Fluids for kidneys

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I am now giving my 16 year old Patina fluids each day due to her kidney issue. She is such a sweetheart of a cat and a wonderful patient she lays still, and while the thought of having to administer a needle to her first freaked me out, I am doing it, she never cries out, or flinches so I am taking for granted I am doing this correctly. She looks like a little hunch back when the fluid first go in. My problem is even with her being a good patient, she gives me the victim look as I put her into position, or she whimpers a bit if I have to go get her. She now tried to hide if she sees me during the day if she is out of her bed, makes me feel so horrible, I have tried giving her the fluids at different times and even in a different spot. I don't think this is hurting her at all but I feel so horrible, has anyone else experienced anything like this, and does anyone know if it gets any better. She looks good and is moving about jumping in and out of the window seat to look out, eating using her litter pan, I want her senior years to be comfortable and as healthy as possible. Thank you in advance for sharing any of your thoughts. Oh one final thing after the fluids toward the evening she is completely back to normal coming around me and loving me.
IMG_20200503_185921138_MP.jpg

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Warming the fluids a bowl of warm water may help. Just so it’s comfortable to you. keep in mind that your home if typically 20-30 degrees lower than their body temp. if you have a non contact thermometer, that maybe helpful for you to gauge the temp. Never microwave the the bag as the IV line will explode and it can also cause the bag to be too hot. A cat’s temp is bet.100 & 102.5 or so. How much do you give at a time? Maybe talk to your vet about increasing the amount given but give it every other day so she gets a break.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Warming the fluids a bowl of warm water may help. Just so it’s comfortable to you. keep in mind that your home if typically 20-30 degrees lower than their body temp. if you have a non contact thermometer, that maybe helpful for you to gauge the temp. Never microwave the the bag as the IV line will explode and it can also cause the bag to be too hot. A cat’s temp is bet.100 & 102.5 or so. How much do you give at a time? Maybe talk to your vet about increasing the amount given but give it every other day so she gets a break.
Thank you I heard you could warm up the fluid, I will give that a try, I am giving I think it's 100ml so the bag has numbers 1 through 9 or 10, the I give one portion a day so the bag lasts me 10 days. I have heard good and bad about giving extra so I will talk to my vet to see what he thinks. Thank you so much for your response.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I give my GSD lactated ringer solution twice a week for kidney issues. Ask the vet if there is any other schedule you can follow. He takes 2 units at a time but he weighs 100 lbs.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My last kidney cat also only received fluids twice a week, sometimes three times if she acted like she didn't feel well. She was pretty small, about 5 pounds, but never received even 100 mls. And of course, she didn't enjoy it, and would hide for a little while, but like yours, would come back around after awhile. Warming the fluids definitely helps, and you could even give her some treats afterwards for being so good about getting them. That typically wins favor from cats.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My last kidney cat also only received fluids twice a week, sometimes three times if she acted like she didn't feel well. She was pretty small, about 5 pounds, but never received even 100 mls. And of course, she didn't enjoy it, and would hide for a little while, but like yours, would come back around after awhile. Warming the fluids definitely helps, and you could even give her some treats afterwards for being so good about getting them. That typically wins favor from cats.
Yes!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our beloved angel Moti received sub-Q when she went into chronic renal failure. It bought us 7 basically good months we would not otherwise have had. She was a trooper about it and I think I was more uncomfortable with having to do it than she was having to receive it. The idea of a small treat reward and possible warming of the fluid sounds good. All the very best to beautiful Patina, and to you.

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you've always thought about this.. but is there any way to make it a special/enjoyable experience? Can you give her her favorite treats before/after?

My Bear didn't seem to like the needle going in so we got thinner ones, which helped (though it meant it took a bit longer for the fluids to go in).

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our beloved angel Moti received sub-Q when she went into chronic renal failure. It bought us 7 basically good months we would not otherwise have had. She was a trooper about it and I think I was more uncomfortable with having to do it than she was having to receive it. The idea of a small treat reward and possible warming of the fluid sounds good. All the very best to beautiful Patina, and to you.
😻