Food Allergies and Potential Environmental- Thoughts?

jperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I've had Pita (Pain In the Ass) for about two years now and his allergies started a little after his first birthday. We've tried 13 different foods; he's currently on Hound and Gatos Pork wet food currently. I've realized that he's definitely allergic to peas and poultry (chicken, turkey, duck). We've tried the hydrolyzed food and he has extremely loose poop anytime he's on that, so I've stayed clear of that.

He's been on the pork wet food for two weeks now and his dandruff has subsided, poop is firm, no butt irritating, his stomach looks/feels healthier and less itching. The itching is still happening around the ears and under his chin, so I'm watching this but it's the best its been! He's on his last few doses of the lowest dose of steroids, so I'll see how it goes when he's completely off of these. Derm-vet wants to have him on the food for a month and have him be off the steroids before we do environmental testing. How has environmental testing been for folks? What kind of medication have they put your cats on?

This has been a journey and anyone that is going through it, I know it's expensive and extremely frustrating because you can't do anything for your little guy or girl. I just want to say, I'm here with you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Derm-vet wants to have him on the food for a month and have him be off the steroids before we do environmental testing.
Hi! Welcome!!
I don't have any experience with this but wanted to send all my very best wishes that the food works for your baby!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I myself have environmental allergies - dust mite, cockroach, some pollen, some fragrance. My best advice would be get a air cleaner that has HEPA filter. It's good for you humans in the house too.

Other than that since there is no reliable allergy test, try an elimination test. Like try to follow the rules of dust mite allergy, pollen, etc As the basics try fragrance-free products, get rid of the carpets, wash all fabric thingies at 60 degrees celcius or higher, and take away all the plants and see how it goes...

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On the topic of what can cause skin rashes and allergic inflammatory reactions you might consider that in the environment health effects of radiofrequency and electromagnetic fields can cause these and other types of inflammation. Electromagnetic field sensitivity can cause allergic skin conditions, heighten allergic sensitivity, cause autoimmune inflammatory conditions and can irritate the nervous system. I have done extensive research on this. If you are interested I can post some links at -anyone’s request. I recommend unplugging and turning off what you can when not in use. Ie: turn off wifi, put mobile phone on airplane mode, opt out of smart meter and get old fashioned mechanical meter, unplug computers,tv and appliances that you can when not in use, get rid of fluorescent, LED and halogen bulbs and instead use chip LED lights or old fashioned incandescent light bulbs, use battery operated clocks instead of electric clocks, etc. These are some things that helped me and my cat in my environment reduce our autoimmune allergic inflammatory reactions.

Last edited:

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One more thing related to food allergies. I myself had blood allergy testing and it matched the skin allergy testing I had done for food allergies. I had Tutu my kitty have her blood drawn and sent in for food allergy testing and some of what showed I already had seen her have allergic reactions to. I know vets don’t rely on it but I know informed doctors who do including my internal medicine and dermatology university doctors. It helped direct me towards some possible food proteins for Tutu to try. I think Antech and IDEXX have different foods covered. I had ACTT done. I thought it covered more proteins. Results showed the foods tested put in groups: normal (non reactive), borderline, borderline positive and positive. I could see it was accurate in foods I already knew my cat was allergic to. One example is that my cat is definitely allergic to sweet potatoe and that showed up positive.

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Pork by Hound and gatos. He suddenly stopped eating it. I don't know why. But he does have stomach issues. He's currently on the hydrolyzed salmon cat food by blue buffalo. Expensive!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on Pork by Hound and gatos. He suddenly stopped eating it. I don't know why. But he does have stomach issues. He's currently on the hydrolyzed salmon cat food by blue buffalo. Expensive!
Thankfully the Pork by Hound and Gatos is working for him. However, still some itching under the chin. He's getting environmental testing done in July. :/

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat also reacts to poultry and has reactions to ingredients in the canned commercial foods that I have not been able to pinpoint. I find it so difficult to find true limited ingredient commercial foods for her. When I first adopted her when she was ~ 6 years old, we also tried the prescription foods for a short while, but I did some research and then started looking for alternatives and lined up an integrative veterinarian. The new doc immediately referred us to a dermatologist because of my cat's skin issues and lesions she was experiencing at the time.
We started the derm process, had the skin prick test ... and I was administering subq allergen injections for about a year for environmental sensitivities, but I have since stopped because, thus far, she still has to be on low-dose methylprednisolone to control her issues. The dermatologist tried her on Apoquel and Atopica, but she could tolerate neither. I researched those medications, and I'm glad we did not get on that path. Now we just use the low-dose steroid, and she has been doing very well without the allergen injection. I'm hoping I can discontinue the steroid at some point.

I have been doing the best I can with fresh food and a few commercial canned foods that she seems to tolerate. So far, she does the best while eating fresh rabbit. I use natural cleaners, unscented litter, etc. She has issues on top of the allergies/sensitivities, but overall she is much improved from where we started! Finding a food you can work with is such a relief — as long as they don't change the recipe!

jperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, my derm just recommended environmental testing, allergy shots, and Apoquel. He’s been on both Apoquel and Atopica before... terrible results. Loss of hair, extremely drowsy. I think I may try to get an air filter as someone suggested, get rid of scented stuff, and then go from there. I have not tried that.

My cat also reacts to poultry and has reactions to ingredients in the canned commercial foods that I have not been able to pinpoint. I find it so difficult to find true limited ingredient commercial foods for her. When I first adopted her when she was ~ 6 years old, we also tried the prescription foods for a short while, but I did some research and then started looking for alternatives and lined up an integrative veterinarian. The new doc immediately referred us to a dermatologist because of my cat's skin issues and lesions she was experiencing at the time.
We started the derm process, had the skin prick test ... and I was administering subq allergen injections for about a year for environmental sensitivities, but I have since stopped because, thus far, she still has to be on low-dose methylprednisolone to control her issues. The dermatologist tried her on Apoquel and Atopica, but she could tolerate neither. I researched those medications, and I'm glad we did not get on that path. Now we just use the low-dose steroid, and she has been doing very well without the allergen injection. I'm hoping I can discontinue the steroid at some point.

I have been doing the best I can with fresh food and a few commercial canned foods that she seems to tolerate. So far, she does the best while eating fresh rabbit. I use natural cleaners, unscented litter, etc. She has issues on top of the allergies/sensitivities, but overall she is much improved from where we started! Finding a food you can work with is such a relief — as long as they don't change the recipe!

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wanted to add: When we were still seeing the derm, I did not see real improvement and permanent healing of my cat's lesions until she was switched from prednisone to methylprednisolone. This seemed to be key for her. Please keep us updated on how your kitty is doing.

jperry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: My cat is doing well! He's been on a higher dose of Apoquel twice a day. Way less scratching and just a bit under his chin sometimes. Very minimal lesions. Food allergies and environmental allergies are really trying, so anyone experiencing this with your cat--just know, you will find a solution. It will just take a lot of time and patience, and sometimes cones. :/

Leeza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: My cat is doing well! He's been on a higher dose of Apoquel twice a day. Way less scratching and just a bit under his chin sometimes. Very minimal lesions. Food allergies and environmental allergies are really trying, so anyone experiencing this with your cat--just know, you will find a solution. It will just take a lot of time and patience, and sometimes cones. :/
Hi. My kitty is having success with Apoquel, too. How is yours doing after all this time? Is he still on the Apoquel?