Flushable cat litter ?

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well currently I have World's Best cat litter in my litter boxes and I really just can't understand why this litter is so popular. I've only been using it for maybe a week and this stuff smells SO bad! It smells sickly sweet for the first 2 days and after that it just smells rancid!

I like the fact that it's flushable. And it clumps extremely well. Are there any other clumping, flushable litters out there?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do Not flush any litter... many others claim to be flushable but flushing instructions vary and most you have to do a multi step process...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would never use a flushing litter because I just don't think it is good for the pipes and could lead to clogs.

I don't need to have DH unclogging pipes caused by the kitties!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Maybe in homes with newer plumbing it might be safer. I wouldn't do it if your plumbing is 40+ years old, though.

To the OP: As you know, I use chicken feed. And yes, there's that sweet smell with it, too - I sort of like it.
I've never noticed a rancid smell.

The reason so many like natural litters is because they don't have the clay litter related health risks.

You may also consider trying the feline pine scoopable.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Cat's Best Öko Plus which is clumping and flushable (wood/plant based). I only flush the 'number twos' though because this building has 40+ year old pipings..
The litter dissolves in large amounts of water, but I don't want to risk it.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always used the wood based cat litter now and I do flush it. I used one once and it had clay in it and this smelt absolutely rancid too, is there health risks with clay based? I'll stick to the wood, it smells sort of piney when they do their business on it.x

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

is there health risks with clay based?
The dust isn't healthy in the lungs - the clay itself will swell and clump and silica dust is just bad all together. There are also some risks with ingesting it (licking their feet). Plus a lot of clay litters will have extra additives to make it clump better and perfumes, these are very irritating to some cats and can cause allergy like responses. (clay litter is also extremely aggravating to my DH's asthma).

IMO, it's just better to use something natural that will quickly break down anyways.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gray kitty

It smells sickly sweet for the first 2 days and after that it just smells rancid!
Oh my, that's the most accurate complete description of WBCL I've ever seen on this site. I agree 500 percent.

And it's expensive to boot!

The only positive is the way it clumps -but the negatives are much too much. Some varieties of Tidy Cats clump just as nicely.

I do not know of any other flushable litter.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using WBCL and flushing it for the last five years. So far no problem.

To me it's a life saver. I am partially disabled and disposing of litter in the trash is not an option.

I don't notice any bad smell if I keep it scooped. Also, I only have one cat but still use the multi-cat formula.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^Maybe in homes with newer plumbing it might be safer. I wouldn't do it if your plumbing is 40+ years old, though.

To the OP: As you know, I use chicken feed. And yes, there's that sweet smell with it, too - I sort of like it.
I've never noticed a rancid smell.

The reason so many like natural litters is because they don't have the clay litter related health risks.

You may also consider trying the feline pine scoopable.
I bought a small bag of the feline pine scoopable and am going to try it after the worlds best runs out (it was expensive so I don't want to waste it!), but the feline pine scoopable doesn't say it is flushable

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

I use Cat's Best Öko Plus which is clumping and flushable (wood/plant based). I only flush the 'number twos' though because this building has 40+ year old pipings..
The litter dissolves in large amounts of water, but I don't want to risk it.
I don't think thats available in U.S. , I havn't been able to find it.

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

I always used the wood based cat litter now and I do flush it. I used one once and it had clay in it and this smelt absolutely rancid too, is there health risks with clay based? I'll stick to the wood, it smells sort of piney when they do their business on it.x
What brand of wood based litter do you use? I got a little bag of feline pine scoopable but it does not say its flushable.

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Oh my, that's the most accurate complete description of WBCL I've ever seen on this site. I agree 500 percent.

And it's expensive to boot!

The only positive is the way it clumps -but the negatives are much too much. Some varieties of Tidy Cats clump just as nicely.

I do not know of any other flushable litter.
I'm glad to see there are people who have the same opinion about it. I was starting to think there was something wrong with since everyone else raves about what great odor control it has.

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I've been using WBCL and flushing it for the last five years. So far no problem.

To me it's a life saver. I am partially disabled and disposing of litter in the trash is not an option.

I don't notice any bad smell if I keep it scooped. Also, I only have one cat but still use the multi-cat formula.
I use the multi cat formula also, have two cats who use that box, and scoop multiple times a day, but it smells so bad I can't wait until its used up so I can try something else.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I bought a small bag of the feline pine scoopable and am going to try it
If I remember this right, FP stinks on the same level as WBCL.

Can you tell I've tried several brands of litter in the last 7 years?

tico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well currently I have World's Best cat litter in my litter boxes and I really just can't understand why this litter is so popular. I've only been using it for maybe a week and this stuff smells SO bad! It smells sickly sweet for the first 2 days and after that it just smells rancid!

I like the fact that it's flushable. And it clumps extremely well. Are there any other clumping, flushable litters out there?
soooooooooo agree.

I use the pine pellets. They're nice and neat (and cheap!!!) until they start to break down and leave sawdust - i just keep it swept, and change the whole thing about once every 7-12 days. One $12 bag lasts me 3-4 months!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What brand of wood based litter do you use? I got a little bag of feline pine scoopable but it does not say its flushable.
Its just one of our local shops own and its really good.I haven't had a problem with flusing it as its pretty light and biodegradeable, not heavy and will get stuck like normal cat litter.x

kbo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My plumber said never ever flush cat liter.

gray kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KBO

My plumber said never ever flush cat liter.
There is a big difference between cat litter and flushable cat litter.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don't care what the bag says - talk to your plumber if you have your heart set on flushing litter and get an ok from him. Mine says nothing that a human hasn't eaten should go into a toilet.

But, he says people who ignore that advice are excellent for the plumbing profession.