Flying With A Bsh

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Next month we'll be taking our cat on a long distance flight, so I wanted to see if any of you have been through this and can give me some advice.

I was thinking on getting him Rescue Remedy. Any suggestions on how to use that? Should I start giving him the drops a couple if days before the flight or just on that day?

He'll be flying in the cargo section, since it is a long flight and he's a bit too big to be under a passenger seat for that long. The airline doesn't consider him a snub-nosed breed, but others do, so I'm a bit worried how the flight might affect him. He doesn't have any respiratory issues as far as I can tell, but still... So has anyone had a BSH fly as cargo? Did everything go well?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you sure you can't take him in the cabin with you? How long is the flight?

I don't have a BSH, but I have friends who fly their BSH cats to shows fairly often, and I know they're always in the cabin under the seat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a 12 hours flight and he's a 5kg cat who gets furious as soon as we put him in a bag. Even the short trips to the vet have been a struggle every time so I really don't think he would handle it too well. The carrier that goes in the cargo section is way bigger, he can actually stand and turn around in it so my thinking is it would be more comfortable for him this way.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you already tried the big carrier on a short car trip, and have you found that he is in fact more comfortable in it? Or are you just hoping he will be more comfortable because it's bigger?

I fly with my cats to shows a lot. I routinely put large cats under the seat (in fact I usually fly with two cats together in one carrier under the seat, I just pack them in there like sardines). It's safer in the cabin than in cargo, and probably a lot less scary for the cats, too. Maybe you can experiment with different soft sided carriers to see if you can find one he's more comfortable in?

If you must put him in cargo, I would not use any type of medication or other product (even Rescue Remedy), unless it's something he's accustomed to having every day. Cats can have unexpected reactions to things.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you take him in the cabin, and for future vet trips, here's their website and some other products;

Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway, although diffusers are expensive and not always an answer.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat