Food Dish/bowl Factors

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only concern I have is that the Newcor plates say 1992 made in China. Is that safe? Did China use safe glazes back in 1992?
Ummm, ...?
I guess maybe one way to look at it would be if the glazing hasn't started to crack, you're probably ok but if the glazing is cracking and otherwise deteriorating, maybe look at obtaining something else.
I'm going to check into @kobata1928 's idea for my Big Guy, but there are some terrific ideas in this thread, like the raised dishes that @FakeGourmet mentioned.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The Correlle dessert bowl worked well but the cat still seemed to experienced issues with whisker stress. As I shop often at the myriad thrift stores in my area I've kept my eyes open for alternative. The kibble dish is glass whose original purpose is unknown. The clean canned wet food dish is what I believe to be a glass butter dish. Both work excellently and are great for the cat. He can use the butter dish with shredded wet food (Weruva/Fussie Cat shredded chicken) without needing to lift it and drop it away from the dish. The dish containing the dry food is for the Orijen Regional Red he loves. These are shown on my mouse pad for visibility as the counter top isn't conducive to visibility in picture form.

Love the butter dish idea

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Van Ness Heavyweight Crock Bowls. They are heavy plastic and almost "teflonish". Nothing really sticks to them. Raw food diet and they clean up SO easy.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've always used a variety of ceramic dishes but since I have a very big 14lb boy, I've updated to the ViviPet Mykonos elevated feeder and use the ceramic dishes that were included in that. The rectangular dish meant for the grass is what I use for water even though neither of my cats use it. :lol:

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have recently updated our main cat feeding bowls to the PetComfort system (by WeatherTech). Not cheap, but so easy to clean, and high enough off the floor so our aging cats don't have to bend all the way down to the floor. We got the larger lower mat because one of them likes to toss the dry food out one by one and eat it when it hits the floor, which negates why we wanted a taller setup. I've been trying to get a photo of them eating with it.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use old dinnerplates for the food and stainless steel water bowls. I do wash the plates and bowls daily (in the dishwasher on the sanitary setting. Water bowls are changes morning and evening since the cats and dogs share.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wet food goes on styrofoam small 6 inch plates and get thrown away when done. Dry food is in stainless steel pet bowls. Water is placed in several spots around the house (they like to 'find' them) in stainless steel or pretty ceramic bowls I got on sale. The only thing taht is taboo is plastic, harbors too many germs and causes acne.
I believe some fish oils eat through styrofoam.

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! I might try changing the bowls that Menzies & Steve use. Maybe Menzies won't turn up her nose so often & Steve won't go looking for Pounce to steal her food! Pounce gets cat acne, so I'll try using a plate instead of her ceramic cat bowl & see if that helps. Mind you, if I'm not quick, she'll scoff down anything leftover anywhere in anything. 😄

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone made this observation:
When I bring Camelia flowers into the house and float them in a glass bowl, all five cats will ignore their water bowls and drink the Camelia water instead! 😄 I guess it tastes better. Naughty Steve actually picks up the flowers in his paw and chucks them on the table or the floor to make space for his nose! 😄
Maybe he's got that sensitive whiskers thing. 🤔

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m convinced these wide Oftast bowls from Ikea are the perfect cat bowl, at least for my cat - OFTAST Deep plate/bowl - white - IKEA

They’re wide and shallow enough not smush the cat’s face or whiskers but still deep enough to keep the food/water in, they’re tempered glass which is sturdy and easy to clean, they look classy, and best of all they’re 79 cents.

We also use an outward hound silicone puzzle bowl for his dry food snack that I’ve posted on here before. It definitely causes a little bit of acne around around his chin and lips because he’s shoving his face into it around lots of food particles, but a little bit of acne is preferable to scarf and barfing every day, and a little bit of brushing with a soft toothbrush gets rid of the gunk in his pores easily.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I am curious about what y'all use as a dish or bowl to put food on when feeding your cat(s). It seems material is really emphasized and shape/size/depth aren't given as much attention. I've found that with particular foods these factors play an important role in my cat's eating behavior. The dish that works best for wet food that is shredded simply will not work with dry food in the form of kibble. I have encountered situations where he (the cat) appears to not like a food but it seems that it is just simply difficult for him to eat it. Does anyone else have this issue or is it all in my head? I've taken into account whisker stress but often it seems like the food is just difficult for him to pick up.

On a side note: Food dishes and bowls are expensive at pets stores and even online. In my area there are a lot of thrift stores with all sorts of containers that can be used for cat food. What their original purpose was is beyond me. Stainless steel, ceramic, glass, crystal, and even silver items are available. This may be a factor as to why I obsess over food dishes and bowls so much.
Hi, I like to use au gratin dishes I found at goodwill, they seem to like them
au gratin dishes.jpg