Food Allergies

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thomas and I have had a rough 6 months. Hes doing better but I'm struggling to find him something "good" to eat.

After a food switch (discontinued), he began to have reactions, first an ear infection, then for 3 days one eye was swollen shut, finally severe dermatitis which from May to October left him bald on 25-30% of his body. 2 severe staph infections, ER visit, steroids, antibiotics.... 4 vet trips later we decided to try an HP rx food. We eat Royal Canin HP and Hills zd wet and treats. 6 weeks in he was much better, 13wks he was clear.

I've begun protein testing with him in Jan. So far hes *very* allergic to fish (definitely salmon, possibly others) and duck. Reacted in 3 samples or less. Reactions to other poultry too, but not as severe. I maybe tested chicken too soon after fish, which was a severe reaction. He might've just had a second break out from fish entering his system, as those continued for weeks after going on RX to begin with.

Seems to be ok with beef and steak (need to retest more, but no reaction after 3 samples) and ironically he seems ok with shrimp (also needs retest but clear after 3 samples). I will be retesting chicken (this week) to rule in out for sure as having this as an option opens a ton of windows.

Without chicken and fish, I'm running out of options. I'd prefer to feed a limited ingredient from OTC to save some money and most importantly insure hes getting some real meat vs hp soy. So, readily available shelf wet foods I'm down to .... venison and rabbit.

I'd like to test Royal Canin PV and PR, but my vet can only special order cases. I'll know in 1 or 2 cans. They said I can return it, but that seems so wasteful as no one else uses it at my office.

Long story short....

Does anyone know where I could order single cans? Or have a recommendation on single venison or rabbit cans that dont have fish meal???

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you and/or your vet suspect that any other ingredients could be an issue for your kitty, e.g., eggs, peas, soy, wheat, etc. Or at this point, do you just need some ideas for foods that don't contain any seafood or poultry/fowl products? And does your cat prefer a specific texture?

I have a ridiculously huge and unwieldy spreadsheet where I can sort by all kinds of criteria, and will be happy to try to help you out as best I can. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be away from my computer for awhile, so I thought I'd just post this for now. :)

Please double check the ingredients for any foods for which you may be interested. I updated most of my data back in November, and haven't had a chance yet to see if there's any new info available.

This list excludes any form of seafood products (including fish oils), any form of poultry (including liver, giblets, etc.), and any meat product where the protein source is not clearly identified, such as meat by-products, liver, kidney, etc.

If you think you may have a bit more flexibility, just let me know, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Dave's Pet Food - 95% Premium Meat
Beef & Beef Liver Pate

Dave's Pet Food - Cat's Meow
95% Beef & Beef Liver

Fromm
Beef Pate
Lamb Pate

Identity
95% Free-Range Prairie Pork
95% Grass-Fed Angus Beef

Instinct (Nature's Variety) - Cups
Minced Rabbit Recipe in Savory Gravy

Instinct (Nature's Variety) Limited Ingredient Diet
Real Rabbit Recipe

Merrick - Purrfect Bistro Gourmet Shreds
Braised Beef Recipe

Newman's Own - Organics
Beef Dinner
Liver Dinner

Open Farm
Grass-Fed Beef Rustic Blend

PetGuard
Beef & Barley Dinner

Precise - Holistic Complete
Flaked Beef Formula

Pride by Instinct (Nature's Variety) - Flaked
Lucky's Lamb Recipe
Rockstar's Rabbit Recipe

Pride by Instinct (Nature's Variety) - Minced
Lovebug's Lamb Recipe
Ritzy's Rabbit Recipe

Pure-Vita
Beef Entrée

Rawz - 96% Meat
Beef & Beef Liver Pate
Rabbit Pate

tripeCAT
Beef Tripe Formula
Bison Tripe Formula
Venison Tripe Formula

Weruva - Truluxe
Steak Frites (Beef & Pumpkin in Gravy)

Wild Calling
Cowabunga (Beef)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cheeser cheeser I wonder if it would be helpful to TCS members if you can upload your spreadsheet to Google Docs, "publish" it so it can be viewed by anyone, and share the link? Then anyone can search the spreadsheet for suitable foods.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser I wonder if it would be helpful to TCS members if you can upload your spreadsheet to Google Docs, "publish" it so it can be viewed by anyone, and share the link? Then anyone can search the spreadsheet for suitable foods.
Well, my humble spreadsheet is a bit of a mess, and may not make much sense to anyone but me. And unfortunately, I don't know when I'll have a chance to see if any of the info has changed due to some ongoing family health issues. But I'm more than happy to share it if will help anyone else who's in the same boat as we've been re: getting our cat's food allergies sorted out. :)

frkrhe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty started loosing her hair too. So after doing a tick panel. She had a flare of of Rocky Mountain and Ehrlichiosis. She was treated for a month the her hair was still falling out. Other blood work looked fine. So we moved onto allergy testing. She has a multitude of allergies.
Her food allergies are egg, tomato, salmon, venison, rabbit, lamb and duck. She is also allergic to herself per say. So she needs to get a weekly bath with RX shampoo. I am pretty new here and don't know all the details of your kitty. But the allergy testing (although not cheap) opened our eyes. We have found a limited ingredient Merrick dry and pate, as well Weruva chicken she can eat. Of course I think with her other particular allergies she will end up on drops or Injections for her allergies.

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser just reading your input for the food... Does it really matter that the food is "not prescription?"

My cat is on prescription for his allergies and I am not sure if its doing the job...

I heard those other food brands are made on the same line as the regular food and may have cross contamination. Any thoughts?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser just reading your input for the food... Does it really matter that the food is "not prescription?"

My cat is on prescription for his allergies and I am not sure if its doing the job...

I heard those other food brands are made on the same line as the regular food and may have cross contamination. Any thoughts?
Well, in our case, non-prescription foods have worked out quite nicely for our cat. But we already had some experience re: evaluating non-prescription foods for other health issues by the time Buddy also developed food allergies and sensitivities, so for us, it was "just" a matter of adding some new considerations to the mix. :wink:

But each cat is different, and sometimes prescription foods really are the best option. :)

How long as your kitty been on the prescription food? Sometimes it can take up to 10 - 12 weeks to determine whether or not it's helping.

Oh, and if your vet is okay with the idea of you trying non-prescription foods, hopefully you'll find this helpful: Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients