hairballs as well. WE use Vets Best Hairball Relieve and Digestive Aid around our house. IF they have a hairball, it will come up the same day they eat one of those tablets. If they don't have one, this stuff works well to prevent the build-up of them. My problem is I don't always give it to them everyday like I should. And as far as phosphorus goes, yes, lamb and beef are higher than turkey or chicken. Green tripe is a pretty good source of high quality protein and fairly low in phos if you can handle the smell. Some cats love it, others not so much. You want to stay away from any fish that has bones in it as the bones increase the amount of phos.
Sorry for my delayed response, and thank you for responding!