Food for cat with (pre) Kidney Disease

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet said that my 15, almost 16 year old cat, is on the verge of Kidney disease. She gave us some food to try (prescription Royal Canine and Hills) and she HATES them. She refuses to eat them. She loves those fancy feast savory centers, so we tried to do a mix, but she ate the fancy feast and left the kidney food behind.

Are there any good OTC foods that I can feed her to help slow down the progression / onset of the kidney disease?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet said that my 15, almost 16 year old cat, is on the verge of Kidney disease. She gave us some food to try (prescription Royal Canine and Hills) and she HATES them. She refuses to eat them. She loves those fancy feast savory centers, so we tried to do a mix, but she ate the fancy feast and left the kidney food behind.

Are there any good OTC foods that I can feed her to help slow down the progression / onset of the kidney disease?
Did you try a gradual switch over from her original food to this new stuff, or did you just give her a bowl of the new stuff right away?
If you haven't done a slow switch over, start off with 90% original food and 10% new food for a few days, then go to 80/20 and so on. When she keeps picking out the original stuff and starts to realize there's less and less of it, she'll start eating the new stuff. Cats have a survival instinct. They wont let themselves starve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you try a gradual switch over from her original food to this new stuff, or did you just give her a bowl of the new stuff right away?
If you haven't done a slow switch over, start off with 90% original food and 10% new food for a few days, then go to 80/20 and so on. When she keeps picking out the original stuff and starts to realize there's less and less of it, she'll start eating the new stuff. Cats have a survival instinct. They wont let themselves starve.
Yes that is what we did, a small portion of the new food and the rest the original food. She left the new food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My kidney boy won't touch Hills or Royal Canin and I am working my way down the commercially available list from Tanya's guide. The Hills and RC were such a colossal waste of money that I stopped even trying to feed them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe this is the list you are all referring too, yes? https://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

I see some Weruva listed. My other cat, this one's sister, has IMD and LOVES weruva! Ever since she's started eating it she's gained weight and hasn't had any flare ups, so perhaps it would work for the kidney sister as well!