Flying across the country with anxious senior cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everybody,

Thank you so much for all the amazing advice. I am making a list of different things to try out before the dreaded flight and thankfully since we have a month it should be plenty of time for me to figure out what works best.

The vet visit wasn't fun yesterday. It's been a year since the last time we took him to the doctor so he had forgotten car rides were a thing and felt very much betrayed when we made him go through one again. We got there early so he was seen right away and we were out within the hour but he kept pooping himself in the car and then again with the doctor because he was just so very nervous :(

He got a rabies vaccine for the year and he got his ears cleaned. His wellness check was all good and the doctor gave him gabapentin for the flight since that's something he's been exposed to before.

The vaccine unfortunately did leave him with some upsetting side effects. He came back home and he ate right away but then when I fed him again in the evening he didn't want to touch his food. He was also barely moving, and when he did move he was moving very slow. I got scared so i called the vet and she said that usually cats don't get side effects but if they do, lethargy and loss of appetite are usually some of the more common ones. She said he should be feeling all better in 24-48 hours and he did eat his full breakfast, in increments today. He is still not 100% better but he did meow at me this morning before coming to sleep with me and then he walked around the house for a little bit and used his litter box.

As I expressed in earlier comments, he just hates his carrier now and he knows that it only means bad things so i'm just not sure how to get him more comfortable with that. He also just absolutely hates going outside so i just want to try everything I can to possibly make the airport experience a bit more easy for him.

I will keep you guys updated on our progress but in the meantime, any more advice you all have is greatly appreciated. Thank you all again for all your help.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would keep the carrier out until your trip so hopefully he will get more comfortable with it. If you can entice him in with treats, praise him and give him love. Then try putting him in it at home for a few minutes and reward him when you are done. If you have time, maybe take him for short car rides in the carrier and then give him treats and love.

Basically using desensitization, rewards and love. It might help a little.

microcaptain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have some experience with this and I can offer a few tips from what I learned.

1) Get a leash for your cat and put it on him. The last thing you want to do is have a cat get loose in the airport and take off so that you'll never see the cat again. Don't assume that your cat won't run. Cats in these situations can be terrified and will look to try to get some place they think is safe. Try to get a leash that you can attach one end to the carriere.

2) When you get through security, they have to take your cat out of the carrier to scan the carrier. Don't do this. Ask for a private room. TSA will be happy to take you to an enclosed room where you can take your cat out and they can inspect the carrier. This will lesson your cat's anxiety and help prevent your cat from bolting.

3) Some suggest you stop food and fluids several hours before the flight to reduce the chance of the cat needing to go to the bathroom. I've honestly found though that if a cat is anxious, it's not going to want to go to the bathroom.

4) If you do want to give your cat the opportunity to use the bathroom, bring a portable / disposable litterbox and take your cat to a private family bathroom. If you do this and give the cat an opportunity to walk around, keep it on a leash. You don't want the cat finding some way to burrow itself somewhere in the room where you can't get him/her out of.

5) When you put the cat under the seat, try to maybe put your socked foot somewhere near the carrier so the cat can smell you and knows that you're there. It might calm the cat a little bit.

6) You can try Feliway spray to help keep your cat calm in its carrier. I personally did not have any luck with this, but a lot of other people swear by it.

7) Be aware that your cat might scream/cry the entire flight. The engines of the plane are loud and will drown out most of a cat's cries but if you're worried about it, try to sit in the louder area of the plane, which I believe is around or right behind the wings.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You’ve gotten great tips. Just to start out here, I know of a huge amount of kitties who have traveled and just chilled in their carriers. Most either sleep or just stay at the back of the carrier during the trip.
I suggest you also take some baby wipes if they are allowed in case you need to clean anything. I had to evacuate 16 cats once and they were all okay but one did a poop during the trip. I had towels. Washcloths, wet wipes ( no alcohol kind) and trash bags. Thank goodness! I ended up having to transfer to an extra carrier. I use a harness and leash since my guy is like Houdini! He gets the collar off. I love the previous post and the part about screening in a private room! Excellent advice! Do call the airline a couple of times and confirm everything with multiple people there to cover any possible conflicts in information. Do check regularly during the flight to make sure kitty doesn't Claw the carrier. Being alert and aware will prevent any problems. I also suggest you try draping something over the carrier if he is scared. Sometimes that helps.
As for getting him to accept the carrier, I use mine as permanent cat houses here. They are left out and open and contain a shirt or towel with my scent on it. I give treats there, new toys and try to make the carrier comfortable enough that the kitties run to it they get scared. It has made vet trips much easier. If your kitty likes it, Gerber 2nd food all meat baby food that is slightly warmed is the thing I use to lure kitties. Just a small amount at a time for a treat. Offering that ONLY if he is in the carrier may help to show that carriers can be good places. If you have a second carrier, you might use that one if he does not already associate it with vet trips. The advice about conditioning kitty with short, non vet, cat trips is also excellent. Let him know that some trips just end up back home with a favorite treat. Having a month to work on this should help a lot! He may not learn to love the carrier but at least he will understand that it’s a place to associate with home and good things sometimes.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just don't how to get him to stop hating his carrier. After the vet visit yesterday he just absolutely hates that thing. i'm not sure what I can do to get him interested in it again. I think I'll start leaving treats inside but as of right now he's been having a major loss of appetite (rabies vaccine side effect) and he's not been ver interested in his treats.

I think I'm going to try experimenting with a few things to see which one makes him the most calm so i will add the rescue remedy to my list for that. That's good advice about leaving him under the seat, when my cat is scared he wants nothing to do with me or anyone so he'll definitely appreciate being left alone for the flight.

The carrier i have for him has some metal like on the zipper and the handle, do you think that would also pick up that radio-frequency? If so I am definitely going to switch it out to be on the safe side.

That is amazing though that your cat has gone through multiple flights, that truly gives me hope that mine will survive just this once. I am just so very nervous for him.
The metal in a cat carrier will absolutely not “pick up WiFi” or make your cat uncomfortable in any way on a plane. That’s not how wifi works, and if that was the case you’d be getting internet from your earrings or braces on planes. Any sturdy soft carrier that fits under the seat is ok - lots of people like the Sherpa ones but they’re on the pricey end.

I just flew with my cat for the first time and called the vet a few weeks beforehand to say I was taking him on the plane and wanted to know if they had tips or recommendations for flying with cats. He’d had an exam fairly recently so the vet just gave me some info about logistics (i.e. get a harness and leash for when the cat goes through security, bring rabies papers, etc) over the phone and also prescribed trazodone for anxiety. It went very smoothly!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have nothing really to say about cats, because they can fit under the seat. I would never fly with a bigger dog, they are put in baggage and thousands die every year because it is cold and not pressurized. When they die you are given their "value" of a few hundred bucks.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would keep the carrier out until your trip so hopefully he will get more comfortable with it. If you can entice him in with treats, praise him and give him love. Then try putting him in it at home for a few minutes and reward him when you are done. If you have time, maybe take him for short car rides in the carrier and then give him treats and love.

Basically using desensitization, rewards and love. It might help a little.
Definitely going to try this out. Even if he doesn't love it, maybe I can get him to not hate the carrier as much.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have some experience with this and I can offer a few tips from what I learned.

1) Get a leash for your cat and put it on him. The last thing you want to do is have a cat get loose in the airport and take off so that you'll never see the cat again. Don't assume that your cat won't run. Cats in these situations can be terrified and will look to try to get some place they think is safe. Try to get a leash that you can attach one end to the carriere.

2) When you get through security, they have to take your cat out of the carrier to scan the carrier. Don't do this. Ask for a private room. TSA will be happy to take you to an enclosed room where you can take your cat out and they can inspect the carrier. This will lesson your cat's anxiety and help prevent your cat from bolting.

3) Some suggest you stop food and fluids several hours before the flight to reduce the chance of the cat needing to go to the bathroom. I've honestly found though that if a cat is anxious, it's not going to want to go to the bathroom.

4) If you do want to give your cat the opportunity to use the bathroom, bring a portable / disposable litterbox and take your cat to a private family bathroom. If you do this and give the cat an opportunity to walk around, keep it on a leash. You don't want the cat finding some way to burrow itself somewhere in the room where you can't get him/her out of.

5) When you put the cat under the seat, try to maybe put your socked foot somewhere near the carrier so the cat can smell you and knows that you're there. It might calm the cat a little bit.

6) You can try Feliway spray to help keep your cat calm in its carrier. I personally did not have any luck with this, but a lot of other people swear by it.

7) Be aware that your cat might scream/cry the entire flight. The engines of the plane are loud and will drown out most of a cat's cries but if you're worried about it, try to sit in the louder area of the plane, which I believe is around or right behind the wings.

Hope this helps and good luck!
These are all amazing advice thank you so much. I definitely agree on number 3, I highly doubt that my cat would be feeling comfortable enough while attached to harness to go use the litter box. Hopefully he can survive a few hours without it.

About the private room, do you think that's less uncomfortable for him than walking with him through the scanner? I only ask because I'm worried that those TSA people will mishandle my baby thinking I'm hiding drugs or something with him but I don't know how it goes in one of those private rooms. I also know that my cat will hate being out with all the people surrounding us if we do go through a scanner. I just can't decide which would be the easier option for him.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You’ve gotten great tips. Just to start out here, I know of a huge amount of kitties who have traveled and just chilled in their carriers. Most either sleep or just stay at the back of the carrier during the trip.
I suggest you also take some baby wipes if they are allowed in case you need to clean anything. I had to evacuate 16 cats once and they were all okay but one did a poop during the trip. I had towels. Washcloths, wet wipes ( no alcohol kind) and trash bags. Thank goodness! I ended up having to transfer to an extra carrier. I use a harness and leash since my guy is like Houdini! He gets the collar off. I love the previous post and the part about screening in a private room! Excellent advice! Do call the airline a couple of times and confirm everything with multiple people there to cover any possible conflicts in information. Do check regularly during the flight to make sure kitty doesn't Claw the carrier. Being alert and aware will prevent any problems. I also suggest you try draping something over the carrier if he is scared. Sometimes that helps.
As for getting him to accept the carrier, I use mine as permanent cat houses here. They are left out and open and contain a shirt or towel with my scent on it. I give treats there, new toys and try to make the carrier comfortable enough that the kitties run to it they get scared. It has made vet trips much easier. If your kitty likes it, Gerber 2nd food all meat baby food that is slightly warmed is the thing I use to lure kitties. Just a small amount at a time for a treat. Offering that ONLY if he is in the carrier may help to show that carriers can be good places. If you have a second carrier, you might use that one if he does not already associate it with vet trips. The advice about conditioning kitty with short, non vet, cat trips is also excellent. Let him know that some trips just end up back home with a favorite treat. Having a month to work on this should help a lot! He may not learn to love the carrier but at least he will understand that it’s a place to associate with home and good things sometimes.
This is a great suggestion about using a specific food that he loves and can ONLY associate with the carrier. I am absolutely going to try that out. Carrier training would be great for him anyway since he's starting to get old and probably going to need to see the vet more frequently. Thank you so so much!!!!

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The metal in a cat carrier will absolutely not “pick up WiFi” or make your cat uncomfortable in any way on a plane. That’s not how wifi works, and if that was the case you’d be getting internet from your earrings or braces on planes. Any sturdy soft carrier that fits under the seat is ok - lots of people like the Sherpa ones but they’re on the pricey end.

I just flew with my cat for the first time and called the vet a few weeks beforehand to say I was taking him on the plane and wanted to know if they had tips or recommendations for flying with cats. He’d had an exam fairly recently so the vet just gave me some info about logistics (i.e. get a harness and leash for when the cat goes through security, bring rabies papers, etc) over the phone and also prescribed trazodone for anxiety. It went very smoothly!
That sounds wonderful and it's exactly what I am hoping for mine too. Thank you for letting me know about the wifi too, I am honestly having every irrational fear possible while thinking about this flight so it's great to know that one is not a possibility.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have nothing really to say about cats, because they can fit under the seat. I would never fly with a bigger dog, they are put in baggage and thousands die every year because it is cold and not pressurized. When they die you are given their "value" of a few hundred bucks.
That is absolute bullsh*t honestly. They shouldn't allow large dogs at all if they can't let their owners keep them in a seat. People's pets are literally everything to them and to offer monetary value for their life is completely absurd.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I got my kitty Louie , someone flew with him and I think TSA just peeked in his carrier and didn't handle him much or force him to come out. He is also a very anxious boy - but I didn't fly with him. Poor thing was on a long flight and got delayed several times. When he got to me- it took a few days to get him to eat and drink and feel okay.
I do give him Gabapentin before vet visits, but I would ask about this and also test it on him after he is fully bounced back from vaccines.

microcaptain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are all amazing advice thank you so much. I definitely agree on number 3, I highly doubt that my cat would be feeling comfortable enough while attached to harness to go use the litter box. Hopefully he can survive a few hours without it.

About the private room, do you think that's less uncomfortable for him than walking with him through the scanner? I only ask because I'm worried that those TSA people will mishandle my baby thinking I'm hiding drugs or something with him but I don't know how it goes in one of those private rooms. I also know that my cat will hate being out with all the people surrounding us if we do go through a scanner. I just can't decide which would be the easier option for him.

I think it's definitely better to go the private room route. If you just do the scanner, you have to take your cat out while the carrier goes through the x-ray machine, and hold him and he's surrounded by people and things he is not familiar with and you risk him getting very upset, scratching and biting you to get away and bolting.

When you request the private room, in my experience, what they usually do is take you into an enclosed room, they ask you to take your cat out and you hold him while they inspect the carrier. Once they've done that, they leave you to get everything back in order and allow you to put him back in the carrier before you exit. At least in this situation, if he gets away from you, he can only go so far, locked in the room and he doesn't have an entire airport to run through / hide in.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote sedation if your vet says it is OK. That said get your cat used to his travel carrier now & his harness. Lastly once you move, have you considered adopting a neutered/fixed calm confident 2-5 year old cat? My nervous/easily stressed kitty calms down a lot when his calm confident brother is around.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got my kitty Louie , someone flew with him and I think TSA just peeked in his carrier and didn't handle him much or force him to come out. He is also a very anxious boy - but I didn't fly with him. Poor thing was on a long flight and got delayed several times. When he got to me- it took a few days to get him to eat and drink and feel okay.
I do give him Gabapentin before vet visits, but I would ask about this and also test it on him after he is fully bounced back from vaccines.
Awww what a brave little soul. I'm so glad he got through that it sounds just awful. TSA just makes me nervous and always has but hopefully they will be cooperative for my boy as well.

I am actually testing out the gabapentin today to see how he does. So far he is just having a peaceful sleep, I haven't tried disturbing him but I think I will put him in the carrier later to see how he does with it.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's definitely better to go the private room route. If you just do the scanner, you have to take your cat out while the carrier goes through the x-ray machine, and hold him and he's surrounded by people and things he is not familiar with and you risk him getting very upset, scratching and biting you to get away and bolting.

When you request the private room, in my experience, what they usually do is take you into an enclosed room, they ask you to take your cat out and you hold him while they inspect the carrier. Once they've done that, they leave you to get everything back in order and allow you to put him back in the carrier before you exit. At least in this situation, if he gets away from you, he can only go so far, locked in the room and he doesn't have an entire airport to run through / hide in.
that definitely sounds like the ideal choice. I would likely prefer the private room just because it'll mean fewer people around us while he's out of the crate. I'm hoping TSA will be respectful and just leave him be while they check the carrier in the private room.

maurice12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I vote sedation if your vet says it is OK. That said get your cat used to his travel carrier now & his harness. Lastly once you move, have you considered adopting a neutered/fixed calm confident 2-5 year old cat? My nervous/easily stressed kitty calms down a lot when his calm confident brother is around.
I'm doing a practice dose of the sedative today and so far he just seems to be sleeping through it which is good.

I have considered getting another cat and they actually tried it a few times when he was younger but he did not like sharing a home with another cat and would always either get very scared or start fighting the other cat. I wasn't around for those interactions though so I'm not sure if it'd be different now. Definitely something I consider all the time but I'm afraid that he'll get jealous of having to share my attention with another cat. He is very possessive of me haha.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww what a brave little soul. I'm so glad he got through that it sounds just awful. TSA just makes me nervous and always has but hopefully they will be cooperative for my boy as well.

I am actually testing out the gabapentin today to see how he does. So far he is just having a peaceful sleep, I haven't tried disturbing him but I think I will put him in the carrier later to see how he does with it.
He may stumble when he walks. Louie kind of slides and "drunk walks" on gabapentin, and does get sort of sleepy.

microcaptain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that definitely sounds like the ideal choice. I would likely prefer the private room just because it'll mean fewer people around us while he's out of the crate. I'm hoping TSA will be respectful and just leave him be while they check the carrier in the private room.

They typically have you take your cat out of the carrier and hold him while they inspect the carrier. Once they're done, they have you put the cat back in. I've never seen them touch, inspect, or go near an animal in private screening. It's probably the last thing they want to do.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They typically have you take your cat out of the carrier and hold him while they inspect the carrier. Once they're done, they have you put the cat back in. I've never seen them touch, inspect, or go near an animal in private screening. It's probably the last thing they want to do.
This was just a regular screening not in a private room but when I flew with my cat before Xmas the TSA lady “patted” him down around his harness and then when she was done she was like “wow he is SO soft, can I pet him??” :lol: