Food And Uti

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning guys, I wanted to ask you guys for advice and what you guys do, did if you found yourself in this situation.
My cat had an UTI last year in October and the vet also found he had struvite stones. He wasn't blocked so he was immediately treated with antibiotics and put on a special food. The vet said to keep him on it for at least 3 months.
Since then he had some more problems but now his pee is good, no more stones and it seems to be well stabilized.
The food he is on right now is PURINA PRO PLAN UR and I give him 90% wet food, the dry food just as treats sometimes. Now, this food is bad, it only has 2 options fish or turkey and my cat only likes the fish one so I wanna change it.
What type of food should I give him? Does anyone have a cat that had UTI? What do you feed him now? My vet said that if he has problems again, he has to be on the special food for the rest of his life but I worry that it' so bad he can have other problems on long term.
Should I go with raw Food? Should I go with a really expensive wet food that is high in protein? I' Not sure what to do here.
Any suggestions, ideas?
Thank you

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also think wet would be best. Mine wont eat the wet if i put much extra water, but i can get away with adding a tablespoon or so to a 3 oz can and mix it in. more than that and they wont touch it, you may try with yours and see.

I would feed wet, but stay away from foods with much in the way of grains, fruits, veggies, spinach, those type of things as i have ready they can cause problems too.

my guys eat quite a bit of tiki after dark, they love the broth in this one. i also feed quite a bit of weruva paw lickin chicken, against the grain chicken flavors, fussie cat super premium, the chicken and beef in pumpkin and the chicken and liver in pumpkin, the american journey that you can get on chewy is a new fav, the poultry flavors.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dietary recommendations at catinfo.org were a godsend for our kitty with chronic urinary tract problems. Buddy kept having relapses every three months, despite the prescription food the vet told us to use.

So we transitioned Buddy to wet food only, eliminated fish products from his diet (except for fish oils), and limited his carb intake. It was like a miracle, and he has been blissfully symptom free for about three years now. And the cool part is that you don't have to use prescription food. You just have to learn to read labels. This chart was also helpful. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, I am now researching everything and I'l also talk to the vet about it. He likes wet food with. Lot of water in it but he is a picky eater, he really likes this special one he is on right now but hopefully I find one he likes more that is better for him.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boy nearly died from crystal blockage about a year ago. He has been on prescription food ever since. I alternate between Royal Canin SO and Hill's CD. He gets only the kibble. They make wet formulas, but he didn't much care for them.

I also have two Drinkwell pet fountains (the original, cheap kind), and all my babies LOVE them. Your kitty WILL drink more water with a fountain.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy nearly died from crystal blockage about a year ago. He has been on prescription food ever since. I alternate between Royal Canin SO and Hill's CD. He gets only the kibble. They make wet formulas, but he didn't much care for them.

I also have two Drinkwell pet fountains (the original, cheap kind), and all my babies LOVE them. Your kitty WILL drink more water with a fountain.
He has a fountain but he doesn' use it because I put a lot of water in his food.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is good! You may want to try the Rx wet morsels in gravy. I know they have a chicken stew with veggie option.

Tdizz11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dietary recommendations at catinfo.org were a godsend for our kitty with chronic urinary tract problems. Buddy kept having relapses every three months, despite the prescription food the vet told us to use.

So we transitioned Buddy to wet food only, eliminated fish products from his diet (except for fish oils), and limited his carb intake. It was like a miracle, and he has been blissfully symptom free for about three years now. And the cool part is that you don't have to use prescription food. You just have to learn to read labels. This chart was also helpful. :)
What food did you go with for Buddy?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food did you go with for Buddy?
At first, Buddy was only interested in shredded textured canned food. So he mostly ate stuff like Tiki Cat (Koolina Luau, and Puka Puka Luau), Weruva (Paw Lickin' Chicken, Peking Ducken, and Quick 'N Quirky), and Cats in the Kitchen (Fowl Ball, and Chicken Frick 'A Zee). Then we'd let him have something a little higher in carbs every once in a while, just to break up the monotony a bit, e.g., some of the chicken-based Fussie Cat flavors, or Weruva Nine Liver.

That worked beautifully for the first couple of years. Then Buddy developed an allergy to chicken. So now he mostly eats some flavors from Hound & Gatos (Lamb, Rabbit, and Pork), Lotus (Just Juicy Pork Stew), Redbarn (Lamb Pate), KOHA (Kangaroo and Venison Limited Ingredient Diet flavors), and Natural Balance Green Pea and Venison.

There are some other options that we tried, but they just didn't tickle Buddy's fancy, caused him to be constipated, or just didn't work out for whatever reason. If you want the whole list, I can check my spreadsheet for you. :)

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, unfortunately my baby passed away. Hopefully now he gets to eat all the yummy food he wants.