Food for a cat with no gallbladder

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Musiaka's gallbladder will be removed on Wednesday. I assume he will get some veterinary food prescribed to him but he's usually not a fan of veterinary foods, besides he doesn't eat kibble and I think they said they will prescribe him Royal Canin's hepatic. Could I just find a low-fat food for him on my own? Would any low-fat easy to digest food suit him?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I understand it, the gallbladder, pancreas and liver all work together, so you may want to consider ingredients such as sodium, phosphorus and the protein too. Obtaining a food that's as close to what he'd get naturally might be the thing to do if at all possible.

There's a manufacturer making a cat food called Forza10 you may be able to get.

I like the Kattovit Gastro. You might also check the ingredients and nutritional makeup of the Hepatic food and see if there's a canned food that matches that and add it on a rotational basis. and additionally you might keep an eye out for mouse meat cat food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
you may want to consider ingredients such as sodium, phosphorus and the protein too.
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to mention that you also might look into foods that have lower fat content, from what I'm reading.

Also, there are supplements that could be helpful. I'm assuming that there's a difference between something that's intended for an intact but diseased, inflamed or damaged gall bladder as compared to a supportive supplement for a cat without one.

Let us know what you decide and how things go for your sweetie!