Foamy Cat Urine

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat had a pee this morning that sounded normal, smelled normal. I'm assuming he hadn't gone all night so there was quite a bit. But on top of the litter at the end of the pee, it was like.... Latte foam almost. What is happening hereeeee??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Did that foam stay there/last a long time? If not, I'm wondering if it was tiny bubbles caused from a forceful stream of urine.
I don't know, but in any case, if that happens again you may want to talk with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hm, yeah they were pretty firm. I've never seen that before honestly. It looks like he peed soap! He seemed fine. No straining, sounded like a solid stream. He's on the Hills urinary care diet because he's been blocked in the past

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat who had kidney disease had foamy pees. But I'm not entirely sure if it was a direct symptom of the kidney disease, or if it was secondary because, with kidney disease, he peed BIG pees (all the time, not just first morning pee). He also peed "hard", not due to straining, just because he, like Furballsmom Furballsmom said, had a strong stream.
In any case, if it happens all the time and you find he pees a lot, and they are good amounts every time, especially if he's a bit older, a vet visit wouldn't hurt.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, he has a cat fountain with filter but refuses to use it. I mix water with his food until it's soup. He's always been a picky drinker.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could maybe try the liquid from canned vegetables such as green beans, or give him some bottled artesian water to see if he likes that better? I've read that distilled water for cats is a bit controversial, but...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading your thread here, I am reminded of this thread where duckpond wrote this...
Foam In Kitten Pee

Might be a good idea to let your vet know, and keep a close watch on your cat. Maybe he needs to vet visit to be sure all is well!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, this has absolutely nothing to do with filtered/non-filtered water.

Foamy urine is a sign of excess protein in the urine.

This might be normal for him, or it may be a sign that something is going on or that something has happened to his kidneys. (One of my cats 'came' like this, it was 'his normal' and it remained static until his passing from unrelated causes many years later.)

Now, you mentioned that he has blocked before.....blockages can cause kidney damage. It's possible this has happened.

It should be followed up - whether to determine that it's his 'normal' or that there's something going on.

Now, I've mentioned this once before to you, but it's worth bringing up again. When things get 'complicated' in feline medicine, most general-practice Vets don't measure up to the task. We and our cats do best with competent feline Vets. (often they are "cat-only")

Here's a reliable reference for you about excess urine protein: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Proteinuria

Keep us posted.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To clarify, the thoughts about filtered water et al had to do with possibly changing flavors of water to increase intake.

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
He's fine thus far! No more weird pee foam, acting normally and peeing regularly !

MeiMei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha! Happy holiday! Both Mei and I are congested at the moment so we've been sharing sauna sessions in the bathroom with the shower running! It's super cold here and the allergens are ridiculously high at the moment lol