Fluid in the lungs? I'm a little confused.

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had been dry heaving (or so I thought) for a few weeks. Since she throws up or dry heaves pretty frequently, I didn't really think much of it.............I was going to make an appt on Thursday for whatever day they had available, but then Thursday I woke up to her wheezing, so I called and got her in right away............I kept thinking she's got some kind of hairballs stuck and she's trying to get them out.

Turns out she was trying to fluid out of the lungs. I was pretty blindsided by this and wasn't totally comprehending what the vet was trying to tell me. He basically was saying it could be that the mammary cancer they thought they caught in time a year ago had mestasicized (esp. because he could see what appeared to possibly to a lump in there) - or other unpronoucable to me options. And, they were all really bad.

I opted to pay for sending the X ray to the radiologist for further analysis, and came home with a bottle of Lasix and told they'll call when they hear back.................I was also told to bring her back in if she really has trouble breathing or to the ER - if it's off hours for them.

I'm a little overwhelmed but now in doing my reading, I'm wondering why he wouldn't have drained the lungs? I don't remember this being discussed. I'm thinking maybe because he seems to really think the outcome in grim - and maybe this prolongs suffering? He did say he really doesn't believe in chemotherapy if it turns out to be the cancer - because the cat goes through hell and at the most gets 6 more months of life. He said it's not like humans who have a chance at remission.

Anyone have any ideas? Of course, now they're closed till Monday and this is the first day my cat is not eating much (she was 100% normal until Thursday morning)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly I am so very sorry you are kitty are dealing with this. It's positively terrifying to see them struggle for breath. I did the same as you, pretty much was in shock and had to struggle to recall what was said.

Lasix, from what I recall is a diuretic. I will double-check tonight when I'm home but I believe this was prescribed by my ER for White Label when she had fluid in her lungs. He didn't drain her's either and I was surprised. She was accidentally poisoned by a neighbor trying to discourage a skunk.

Is your kitty in or inside and outside?

How old is she?

Is there ANY chance they got into something?

Unfortunately, right now it's keeping her comfy while you wait for the results and hopefully not an emergency trip to the ER vet.

What's her name?

XOXOXOXOXOOX Sending love your way.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry your girl is sick :(

I've had several animals with fluid in the lungs, and Lasix (a diuretic) is the standard treatment. The vet may start you off with an injection of the drug, so that it can start to act right away, and then send you home with the pills or liquid form to continue treatment at home.

Its normal for cats with this issue to be off their food - at its worst, they simply don't have the spare breath to be able to eat. Hand feeding or raising the bowl so kitty doesn't have to put her head down to eat can help.

As I understand it, fluid in the lungs (or pulmonary oedema, as its medically known) is where the lung tissue itself is holding on to excess fluid. Because its fluid in the actual tissue, not inside the cavity (for want of a better word) of the lungs, it can't be drained in the same way that, for example, an abscess or blister can be.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you, and that your girl feels better soon. Keeping everything crossed that things aren't as dire as you think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the kind words! Her name is Maggie - she's super sweet and tiny (6 pounds). She's an indoor only cat (except for the minute or so that she's sneaks outside every few months when I go to get another bag of groceries, etc.) Not long enough to get into anything - and it's been awhile since she did that. I caught onto her tricks.

When I got her from my friend who was doing work on an abandoned drug house, she was emaciated. I thought she was a kitten - but the vets said she was about 2-3 years old - so now she's 7-8 years old.

Lasix is definitely a diuretic.............I wonder why he didn't drain her lungs, though - or tell me to have them drained if she got worse. (which she seems to be)

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your girl is sick :(

I've had several animals with fluid in the lungs, and Lasix (a diuretic) is the standard treatment. The vet may start you off with an injection of the drug, so that it can start to act right away, and then send you home with the pills or liquid form to continue treatment at home.

Its normal for cats with this issue to be off their food - at its worst, they simply don't have the spare breath to be able to eat. Hand feeding or raising the bowl so kitty doesn't have to put her head down to eat can help.

As I understand it, fluid in the lungs (or pulmonary oedema, as its medically known) is where the lung tissue itself is holding on to excess fluid. Because its fluid in the actual tissue, not inside the cavity (for want of a better word) of the lungs, it can't be drained in the same way that, for example, an abscess or blister can be.

I hope that makes things a bit clearer for you, and that your girl feels better soon.
Thanks so much for giving me a way better understanding. It must be pulmonary oedema that he said as the 2nd option of what it could be in addition to the return of cancer. Now I see why he wouldn't have done the draining.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had been dry heaving (or so I thought) for a few weeks. Since she throws up or dry heaves pretty frequently, I didn't really think much of it.............I was going to make an appt on Thursday for whatever day they had available, but then Thursday I woke up to her wheezing, so I called and got her in right away............I kept thinking she's got some kind of hairballs stuck and she's trying to get them out.

Turns out she was trying to fluid out of the lungs. I was pretty blindsided by this and wasn't totally comprehending what the vet was trying to tell me. He basically was saying it could be that the mammary cancer they thought they caught in time a year ago had mestasicized (esp. because he could see what appeared to possibly to a lump in there) - or other unpronoucable to me options. And, they were all really bad.

I opted to pay for sending the X ray to the radiologist for further analysis, and came home with a bottle of Lasix and told they'll call when they hear back.................I was also told to bring her back in if she really has trouble breathing or to the ER - if it's off hours for them.

I'm a little overwhelmed but now in doing my reading, I'm wondering why he wouldn't have drained the lungs? I don't remember this being discussed. I'm thinking maybe because he seems to really think the outcome in grim - and maybe this prolongs suffering? He did say he really doesn't believe in chemotherapy if it turns out to be the cancer - because the cat goes through hell and at the most gets 6 more months of life. He said it's not like humans who have a chance at remission.

Anyone have any ideas? Of course, now they're closed till Monday and this is the first day my cat is not eating much (she was 100% normal until Thursday morning)
Hello P phoebephan and Maggie!
Since Maggie's doctor is dealing with this medical issue, my suggestion is that others not weigh in on what it could be, but that you wait for the test results and discuss options with him.
There are additional causes of fluid in the lungs besides cancer. The tests will hopefully give more information. Until then, any ideas would only be unprofessional guesses. I know waiting is very, very difficult, but I would strongly suggest waiting.
The Gerber second stages (small round jars) baby foods can be helpful for cats who are not eating much. I would avoid the ham or any other pork products. The chicken, lamb, turkey, and beef are good. Also, you could puree her wet food with some water in a blender or food processor, and syringe-feed her (syringes are available at "pet" supply stores, online or physical). There are also veterinary products such as KMR (kitten milk replacer), Nutri-Cal, and Clinicare, some of which you might find at the supply places, for inappetant cats.

*PRAYERS* for Maggie, and for you. If you are spiritual at all, I would also suggest Prayer for her.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because its fluid in the actual tissue, not inside the cavity (for want of a better word) of the lungs, it can't be drained in the same way that, for example, an abscess or blister can be.
That is so good to know. I always wondered why treatment was how it was for WL too. So thank you!

Thanks so much for the kind words! Her name is Maggie - she's super sweet and tiny (6 pounds). She's an indoor only cat (except for the minute or so that she's sneaks outside every few months when I go to get another bag of groceries, etc.) Not long enough to get into anything - and it's been awhile since she did that. I caught onto her tricks.

When I got her from my friend who was doing work on an abandoned drug house, she was emaciated. I thought she was a kitten - but the vets said she was about 2-3 years old - so now she's 7-8 years old.
Maggie :-) Lovely name.

LOL I know what you mean by the sneak out tricks. Cats are so crafty!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 great suggestions for getting for eating and getting some moisture in her.

Sending healing vibes your way XOXOX :heartshape::heartshape::vibes:

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I got the bad news on little Maggie.......She's got cancer in her lungs that is causing the fluid.

So, now my question is when to put her down. The lasix seemed to really help for a few days. No wheezing or hacking to try to get the fluid out.............I got an appetite stimulant yesterday and she's eating still. Not as much as usual and not right when I put the food down, but she comes back to it and eats it.

But, today she's back to some wheezing and hacking. When she's not doing that, she seems relaxed and not in pain, and can still jump, walk normal and be her loving self.

The last cat I had, we didn't know what the problem was - she just stopped eating, and got weaker and could barely walk (they figured it was cancer in her stomach)..............The decision was obvious. This time, I don't know if I should make that call earlier - IF she is suffering from not getting enough air. I don't know if she is?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many, if not most, cats visit their food many times in a day, as this is their usual behavior with their prey in the wild, given optimum conditions. If they feel safe, they will return to their prey and eat small amounts. That's very catlike.
Her behavior as you write of it seems as if she is enjoying a good quality of life.
In my lifelong experience with cats, an ill cat will make it known when they no longer have quality of life and may want you to assist them. If you are spiritual at all, I would stay in touch with that, and be aware of Maggie's daily activities as you are. Share good times with her. Cats are extremely intuitive --- some experts and others, myself included, believe they are more intuitive and sensitive than humans -- and they pick up on what those around them are feeling, so try not to stress/think negative thoughts/exhibit sadness around her if possible. It sounds very much like she still wants to be with you. Cherish every day, and her.:lovecat3:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no :frown: I'm so, so sorry :hugs:

When to make 'that' decision is always such a tough call. It comes down to quality of life, how effective meds are at controlling Maggie's symptoms, and how stressful she finds it having her meds (ie is she easy to pill or is it a fight, and does she get any side effects). With cancer, how far the cancer has advanced might be a consideration too.

If she's still engaged, interested and eating reasonably (even with encouragment or extra yummy food), then she's ok to keep going a bit. Once that changes is the time to reassess.
When Is It Time? - Making The Difficult Decision
Living With Feline Cancer
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain

From what you said, it sounds like, with the lasix, she's still got a decent quality of life. Definitely talk to your vet about where to go from here, and what their instincts are. They've actually seen Maggie and her test results, and are in the best position to advise you.

Personally, I'd be inclined to try keeping her on the lasix for a while and see how she does. I would be helping her with eating a bit too, by raising the bowl a little so she doesn't have to put her head right down to eat. That can really help with food intake, and is something I did for my guys when they had fluid on their lungs.

Now is the time to make the best of every day you have with Maggie, and to spoil her rotten! Make as many new, happy memories as you can with her. Focus on the present, not on what lies ahead, and take one day at a time.

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only spoke with the vet on the phone yesterday, but it seemed to me he was thinking put her down ASAP. I said the lasix really helped the last few days (when she wasn't wheezing - but now she is). He said Yeah, but that's not going to last................I said I know. I also brought up draining the lungs, and he said not only is it traumatic for her, but also the fluid comes back quickly.

I'd have to say the quality of life isn't very good at all - if comparing to her a week ago...........But, when she's not wheezing, she at least seems comfortable. And, she'll still jump on me, make herself at home in my lap, and purr.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only spoke with the vet on the phone yesterday, but it seemed to me he was thinking put her down ASAP. I said the lasix really helped the last few days (when she wasn't wheezing - but now she is). He said Yeah, but that's not going to last................I said I know. I also brought up draining the lungs, and he said not only is it traumatic for her, but also the fluid comes back quickly.

I'd have to say the quality of life isn't very good at all - if comparing to her a week ago...........But, when she's not wheezing, she at least seems comfortable. And, she'll still jump on me, make herself at home in my lap, and purr.
Well, WTH, P phoebephan , NOTHING lasts and NO ONE lives forever. I don't like that kind of thinking, personally. I'm much more a "where there's life, there's hope" type of person. She is not showing signs of being uncomfortable or in pain, and she is still eating, even if not a normal ration. She seeks you out, she jumps up on your lap. This is not a cat who is ready to go on ahead.

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NOTHING lasts and NO ONE lives forever.
Yeah, I really like him. He was very caring last year when she had a mastectomy (thought she beat the cancer but it seems like it did make it into her lungs a year later)............But, his logic on it not lasting makes no sense to me. Of course, it's not going to last. But, it could buy time!

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess my main question at this point is now she seems to have some wheezing going on whenever I'm near her. I have to put my ear near her to hear it....................So, I don't know if it's suffering to breathe that way?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With cats sometimes it’s helpful to look closely at their body posture and facial expressions to try to gauge if they’re in pain, since sometimes they act normal overall but are subtly showing signs of discomfort/pain.

When my little guy was sick, the pain signs I would look for were:
- Sitting in a tight loaf position with front legs tucked under the body, but the paws still on the ground (it’s almost a crouch)
- Tail tucked tightly up to the body or under the body
- Head held lower than usual or pointing downward when sitting
- Eyes squinting, drooping, or less than fully open when fully alert/awake
- Whiskers sticking out horizontally (droopy whiskers are happy whiskers!)
- Ears folding forward and swiveled slightly outward
- A more oval shaped muzzle at the base of the whiskers (this one can be hard to tell but basically if the muzzle is relaxed, it’s more round and fluffy. When it’s very tense, it tends to be flatter and longer)

It’s really hard to know these things and none of us can know for sure when it’s time, but you seem like a great owner who’s doing the best you can for her!

phoebephan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I probably am going to have to let her go tommorrow. She definitely has a few of those. The head hanging lower is heartbreaking.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess my main question at this point is now she seems to have some wheezing going on whenever I'm near her. I have to put my ear near her to hear it....................So, I don't know if it's suffering to breathe that way?
Not with the profile you've already posted, IMHO. You say "whenever I'm near her" which also brings to mind a question -- do you wear perfume or other scented preparations? She may be experiencing some irritation from those. Cats' sense of smell is many times more sensitive than humans' and a lot of scented oils and sprays are really not good for them. This may have nothing to do with her particular case. I wear perfume and sometimes use a room spray, and it does not harm anyone. So it's individual. I really do not think she wants to leave yet.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I probably am going to have to let her go tommorrow. She definitely has a few of those. The head hanging lower is heartbreaking.
Boy, did my heart sink when I read this. Whatever you decide, TCS is a tight knit place and we're here for you.
I agree on checking with perfumes, or even things like candles, scented laundry sheets, potpourri, or anything aerosol. Our cat has a lung condition and all these things bother him.
It's not a fix, but if her litter is scented, get un-scented. Some cats are fine with corn litter, corn litter sent our cat to the vet 3 times before we realized that could be contributing (we had just changed). I understand Maggie has cancer, but sometimes I think cancer symptoms can be made worse by environmental factors that we weren't even aware of.
We will keep you on our minds tonight, and I hope things maybe will improve tomorrow.