Fluoxetine - Sneezing?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today was Simon's first dose of Fluoxetine for his anxiety/separation anxiety issues, so I don't expect to see any improvement for awhile yet - but I've been on the watch for potential side effects (What can I say? His sudden reaction to the last round of vaccines has me a bit on edge). He hasn't had any MAJOR reaction, but I have noticed he's been sneezing more today. It's entirely possible that he picked up a cold from the visits to the vet (especially since he just seem prone to the occasional cold), but do y'all think this is a side effect of the fluoxetine that I should keep an eye on? If it IS a side effect, how soon do you think it would take him to adjust and stop sneezing?

(Yes, I'm aware that I'm a bit neurotic about my cat's health; Sue me :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: )

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't see sneezing listed as a possible side effect, but with any medication, I supposed anything is possible. I wouldl think your best bet is to simply call the prescribing Vet and mention it to them and see what they think.

Hoping he just inhaled a little dust and is trying to get it out of his nasal passages.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi dbk817 !

If he has herpesvirus, it's also possible that the ('ordinary'/normal) stress of the Vet visit could have triggered an outbreak.

Do you know if he has it? Does he have periodic 'sneezies' or runny eyes/nose, even discharge from one/both eyes?

About Fluoxetine, here's a reliable, plain-language coverage for you: veterinarypartner - Fluoxetine

There is one potential side effect I'd want to know about:
"Appetite reduction has also been described..."​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow - That is very possible. He gets pretty stressed out over going to the vet, and we don't know for sure if he has had herpesvirus or not (though the vet thinks it's likely due to Simon's history with URI and the fact he was in an open cat room at the shelter prior to adoption). I think that's what's keeping me from calling the vet and making a fool out of myself, knowing that this likely just a flare up that we have to wait out.

The appetite reduction I'll have to watch for as he's already smaller - 8.4 pounds, the vet said we'd take action if he dropped to 8 pounds or lower. He eats like a horse, though, so as much as I complain about him eating us out of house and home, I guess that's a good thing.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I hear of a cat with "a history of URIs".........I smell a rat!

Translation: I immediately suspect herpesvirus. And, it's really upsetting to me that they're all prescribed antibiotics...and the guardian is none the wiser (besides the known dangers of over-prescribibg of a/bs).

For me, the easiest way to see if it's FHV is to give a short course of L-lysine.........and, if it disappears........BINGO ! You have your diagnosis/answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
white shadow white shadow - when I initially took him in with the first (and most severe URI), we were told it was just a cold we had to wait out. When it got increasingly more severe, the vet said it was likely herpesvirus and the most we could do was give fluids and keep comfortable until it ran it's course. He DID get a round of antibiotics, but at the time, we suspected he had also developed pneumonia in addition to a herpesvirus flare up and honestly, he was so sick that we were throwing the kitchen sink at it. Our vet called a colleague who suggested l-lysine, and he's been on it ever since. We have to adjust the dosing every now and then, but if it keeps him from being that sick again, I'm fine with that. I'll just up his dose for a couple of days and go from there.

I'm willing to bet the stress of the initial visit, combined with the poor reaction he had to the vaccines, just caused his system to go haywire.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, then......you've nailed it !

I treat periodic flares the same way - by adding it in. You will get the same effect, I think, by increasing the dose.

Excellent outcome !