Resolved Follow Feature - Did It Fully Survive Migration?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone has posted about this yet.

What is the alert/ email system for notifying me of new comments posted by people I am Following?

On the old platform, I would be able to subscribe to "immediate/ daily/ etc." email notifications. This was handy.

It doesn't seem like I am getting alerts to new comments made by the lovely people I am Following. Do we only get alerts to threads or forums, etc., that we are "watching"? If so, is there a way to connect that alert feature to Followers too, so that I can get email notifications?

In our account, under "Your Alerts"/"Latest Alerts", I see that it says, "Watched Threads" and "Watched Forums". But no such topic as, well -- "Watching those you Follow". I loved reading a lot of their comments. Is the only way to do this (at this point) is to manually seek their Avatars on the "People You Follow" section on the "Members Online Now" on the home page (or in my account profile area), and click their pop-up Profile to check out their latest posts?

I'd love to get email notifications, like with the old platform.

Does my query make sense? Maybe the answer is clear and I have just not understood it yet...

Anyway, I am trying to test something. Since the new platform started, I began following two new people... so I am trying to test to see if I am getting "alerts" for their posted comments (so I can Follow their wisdom), versus the other people I subscribed to Follow when we were over on the old platform. I am trying to discover if maybe it's just that the old subscription/notifications opportunity for the Followers did not migrate to the new platform, even though everything still shows I am Following them.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It wouldn't surprise me if the full "following" functionality didn't migrate, since that seems to be the case with subscribed forums. I've just "followed" you to see what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was my next question, kind of. What about all the old threads I was subscribed to on the old platform? Others may have had more pages worth, but I had two pages worth of threads I followed, getting various stages of alerts/ emails.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also unfollowed Ondine and Boris Diamond (two people I Followed on the old site), and then I refollowed them on this new platform, to see if that solves any issues for "alerts".

(Hey, Boris! make a post today! testing, testing!) Nevermind, looks like there is no alert notification process for Followed comments...

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The threads I'd followed were still listed as such, but I wasn't getting any notifications, so I had to "watch" them again.
Oh dear. Some of the threads I followed dated back two years ago when I joined, and span the space of time since.

I am not sure if they are in my brain's memory banks!:disappointed:

edit: I know what I could do. I could go to my email, and search there for the thread titles of old notifications I had received of the threads I followed. Then go to the thread and "Re-Watch" them.
Update: duh! They are all still there under watched threads!

EDIT #2: I think the default setting for watching threads is set to getting no emails. So, yes, you have to go back to the thread and "re-watch" it and actually toggle the email notification choice. Ah-ha.

alertPref.png

Thanks, jcat.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We migrated the following things:
- Thread subscriptions https://thecatsite.com/watched/threads
- Forum subscriptions https://thecatsite.com/watched/forums
- Following https://thecatsite.com/account/following
- Followers Members Following anne | The Cat Site
- Ignores https://thecatsite.com/account/ignored

However, the as far as I remember, the alert state didn't survive.
What is the alert choice for members, for keeping track of posts of those you Follow? As far as I can tell, there is only a "Follow" or "Unfollow" button... no pop-up box to choose a type of notification? Or is it elsewhere?

D

Deleted member 115554

This is something XenForo doesn't have (at least, I'm not aware of).

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is something XenForo doesn't have (at least, I'm not aware of).
Ok, thank you. My guess is we can mark this thread as "Resolved". :thanks:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I did find something on the Home Page. You show up now for me in a People You Follow section under Members Online Now, so all I have to do is click your thumbnail there, click Profile Page, then Postings to see what you've been up to!

people you follow in members online.jpg

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find something on the Home Page. You show up now for me in a People You Follow section under Members Online Now, so all I have to do is click your thumbnail there, click Profile Page, then Postings to see what you've been up to!
Yeah, thanks! I did note that in my OP. :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
So you did - I've been spending too much time here today and am now skimming, and I don't normally follow people because it might make them paranoid about a mod watching them too closely.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
So you did - I've been spending too much time here today and am now skimming, and I don't normally follow people because it might make them paranoid about a mod watching them too closely.
I'm going to have to remember that tactic. :flail:

I don't really follow anyone either.