Folding Chair Fell On Kitty

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm out of the country right now and heard this from my partner. My nearly one-year-old Athena flopped onto her side today, as she does, but she did it on a table in the dining room. She fell off the table and onto the chair beside it, but this was a plastic folding chair, and she fell on it in such a way that it collapsed. She then fell onto the floor and the back of the chair fell on top of her.

She was scared and ran off to hide under the bed, but she stopped for pets. Later in the evening, she played rough with her brother and cuddled and ate like normal.

My partner says she's watching her closely but that nothing seems amiss. Has anyone had anything like this happen before? Should I stop worrying so much?

Thanks in advance.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Has anyone had anything like this happen before? Should I stop worrying so much?
I think you should not worry too much as your cat is up to her usual self playing with her brother and being cuddled and eating.

Cats have accidents all the time and they have a way to break their fall. But sometimes things fall on them and we are concerned too. They should be quite hardy but it's good that your partner is keeping an eye on him.

My boy has his own accidents every now and then like hitting his head while playing and mind you, its a hard knock as I can hear the sound when his head hits against the cupboard or any thing hard. There was once he even fell off the top of the cupboard while attempting to jump from one cupboard to the other and he miscalculated the distance and hit his neck against the top of the other cupboard and fell to the ground. He was kinda scared and stood there for a moment and in a short while he was back to his normal self with close monitoring of him.

It hurts us when they get hurt but they should be tough little fellas when involved in minor accidents at home.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had a steel chair fall over in a closet on one of my cats, which had gone in there exploring. Nothing happened to her, although she was pretty scared afterward.

Your kitty will most likely be okay.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is probably okay, but it's good that your partner is keeping an eye on her. Since she stopped for pets and is playing, that indicates she's okay. She might be a little sore and scared, but I think she'll be okay.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since the chair was plastic it probably wasn't too heavy which is a good thing for Athena. As other members have said, if she's acting perfectly normal, e.g. stopping for pets, eating and playing rough with her brother then I agree she should be alright. We all worry, it's what we do where our cats are concerned! ;)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are tough. A cat that runs off to fight another day is probably just fine. It's when they don't get up right away and aren't in fighting spirits later (if that's their thing to begin with) that you need to worry.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain! I hold my breath ever time I hear Dexter skids on the laminate and slams into a wall. Or headbutts a chair romping after his toys. Or misjudges a jump and slams into the back of the sofa. Or halfway falls off the cat tree chasing Emerson. The list goes on and on...(as such, he has a lower deductible for our pet insurance policies, but that's a different story ;))

As long as Athena bounces back and is acting her usual self, she should be fine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone! She's apparently still acting normal today, so I feel a bit better -- and your comments helped me calm down. It's hard to be away and not be able to check her over/comfort her myself.