Florfenicol Experience?

Olórin_Greyhame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My cat has been suffing from multiple bacterial skin infections, and after trying a few other antibiotics that didn't work, she was eventually prescribed Florfenicol (2 times a day for 5 days). I've been trying to Google this antibiotic, but I haven't had much luck finding info on it. Does anyone have any experience using it? Does it act quickly and/or stay in their system for a while after the course of treatment? She is on her last day of meds and seems to be doing better, but not all of her sores/scabs are completely gone yet. Is that normal? Sorry for all the questions! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi

not all of her sores/scabs are completely gone yet
I can't answer regarding the medicine, but I was thinking she may benefit from chamomile tea. Store bought (not garden grown), brewed, cooled and applied. It's anti bacterial, anti fungal, will ease discomfort and is safe if she ingests it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I did a search on this site to see if anyone else might have used this antibiotic and found nothing. I did find a rather detailed article on the class of drugs with which florfenicol is included and provided a link below to the article - but it is probably more information than you really want. From what I did read, it does seem to act fairly quickly.

However, I don't think the sores are necessarily going to be 'gone' in the timeline of administration of the meds, so as long as they look better and no new spots are appearing, it would seem the antibiotic is doing what it is supposed to do.

Use the chamomile tea as Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested to help speed up the healing process a bit.
Phenicols Use in Animals - Pharmacology - MSD Veterinary Manual (msdvetmanual.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Olórin_Greyhame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Thank you both for your advice! I'm going to look into using chamomile tea. I also recently called her vet and told him about how she was doing. She was looking a lot better while on the Florfenicol, but 2 days after finishing it, she started getting a couple more bumps. He ended up prescribing another 5 days of Florfenicol. I'm so nervous not knowing much about the antibiotic - I just hope it's not too much for her system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Olórin_Greyhame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any indication of what's causing the issue?
Sorry for the delayed reply! We are not totally sure (we will be taking her to a dermatologist for more answers, hopefully). We thiiink it started off from a food allergy (she was eating dry food heavy in chicken and egg) and wet food (mostly fish). It then turned into an ear infection, which turned into a skin infection (staph). We've tried 3 other antibiotics for her, and all failed to get rid of her infection. 😢