Follow Along As Maggie Grows

123rochelle123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat is so cute! I'd just be careful leaving a cat with a pink nose out in the sun too long can cause skin cancer!

KitCAT Lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That cat tree looks so good!!!! We made one for our cats, too. It looks like she is loving it:kneading:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of here and there's when it comes to what is optimal for an animal. Is early spay/neuter healthier? Is it healthier to leave them to develop more physically then spay and neuter and stunt them despite sexual maturity? There are a lot of back and fourths, pros and cons on both sides of the fence therefore it is all personal preference in the end and what best suits the owners. I am with VCA animal hospital I REALLY like the Dr. and what he does for his patience. I asked about spaying a kitten at 2lbs and it was highly frowned upon by him. I am all for spaying early IF it is a rescue going out for adoption in an organization. Maggie is in a permanent home so there is no rush to fix her. Her vet stated he would do it at 5 at the earliest and 6 months preferred for development reasons. He also talked us out of over loading Maggie her last visit with tests and unneeded vaccinations (which I will get to here in my next post on her thread) her chip and tests are going to happen when she is out and in surgery, keeping her stress low and keeping visits pleasant will avoid her being petrified of going in, as you can see from her photos at the vets she her eyes were nervous but she quickly calmed down and wasn't a demon for everyone to handle. We want positive associations with EVERYTHING and want what we feel is best for her. I do hope you, aswell as all the wonderful

Don't understand it either and sadly even though we have a mandatory spay and neuter law here the explosion of kittens is disgusting! Yeah, we all have or preferences. For me, I am OK with the time frame in which my man, vet and I came up with and why.
Did you find that it was difficult to keep her calm while she had stitches in and would an inflatable donut work just as well as an e collar? Maggie is crazy fire and loves to just go hard for hours with me before crashing out. What about litter? Would we be okay with the Tidy cat light weight? That's all she has ever used! She hates those pellet pines or larger granule litters. Did she get sick at all after? Sorry. I am trying to prepare a head of time.

Hi the stitches were ones which dissolved over time and she only got annoyed with the cone ! We tried an inflatable one which was better However she worked out how to get it off Her ! She intentionally went through a small gap so the cone became lose !!! Litter we just get cheap from our local superstore (£1.50 a pack ) as we change it twice a day - spoilt madam ! However once they get used to a brand best not to change - my friend told me she changed brand and her cat went to toilet outside of it !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat is so cute! I'd just be careful leaving a cat with a pink nose out in the sun too long can cause skin cancer!
Not sure who you are pertaining to with this post, but Maggie is strictly indoors. She doesn't even like sitting in the winow to look out. She's too busy following me around and if you are speaking of my blinds being open it is not direct sunlight. I have owned game bred APBTS with red pigment so I know about the sensetivity to direct sun/heat. Thanks for the concern, however my plants and myself like a naturally lit room during the day. ;)
That cat tree looks so good!!!! We made one for our cats, too. It looks like she is loving it:kneading:
Awesome! Sometimes it's so much cheaper to just build your own. We found nothing but junk trees that was a real cause for concern. They would have tipped right over and we have tile floors so that would NOT have ended well.

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember years back when I made the mistake of switching out Puff's (RIP) cat litter (ex's push ) he peed next to the litter on the tile so I went same day and got his favorite brand. Maggie uses the Tidy Cat 24/7 performance. I get it at 17.99 on chewy in 40lb box and get 2 of them because I do weekly litter dumps and have 2 decent sized trays in the house (one is actually a storage bin without a lid and a big hole cut in it with tape over the sharp edges. Lol!! It works great!) It's fine sand and Maggie has used it since she was small and don't see a reason to change what works for us and the cat unless it is medically necessary, which is why I asked. I just worry about dust from the litter, if any, getting on her. To be honest I've only owned male cats so I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with spay until now.
I think that is standard now? The desoliving stitches? so it is less hectic on them. It sucks when you are a quick healer and your skin starts to grow over them (I had it happen resently with my car accident) I think for Maggie's sake we will try the inflatable donut and have a back up e collar incase. Do they have any motion sickness like we do once we come too? I remember how sick I was after my hand surgery I would assume the same for animals.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie was fine after spay ! I worried like mad when we dropped her off at vets ! She is our first ever kitten so didnt know what to expect however think it's more of an operation as such than with males. Apparently she come round quite quickly and she was hypo for days - apparently anastetic makes some pets react this way . Yes she had slow releasing pain relieve which lasts the duration of the recovery (no extra pain killers required) and the stiches dissolve (so no getting them removed). Sorry can't recall which country you from ? I say as it seems procedure different depending upon country which I discovered . I'm in UK (London) and they even do the incision in a different place - Gracie's on her side near back leg (which I first thought bizzare). Yes stick to what you feel best. I only got gracie spayed when her vet told me to do so and had to pick a weekend when the vet we wanted to do it was free. Happened to be when she was 4 1/2 months and before her first ever heat which I was worried about but vet said it was good that way

Last edited:

loonieluna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much about the spay. I live in Canada, not the US but the procedures are more or less the same. I got my Luna spayed at 5 months old. They gave her dissolving stitches, an e-collar and 3 days worth of pain killers. The incision was about a third of the way down her belly and was a few inches long from what I remember. The stitches took a while to dissolve fully. After about two weeks, all of the stitches had dissolved, except for the thicker knotted stitch at the bottom. Her belly has white fur/pink skin and her fur hadn't completely grown back yet from the shaving so I could easily tell that there was no scarring as the incision had healed perfectly. Not even a faint line. Since she was 5 months when she got spayed, she hadn't experienced heat yet either. We left her at the vet's clinic at 8 in the morning and picked her up at 4 in the afternoon. I'm not sure if your vet will keep Maggie for a few hours after her surgery to monitor her or if the monitoring is mandatory in all spay/neuter procedures. You should ask your vet just in case. The monitoring will not only give time for the anesthetic to wear off but if anything goes wrong after the surgery the vets are already there to help her. Anyway, the vet told us everything went okay and she was up and feeling great. And she was completely herself right when we got home. She was the same hyper little kitten and we had to force her to stay in one spot so that she wouldn't hurt her newly fixed self.

Anesthetic is different for all kittens/animals I think but from what I've heard from friends' cats and from my experience with Luna, most are completely fine after they are with their people and in their home. I'm not 100% sure about the motion sickness. Luna didn't have any. But Luna has never vomited in any situation ever so I don't know if that is just how she is. Expect a little grogginess on the ride home and for the first little bit of being home. Maggie should be up and running in no time though, so don't worry too much.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a cat with a horrid spay years ago and swore that regardless of the cost every other spay would be top of the line. Rockets was at our vet with an IV and someone monitoring her vitals the whole time. Perfect recovery and no scaring. My vet used regular stitches but they were removed in a week and no problems with skin growing over. Rocket had no ill affects from the anesthesia or pain medication and I didn't cone her. Link, not a spay but other surgeries, reacts poorly to anethesia and pain medications. He is grumpy for days and probably nauseous. All cats react differently so it is hard to say if Maggie will handle it good or bad.

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the info on says and your own experiences, it really helps out a lot! I will ask her Vet a few questions in regards to recovery and will see if I can sit back there whike she recovers, if it's not too much or an open room. I'd like to be there the duration of that if possible.

maggie101 maggie101 , she is 10 weeks old.

I apologize if I am a bit late responding. It was a special occasion yesterday for myself.

Here are some photos from this week.

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has some adorable purple colored paw pads. <3
20170512_162345-1.jpg

She decided to unravel toilet paper as part of my birthday present. I call it "Kitty Confetti"
20170513_121921.jpg
she was having a blast.
20170513_122721.jpg
lol
20170513_122750-1.jpg
Maggie also likes the tub filled just enough for her to jump down and have a sip.
20170513_145250.jpg

I have more that I will upload later. Sorry for the poor quality and flash...

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Her purple and pink paw pads are just the cutest thing!

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20170514_030002.jpg
20170514_030057-1.jpg

I am so very much in love with my gorgeous girl! Perfect little white mask and fuzzy little belly. <3 such a sweetheart too! Always giving kisses, purring and love biting.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adorable! Her "snowshoe saddle" is starting to appear. *SNORGLES* to her from me and mine! :kneading:
Not to be rude, but please do not put a breed type on her. There are simply away too many pointed breeds and moggies running around to be 100% or even slightly accurate JUST by looking at an animal. Without a lineage it is just a guessing game so please, call her Maggie, Domestic, Cat or Moggie. It is actually MORE welcomed than any breed suggestions or tags. :)
She's just a fluffy little mutt and she doesn't need a breed on her. Chances are she is 100% Heinz 57 ;)

I actually call her a Squirrel, that is also acceptable as a breed. Lol!! She runs around with her tail hunched hehe.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, no problem.
Not to be rude, but please do not put a breed type on her. There are simply away too many pointed breeds and moggies running around to be 100% or even slightly accurate JUST by looking at an animal. Without a lineage it is just a guessing game so please, call her Maggie, Domestic, Cat or Moggie. It is actually MORE welcomed than any breed suggestions or tags. :)
She's just a fluffy little mutt and she doesn't need a breed on her. Chances are she is 100% Heinz 57 ;)

I actually call her a Squirrel, that is also acceptable as a breed. Lol!! She runs around with her tail hunched hehe.
"RESCUED" has always been my favorite "breed".

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love that!! We sometimes joke around and call her a purebred pointed squirrel. Lol!! Or a Street Point maggiemese. ;)

maggiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of those are pretty cute terms for her.
I'm a mutt myself, as are my beloved cats. We like it that way. We're said to be healthier. Also better-looking. :cool2::cutecat::kneading::zzzcat:
I completely agree! Mutts, especially mutt cats, are better. :)
20170514_125032.jpg
20170514_124436.jpg
20170514_124418.jpg

Just love my little nutty mutty. ;)