Food Bowl Smell from Dishwashing Soap?

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I read that washing your cat's water and food bowls with dishwashing soap will leave an after smell that cats will avoid. What can I use instead?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you rinse it really well and use a mild unscented soap it is ok.

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An unscented soap or the blue dawn seems to work just fine for most cats. I find that cats usually dont like the scent of citrus soaps so avoiding those is best.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys. I read that washing your cat's water and food bowls with dishwashing soap will leave an after smell that cats will avoid. What can I use instead?
I have always wondered that. I bought a small hand held washer with bristles and clean after every use. One of my cats I have taken to the vet twice because of acne from bowls. She had to have an antibiotic! So hand wash is better

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wondered that. I bought a small hand held washer with bristles and clean after every use. One of my cats I have taken to the vet twice because of acne from bowls. She had to have an antibiotic! So hand wash is better
I always wash their Stainless Steel Food bowls by hand. I use Joy brand. I usually will have to pre soak Their moist food bowl. My 3.5 yr old is very fussy. If he detects any odd Odor from a food bowl or his water fountain He will complain .

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
After washing with dishwashing detergent, rinse well and it is a good practice to soak the food bowl in hot water at least once a day especially for those that uses bowls or plates made of ceramic or porcelain. Reason is that ceramic and porcelain plates and bowls have hairline cracks over time and that is not visible to the hooman eye. These cracks harbor bacteria and smell when the plates or bowls are not dried properly.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
S sil
I have wondered this myself.
Agree, that rinsing well and unscented dish soap helps.