> FLYING with my baby : what to do !?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody :)

my name is Marco, i live in Miami since 2013 but next summer I have to go back to Italy. ✈

My son/cat Adam is a 2 years old, siberian/scottish, male, neutered. 🐱

He is a very active cat, a bit of a hunter but he has only lived in my 700sf apartment since I got him.

Not even on the balcony. Just 2-3 trips to the vet.

I have to say that I suffer a lot when I see him not doing well, even if it's just some meowing to go to the vet in the car.

I'm very protective. 💙

So, next year I will have to bring him with me to Italy, there are 6 months ahead but I want to start thinking and planning this, the best I can:

- What is the best way to travel internationally? Anybody has experience with booking different classes ? Can you get a cat on Business class (having more room for me and him would be way better but I'm not sure you can) ?

- What is the best "container" for him ? A regular, hard carrier with a blanket on the floor ?

- It's a 10 hour flight, leaving at night.How do you prepare for it ? Better to feed him before or not ? How many hours before ? What about the litter needs ?

- Most important. Are there safe and healthy products to give him to feel relaxed and not to anxious ? CBD ? Something else ?

Any other tip or recommendation ?

thanks a lot, this means a lot for me !🙏🏻

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ciao Marco, hi Marco ;)
I'm Italian too.

- What is the best way to travel internationally? Anybody has experience with booking different classes ? Can you get a cat on Business class (having more room for me and him would be way better but I'm not sure you can) ?
As far as I know, not all airlines accept pets on board in the cabin along with their owner. Some of them, too many, I think, only accept pets in the special compartment, but I would never trust that way of travelling. I have read of too many incident with lost/deceased pets.
A business class would allow yo umore room for you and your Adam, but it might be really expensive.
Check with them, and I would avoid a particular airline (I cannot mention it here, I think) that has too a long record of incidents.

- What is the best "container" for him ? A regular, hard carrier with a blanket on the floor ?
There are carriers that are expecially designed to fit and match IATA requirements, so you'd better stick with them, in order to avoid any kind of argument at the check-in.

- It's a 10 hour flight, leaving at night.How do you prepare for it ? Better to feed him before or not ? How many hours before ? What about the litter needs ?
I wouldn't feed him shortly before departure, it might him feel sick. And I don't think he would be hungry during the flight either. But I advise you to carry some water with you, to be dispensed in his bowl, if he's brave enough to drink from it during the flight, or through a syringe with its needle removed. The latter one is what I used to do when I travelled with my cats by car. I would stop every hour or so and give them a small amount of water straight in their mouth.
As for their needs, carry some puppy pads with you, wipes, a plastic bag for waste, and if it's the case you know how you have to use them. I wouldn't put a blanket in the carrier. If Adam pees in the carrier, you will end up with a wet blanket. A puppy pad can be disposed of and replaced easily.

- Most important. Are there safe and healthy products to give him to feel relaxed and not to anxious ? CBD ? Something else ?
I would ask your vet about this.

Any other tip or recommendation ?
I don't know, but on your arrival in Europe you might be asked to prove Adam has all vaccinations up-to-date, including and mainly rabies, with a specific logbook (libretto sanitario) and a proof of ownership of your cat, but if Adam is microchipped you will have no problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Antonio, grazie.

yes ill take care of all the paperworksneeded with my Vet, 1-2 months before departure

and yes I'll start calling airlines in a month or 2 to see which one is more responsive and helpful with this matter

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not flown an animal internationally, but did fly my current GSD out here as a puppy from out of state. Basically, everything that Antonio65 Antonio65 is saying applies to all types of air travel with animals. I believe that to get on the plane in the US you will need a medical certificate which says that your cat is healthy and has no communicable diseases. Does Italy have a quarantine law for incoming animals? Start checking things now so that you don't have a last minute confusion.

When Orlando came out to CA, there was a requirement that he be prebooked with the airline so that they could limit the number of animals just in case by some odd coincidence a bunch of people showed up on the same day all needing to fly with pets.

Carriers do have to match airline specifications so make sure that you stick with those. I would absolutely not put an animal in cargo and with a cat you aren't facing a size issue like you would be with a bigger pet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My daughter and son-in-law moved with their medium sized dog to the UK from the US a few months ago. She started preparing for the trip with their dog at least six months in advance. You are wise to start your plans now so you don't have any hiccups. :thumbsup: Regarding Business class she checked all the major airlines, fees for checked baggage, etc. She chose the airlines that had the best price for Premium Economy because it gave them extra legroom for their pup and included two free checked bags for each of them. I know there was some concern over paperwork from the vet. I don't remember all the details but I could find out if you'd like - she needed a special health/vaccination certificate for her state's capital that had to then be signed and dated by her vet within 48 or 72 hrs. of their departure. I'm not explaining it exactly correct but I'm sure your vet would be familiar with the protocol.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Italy have a quarantine law for incoming animals? Start checking things now so that you don't have a last minute confusion.
No, we don't have a quarantine law for pets, but I'm sure of this for EU pets travelling across borders.
UK and Ireland used to have a quarantine period for incoming pets, but I think they lifted it.

Anyway some restrictions may apply to pets coming from outside EU, so Marco would better check a few months prior to the departure.

We might have quarantine for people, though :lol: :lol: :lol: