Fluffy kitten now looks short haired

Cbb1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening,
I just got a ragdoll kitten (or so I was told), and I am a bit confused he was long haired in the pictures of him at a few weeks old but as he ages his hair appears to be short hair. He is by far the sweetest cat I have ever owned, loves to just flop on his side and give unlimited head bumps. He’s also so gentle when he plays, almost like he doesn’t even know he has claws lol! He’s about 4 months old now, he has the tuffs in between his toes and a little on his ears. His fur is also the softest coat I have ever felt.

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have any other photos? Specifically a full body of him now and if you have any other kitten photos.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree. I wanted to see other photos to be sure but I'd go with he isn't a ragdoll, rather a domestic longhair seal point with white. Honestly you still get a beautiful and lovey cat either way. But the coat looks like he is one of those dramatic winter coat cats, not a ragdoll trait but not uncommon.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes he is a longhair but I doubt he's a purebred ragdoll. Probably just a domestic longhair. All kittens go through short hair phase and then they really poof out at 2-4 years old.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg he is a stunner 😻 and that first pic with his eyes is fab. If he did not come from a breeder etc. as others have said he is a dlh. Some longhair cats like my Syb who was part nfc (a forest cat ) shed a lot in the summer and get their true long hair in the winter. She also had very long dramatic guard hairs which are designed for inclement winter weather like running around in the snow which she loved to do. Also some long hair kittens don’t get their full fluff until later on but their tails are longer haired usually. RD are super fluffy cats. But I have seen pics of some who appeared less fluffy, maybe they had a haircut. He seems to have alot of rd traits personality wise as well so it doesn’t matter if he is not pb 😹 He looks like a seal bicolor to me.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbb1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers, I do not mind if he is not purebred as I have no intentions on breeding him. He is really an amazing little guy, I’ve never had a kitten quite like him. He’s gonna be a big guy I’m assuming he’s over 5# right now and he is going to be 4 months old next week. I love the flopping he does, reminds me of a dog almost lol!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers, I do not mind if he is not purebred as I have no intentions on breeding him. He is really an amazing little guy, I’ve never had a kitten quite like him. He’s gonna be a big guy I’m assuming he’s over 5# right now and he is going to be 4 months old next week. I love the flopping he does, reminds me of a dog almost lol!
Please get him neutered when he is ready. Quinn’s breeder said 5 lbs or 6 months but my dvm will only do it at 6 months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cbb1109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We plan on doing that in the next couple weeks if possible, he’s still a little nervous so want him feeling more confident at our house before doing that. I’ve had an unaltered male cat that got into the habit of spraying and don’t want to deal with that one again lol.