Food Change & Hairball causing havoc?

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi....me again

I firstly want to apologize - i only seem to come here when i am having issues with my cats and feeling alone in dealing with them. I look at others' concerns, but I just feel so overwhelmed by my apparent lack of knowledge and confidence in these matters. I have had sooooo may issues with my cats since I adopted them in Aug of 2021. I am going to endeavor to be more involved in the community. And thank you to those who have read my posts and provided feedback.

So on Dec 24 my female - Artemis - had blood in her urine and had surgery on Jan 3 for bladder stones. of course the vet wants her on the prescription vet food going forward. I had planned to transition my cats after the holidays. I was supposed to go see my family on Jan 20....but the night before that, my male - Orion - vomitted. I know that vomitting in cats is not always a cause for concern, but i was going to be leaving them for 3 nights. So off to the vet we went and my trip got pushed back a few days. the vet did say Orion had some sludge in his bladder that could form stones (he had a previous issue) so the [recription urinary food will also help him.

Went on my trip and came back Wednesday night. Since then, it has been vomitting and liquid poops.

I started the new wet food Wednesday night (full on, no transition). I started the new wet food on Thursday and i am transitioning that one. My female started the poopies first - her system seems to get upset first but bounces back really quickly. I have no worries about here.

It's my male. he started with his stool getting softer and it is now liquid. hes also had a little bit of bloody mucus. but he has also vomited. Some of the times he has vomited, there has been hair so i am thinking of hairballs. So his whole system is just.....messed up. and i am completly beside myself. Understandably, when he gets sick this does affect his appetite, but he does eventually eat and has played off and on. The food he has previously been on was grain free and apart of me is nervous its the grains. he has had a sensitive stomach since he was a kitten but due to both of their urinary issues, i am putting them on Hills Prescription C/D (wet and dry). i am not in love with the ingredients in this food, but it is what has been recommended. Before Artemis' surgery they were on farmina urinary dry and fancy feast/tiki cat wet.

Thanks to all of the issues i have had with these cats i have really really bad anxiety. I've gone through food changes with them before, but it hasnt quite been this bad. maybe it's due to the hairball issues. I do have an appointment with my vet tomorrrow.

I love my babies. but i am at my whits end right now. It's one thing after another and they aren't even 2 yet.

I'm sorry for my rambling and tears.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started the new wet food Wednesday night (full on, no transition). I started the new wet food on Thursday and i am transitioning that one.
Can you clarify? It would seem one or the other wasn't wet, but I couldn't tell. Is he still vomiting? I am not sure 'sludge' in his bladder is an immediate reason to transition his food, and especially not if he tends to have stomach issues to begin with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wet food was started wed. Dry food thurs.
He had a previous urinary issue and his sister jist had bladder stones, which is why im transitioning foods

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I would compare the prescription food to the other foods he could eat without them causing diarrhea/vomiting and see if anything (besides grains) might be the problem. Although sometimes a food change will cause loose stool with blood that tends to resolve itself with time.

Purina Pro, Iams, Wysong, and Forza 10 all have urinary care foods (both wet and dry) which are not prescription that you might want to take a look at in terms of ingredients. Royal Canin, which is prescription, also has urinary care foods too.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AriRio

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did give me antibiotics, which i am hesitant to use (hes had them several times in his short life) and told me to put him back on his dry old food until hes back to normal then try again. Hes still having icky poops and i am going to try some probiotics, but hes not vomiting anymore. He is still getting the new wet food so i'm hoping its not that. Hoping to see improvement in the next few days. Hes a sensitive boy.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only seem to come here when i am having issues with my cats and feeling alone in dealing with them. I look at others' concerns, but I just feel so overwhelmed by my apparent lack of knowledge and confidence in these matters.
Ask as many questions as you want. I’m going to be honest, I’m fairly experienced with Cats but I still have days where I’m at a complete loss, and I’m not alone - Small Cats have been interacting with us for around 12000 years and medical science still have no definitive answer why they purr. The weird one though is the entire cat species have been evolving for around 10 million years…where did they come from before that? No one knows!