Food Addictions.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem that originally brought me to TCS was that Jasmine was starving herself because I could no longer find the only brand of cat food that she considers to be edible. I tried everything I could think of, looking for food with the same form factor (small chunks, about 1/4 inch across), expensive food, cheap food, every brand I could find, and nothing worked. Eventually I found out that the reason I could no longer find Aristocats brand cat food was that the name had been changed to Luvsome (the one brand that I had somehow missed trying, because Murphy is everywhere), and all was well again.

Luvsome is the Kroger store brand of cat food, by the way. Is it the healthiest cat food out there? Not by a long shot. It is, however, a good deal healthier than outright starvation, and I am not exaggerating when I say that Jasmine was actually starving herself rather than eat any other cat food.

Then, a couple months ago, I began to have trouble finding Luvsome again.:runaround: A sign appeared in my store, in the spot where it was supposed to be, saying "Temporarily Unavailable." I went to the larger grocery store a few miles away, which generally has the things I can't find at the store nearest us, and got a box of 24 cans, which kept Jasmine going for a few more weeks, but when it got low and I went back to the larger store they also had a sign saying "Temporarily Unavailable." This time I started asking questions. "Why is it unavailable?" "How temporary is 'temporarily'?" The answers I got were that there was some kind of problem with the supplier, and no one knew how long it would last. Some cogitation produced the conclusion that the most likely cause of the problem was hurricanes, which, in turn, produced the conclusion that this could go on for a l-o-n-g time. I grabbed every loose can I could reach (tall shelf, short woman) and have been feeding Jasmine from that haul, which has produced some further information. Jasmine's preferences have nothing to do with the size of the pieces; she'll eat paté and enjoy it as long as it's Luvsome paté (and not fish; she doesn't like fish). In other words, Jasmine is addicted to Luvsome cat food.

Okay, so tonight when I went to the grocery store near me they once again had the Luvsome in boxes of 24 cans; catastrophe averted. For now. But what happens when there's another hurricane and this time the plant is in its direct path? What happens if they decide to change the recipe? What happens if Kroger decides to drop Luvsome completely?! Answer: Jasmine starves, unless I can figure out something before that happens.

So, I've been reading labels. The only obvious thing in the Luvsome wet food is "meat by-products," but lots of foods contain meat by-products so if that's the addictive substance it should have been possible to find another cat food that Jasmine will eat. But then I got to wondering: What is the other thing cats find addictive? Temptations Treats. And what is it that makes Temptations Treats addictive? Animal digest. This leads to the obvious question: could "meat by-products" be code for "animal digest"? I don't know the answer to that one; does anyone else here know about it?

I seriously need to be able to feed Jasmine a variety of canned cat foods. In an ideal world I'd have her on some of the premium foods, but given our finances that's not going to happen. What could happen, I hope, is that I could find a way to wean her off of the Luvsome addiction, so that one disaster in the wrong place couldn't leave her starving to death. The obvious thing to do would be to get some animal digest and sprinkle it on other foods, but I've heard too many bad things about animal digest, and since it produces a true addiction we'd never be done with it. But what about valerian? I know -- it stinks. But I happen to be nose-blind. I'm thinking about adding it to other foods, in small quantities, and then gradually reducing the amount as Jasmine becomes accustomed to eating the other foods. Does this have any chance at all of working?

Margret

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that some people have had some success by mixing a tiny bit of the new food in with their cat's current food, and gradually increasing that amount until they've pretty much made a complete transition. I've also heard that some people have had good luck with presenting the two side by side, and one day the cat is suddenly more interested in the new food than what they've been eating. Others suggested sprinkling stuff on top of the new food to tempt a reluctant cat's appetite, such as FortiFlora, Parmesan cheese, PureBites, commercially prepared toppers, etc.

Alas, none of that worked for us. One day our cat simply stopped eating, and I had to feed him with a syringe to get some food and water into him. Then after a few days, he was like, "Screw this. I'll eat anything they put in front of me if it gets me out of another syringe feeding." It's amazing how flexible he's gotten about his menu options since then. :wink:

Wishing you the best of luck, and hope you find something that works for your kitty!

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Uh oh, that sounds like a difficult situation! Definitely worth expanding her food options now before something changes with the recipe or the brand disappears. With Saipha, it was slightly easier because she was a dry food addict and would literally eat any kibble rather than touch wet food. When I was transitioning her to wet, I tried mixing the two foods, using toppers (both treats and the old food), and also used strategic mealtimes.

Basically, I would split up her caloric needs into three meals - breakfast would be old food, lunch would be new food (with lots of delicious toppers and dry food mixed in), and dinner old food again. If she ignored the new food during lunch, she would only get 2/3 of her caloric needs, which is enough to prevent hepatic lipidosis (important to monitor weight though, with this strategy. You don't want her to lose weight too quickly). Then continue for a while. Eventually she got hungry enough to at least eat the toppers off the new food. Then she would lick a little more. Then she'd eat a quarter of the lunch portion. Over time, she finally would eat the whole lunch meal of new food. Then repeat the whole process for breakfast and dinner. Let me emphasize - this is a slooooowwww process. It took a year to get her onto wet food consistently. But if you can stockpile enough of the Luvsome, it might work for you.

The other strategies you mentioned sound fine. If she eats new foods with valerian, that's great! I definitely tried catnip at some point. I'm not sure about the animal digest vs by-products. Also try letting her lick the food off your fingers - this strategy works great if she's used to getting treats from your hands.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does the Luvsome food happen to contain any pyrophosphates, or vague listings of the type "natural flavors"? Meat by-products and animal digests are tasty, but pyrophosphates and are actually much more potent and have a much higher potential for addiction. Few brands will specifically list pyrophosphates, because if they're not synthetic they can be listed as natural flavor or under other less intimidating names, but there are a few that will actually list it. Many of the Nutro canned foods contain tetrapotassium pyrophosphate; have you tried those?

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties enjoy Luvsome too. I am a little surprised Jasmine won't even eat Fancy Feast, I've not had a cat turn it down yet. I know this one is a higher end and priced food but have you tried I and Love and You brand cat food? I feed one of mine, Mouse, since she is allergic to so many things, this food exclusively. The rabbit and beef are more expensive but they have a poultry option. I bought it originally at Kroger.

Also I think it is a supplier issue, as it had disappeared from shelves here as well for awhile.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my guys like fancy feast either. It' a good thing tthough Imo because it has mystery meat in it. Indy has an eye condition that makes it tear non stop and her nose gets blocked up with tears she loves anything with fish or seafood because she can smell it. (vet says giving her fish is better than her hunger striking)

Mixing the food is a good idea, it's especially easy to mix the meatloaf type foods since the cat can't pick it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Others suggested sprinkling stuff on top of the new food to tempt a reluctant cat's appetite, such as FortiFlora, Parmesan cheese, PureBites, commercially prepared toppers, etc.
FortiFlora is animal digest.

Alas, none of that worked for us. One day our cat simply stopped eating, and I had to feed him with a syringe to get some food and water into him. Then after a few days, he was like, "Screw this. I'll eat anything they put in front of me if it gets me out of another syringe feeding." It's amazing how flexible he's gotten about his menu options since then. :wink:
:flail:

Does the Luvsome food happen to contain any pyrophosphates, or vague listings of the type "natural flavors"? Meat by-products and animal digests are tasty, but pyrophosphates and are actually much more potent and have a much higher potential for addiction. Few brands will specifically list pyrophosphates, because if they're not synthetic they can be listed as natural flavor or under other less intimidating names, but there are a few that will actually list it. Many of the Nutro canned foods contain tetrapotassium pyrophosphate; have you tried those?
Pause while I grab a can and a magnifying glass...
Turkey & Giblets Dinner
INGREDIENTS: TURKEY, LIVER {I note that it doesn't say what kind of liver}, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, WATER SUFFICIENT FOR PROCESSING, POULTRY GIBLETS, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SALT, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, GUAR GUM, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DL-METHIONINE, VITAMINS (VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, RIBFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, BIOTIN, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID), MINERALS (FERROUS SULFATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER PROTEINATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE, MANGANESE SULFATE, SODIUM SELENITE), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, TAURINE.
Emphasis mine, and I'm not shouting; I'm quoting. The original is in all caps. I think you're right about the natural and artificial flavors. I really wish they had to go into as much detail with those as they do with the vitamins and minerals.

No, I don't think I've ever tried Nutro, but the last time I was dealing with this was 2014 and my memory isn't that good.

I know this one is a higher end and priced food but have you tried I and Love and You brand cat food?
No, I don't recall ever even noticing that brand.

Also I think it is a supplier issue, as it had disappeared from shelves here as well for awhile.
Yes, that's what they said at the store when I inquired. Supplier issues can run the gamut from their-box-manufacturer-got-flooded to their-cannery-was-hit-by-a-hurricane to all-their-employees-were-too-busy-cleaning-up-after-a-hurricane-to-come-to-work to their-truck-drivers-were-on-strike. I'm guessing that it's the third one; the timing is suspicious. However, the un-boxed cans never disappeared from the shelves (and were even on sale for 49¢ each - which is what the boxed cans come to at $11.99 for a box of 24 - and as of last night that sale was still on), so it could well be the first.

Margret

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried smearing new foods in the mouth or on the leg? They will be forced to at least taste it. I used to offer new foods by setting down the plate. Usually would sniff and walk away. I was so frustrated that I began to smear. It worked and now we have lots of canned foods in rotation. Don’t give up until they taste it. Use a small room like laundry or closet so you don’t have to chase. Try the new foods served cold too. You’d be surprised.

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are noted for being finicky eaters.
If they are fed the same thing day after day they like that, and do not like their regimen to be changed.
They do not have the same liking for variety in their diet as we do.
They will tolerate variety if it has has been part of their diet all along as for wild or feral cats.

We get around it by mixing two brands of food at all feedings.
Either one can be changed at any time, and have been.
The cats never notice it.

We normally feed dry food.
They never turn their noses up to wet food,
no matter what brand or mix when fed as a treat.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Refrigerated.
That seemed weird to us at first, because our other cat prefers his meals served at "mouse body temperature." But Oscar likes food from the fridge. Different strokes, and all that. :wink: