Food Confusion

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Upon getting my kitten, I binged watched the best cat food and what was a better diet for them (i.e. wet, dry, or raw) and learned a lot. I personally have been doing a wet food only diet for my kitten so far (my husband wants to add dry food to her diet to offset costs of canned food but also wants a healthier dry food).

Upon going to the vet for her boosters yesterday, a vet tech asked me about her diet, me being slightly proud about her being wet food only, stated I only gave her wet food. The vet tech started scolding me that I needed to give her dry food because it helps with tartar build up and eating only wet food can make her fat and that I should talk to the vet about it.

In the end I did talk to the vet about it. Told the vet my plans of keeping her on wet, but including dental treats and brushing her teeth. Which the vet said was okay. Honestly, I am kinda shocked that when my kitten had a UTI and I called, I am pretty sure the same vet I talked to was relieved on the phone my kitten only ate wet food.

My husband thinks I am going overkill with dental treats and brushing teeth (haven't started either yet). I know the tartar being cleaned by dry food isn't necessarily true. Where does wet food only diet can make a cat fat come from? Would me brushing her teeth help counteract tartar build up from only only wet food? Is there some wet food information I have misunderstood?

I know the vet tech loves my kitten (they all do). But it also feels like a sells ploy (the place info to sells pet food). They also suggested to me Purina dry food (which is a "oh hell no" for me).

Sorry for my rambling. I am confused and slightly hurt I guess. Any clarification on food stuff would be appreciated.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
a vet tech asked me about her diet, me being slightly proud about her being wet food only, stated I only gave her wet food. The vet tech started scolding me that I needed to give her dry food because it helps with tartar build up and eating only wet food can make her fat and that I should talk to the vet about it.
Dry food does not clean the cat's teeth and wet food does not make the cat fat. It is kibble that makes the cat fat as it is full of carbohydrates whereas wet food is full of proteins and minerals which helps maintain the cat's weight.

Many things are done just for the sake and convenience for the hoomans and not for the cats.

Here's an article for you to read :- Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat’s Teeth? – TheCatSite Articles

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ignore the vet tech and any vet advice about how healthy and good dry food is over canned. Just because they have veterinary experience and all that doesn't make them an authority on food and to tell clients what to fee. Feed what YOU feel is best for your cat. Don't let anyone make you feel like a bad owner for feeding what they believe is horrible food for whatever reason.

Teeth brushing helps remove food particles and plaque from teeth, much like how it does for our teeth. Staring kittens early on tooth brushing helps keep the teeth and gums healthy but it doesn't always prevent dental issues. Some cats are prone to dental issues due to genetics or breed.

Dental treats are pretty worthless IMO. They're not much different from regular dry food, maybe just a bit harder. Many cats crunch once or twice and swallow the pieces whole so there's little dental effect.

Some raw feeders swear by giving raw gizzards and poultry hearts and small raw bones for dental health purposes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The_Baroness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank y'all so much. It is comforting to hear that I am not a horrible pet parent in some regard. I will definitely start working her to get used to teeth brushing sooner rather than later. I can also relay the dental treats information to my husband.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank y'all so much. It is comforting to hear that I am not a horrible pet parent in some regard. I will definitely start working her to get used to teeth brushing sooner rather than later. I can also relay the dental treats information to my husband.
Our vet highly recommends brushing!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet tech could not be less well-informed. What she told you is the direct opposite of the truth.

Dry food, with all the carbohydrates, promotes tartar and periodontal disease and obesity (and diabetes), not to mention the myriad of other health problems that are associated with chronic dehydration.

Don't let this person's bad advice lead you astray.

Bill

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The_Baroness The_Baroness Absolutely not overboard with the dental treats and brushing! Your pockets will thank you later for preventative dental care.

Also, we go to a cat only clinic and my vet said dry food is unnecessary. However, feeding some is not harmful either especially through enrichment. (For example if you wanted to use an 1/8 cup of quality dry in a day through treat balls or puzzles.

(When my vet heard Nobel hadn't had a dental yet at 14, my quote was VERY high, $2800. It ended up only being $1200 with the two removals we knew he needed.)

Here's the thing about all the videos: there's not a single longitudinal study for any of the things they're telling you. Nothing at all to prove what they are saying. Because there aren't many cat studies to begin with either, they also cannot be proven wrong. The truth is, we just don't know the answers yet! (Basically, the equivalent of saying we should all eat Paleo because historically we are like that, but for cats! And just like the human recommendation it doesn't work for all.)

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets

However, we do know that cats are the only domestic animal we have extended the lifespan of. Part of that is due to commercial foods. As we've learned some things, the pet food industry is reacting, such as the increase in wet diets and removal of certain ingredients. However, some have reacted too quickly and added different ingredients such as potatoes and peas..we don't know the effects of this long term.

Most cat food studies are done for cats with specific needs such as with long term illnesses that mandate a particular diet. That being said, any regular brand of food should be good for your cat's until your cat has issues with it or your vet suggests a specific type of food, unless your cat has a specific issue that needs addressing through diet.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Would me brushing her teeth help counteract tartar build up from only only wet food? Is there some wet food information I have misunderstood?
You can try using these products but I'm not sure if your cat is very sensitive to smell and taste and may reject them. My boy definitely reacted Plaque Off and he's also very sensitive to the Food Sprat although they mentioned its odorless but sometime I manage to sneak in some into his food.

154D4553-4ED8-479F-9D15-448E4C9E880A$L0$001~photo.jpg IMG_6754.JPG

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Oratene gel on my cats. Also bought Oxyfresh dental gel to try. Wet food may be expensive but it would mean less visits to the vet for dental work and medical issues

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Oratene gel on my cats. Also bought Oxyfresh dental gel to try. Wet food may be expensive but it would mean less visits to the vet for dental work and medical issues
I use CET toothpaste for one of our cats and Oratene for the other. (I'm not sure but one may have issues with xanthan gum, which is in CET, so I got her Oratene, just in case.)

And yes to what you say, maggie101 maggie101 , about the combination of feeding a wet diet and brushing your cats' teeth!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use CET toothpaste for one of our cats and Oratene for the other. (I'm not sure but one may have issues with xanthan gum, which is in CET, so I got her Oratene, just in case.)

And yes to what you say, maggie101 maggie101 , about the combination of feeding a wet diet and brushing your cats' teeth!
I used CET as well!

I use dental gel also. Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Gel for Cats

it was amazing at removing plaque for my older boy.

tabbytom tabbytom How long have you been using plaqueoff? I'm nervous to try it due to the high salt. Does it give good results?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How long have you been using plaqueoff? I'm nervous to try it due to the high salt. Does it give good results?
My boy did not like the smell and taste of it so it was never tried. But I remember there's one or two members used it for their cats and it was ok for them.

My boy rejects anything suspicious 🤮 :lol:

Last edited: