Florence

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 and Hekitty have arrived safely.
I would gladly foster but may be at a bit of risk here. I have been pulling in cats today myself but could find a spot if necessary. May have one or two small cages available. It would have to be temporary but I will do what I can. If any kitty comes here they will be in the company and close quarters of many others. Not the best thing to have so many here but better than euthanasia. The Savannah, Georgia shelter is fostering out their animals. No euthanasia. Volunteers from the general public have been overwhelmingly supportive. To everyone out there who can or who knows someone who can, please foster during this time! Even those of us with few resources can save a life.
Thank you to our TCS community for being so supportive of any of us in the path of the storm.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We are with wonderful, caring people, and made to feel at home. Latest data shows Flo missing us, and Havelock is right at the EDGE of the flood warning area, so I may actually have a home to go back to! On the way up here, passed MANY MANY emergency vehicles and power trucks heading east to stage as close to the danger areas as possible, so help will be coming quickly to those who need it most.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They downgraded her to a Cat 3. . .for now. She's big! And slow. It's the slow ones that do the most damage, because they just sit there in one spot instead of blowing over quickly. It looks like the very outermost winds are probably just starting to hit the coast. They have the potentially affected area marked as far inland as Kentucky. Yikes!
I just saw the latest storm news on MSNBC. It's now at a Category 2, and is expected to be down to Category 1 by the time it passes (stalls?) over Wilmington, NC at around 8 a.m. Friday. Still enough to do plenty of damage, and it's going to be very wet, but much, much better than a Category 4. They showed a picture of it from the ISS; looked like it was covering the entire hemisphere! However, they said the picture had to be taken with a wide angle lens, so that was probably an illusion. However, my feeling is that the energy has been leeched from the storm by the storm itself expanding, spreading the energy over a greater area. (And that's not some kind of "expert" opinion, just my personal feeling.)

I think that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and Hekitty will, indeed, have a home to return to. More than that, I think that Little Bit and Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's other ferals will "weather" this storm just fine.

"公开小组" is, "public panel" e.g. "FaceBook."
Thank you. I was wondering.

Margret

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret
I checked the FB links after they posted with unusual characters. I did not wish to post a dangerous link if someone needed help or information.

I hope that the predicted shift south does not put even more TCS members in harm's way. Georgia had cancelled evac orders for some coastal communities before the forecast showed Florence moving farther south.

I believe Jcatbird Jcatbird is riding out the storm with her ferals and was still attempting to trap one family last night.

I'm spooked by this storm, even though the impact here in Delaware is expected to be minimal.

Much of the mid-Atlantic region and eastern US has already had record rainfall and extensive flooding this year. The ground is thoroughly saturated.

Larger storms may not be as powerful as hurricanes, but superstorm Sandy wreaked havoc on the Atlantic coast from Atlantic City, New Jersey north through New York City and parts of New England in 2012. That storm was almost 1000 miles in diameter. Many of the residents inundated by the storm surge have yet to rebuild.

I hope all TCS members will be safe through the storm and the aftermath. I'm sending hopes and good vibes to all.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are with wonderful, caring people, and made to feel at home. Latest data shows Flo missing us, and Havelock is right at the EDGE of the flood warning area, so I may actually have a home to go back to! On the way up here, passed MANY MANY emergency vehicles and power trucks heading east to stage as close to the danger areas as possible, so help will be coming quickly to those who need it most.
I am so happy you and Hekitty are safe and welcomed. Prayers that your home will still be there when you go back. Hurricane behavior is difficult to predict and there's no telling what may happen.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe Jcatbird Jcatbird is riding out the storm with her ferals and was still attempting to trap one family last night.
foxden foxden - She is; she's trapped all but a lone male at this point, and is concentrating her efforts in his direction today. Her home is built on a rise, just over twenty miles inland, and while it doesn't have a second floor, it does have an attic in the case of dire emergency. Her local television news station released a statement a few minutes ago, declaring her area to be, "out of the storm's cone," although just to the north, there are storm surge warnings for the coastline. At this point, she and her ferals - now 95% indoors - seem out of any present danger.

Jcatbird Jcatbird deserves a kudos for all the little Lives she's saved - especially over the past six weeks!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kudos to all of you working to save the animals. You aren't alone. HLN just covered two stories, one about a shelter that was about to euthanize its cats, but it received a large donation and was able to drive almost two dozen to a shelter in Pennsylvania. Another woman with seven dogs and a broken down truck received a new truck from a donor and was able to escape with her dogs. In this storm, people are being generous BEFORE it hits. We've learned a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The above stories just prove what my dad always said - there are good people everywhere. I saw that a rescue in Myrtle Beach could not evacuate. I am praying for the heroes who stayed with the cats. I hope we hear about them when they can breathe again.

Prayers and hugs to everyone in the path. And hoping the evacuees have something to go back to. This is going to be a long recovery. And there
is another one bearing down on Hawaii, and I think another one heading for Europe.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers to everyone in Florence’s path.
Winds downgraded from Category 4 to a Category 2....I would say that our prayers are being heard "from our hearts to God's ears". Continuing my prayers for safety of those unable to evacuate & for the homeless animals; may the waters rise less than expected :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breaking news - there have been a series of gas line explosions in Massachusetts, from an over-pressurized main. 70 fires and explosions erupt in Massachusetts

People have lost their homes, there are injuries, at least one town has been entirely evacuated. Hard to fight a fire in hurricane force winds...

artiemom artiemom is okay; I don't know who else here lives in Massachusetts but it'd be nice if you could check in when you have time and computer/internet access.

Margret

MOD NOTE: Other posts about the gas explosion have been moved to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My prayers go out to all on Massachusetts. To all those in Florence as well. 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine is correct about most of the kitties having been brought in here. Rising water and wind may cause some issues here but we are prepared. Thank you to all for kind wishes and prayers. If I can catch the last male I will feel much easier. The land here floods in heavy rain. I have prepared many places for him to take refuge if I cannot catch him. I will keep trying. Signal strength here comes and goes but I will check back on other news as I can. Stay safe all.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also Super Typhoon Mangkhut that's about to hit the Phillippines at Cat 5!

And there are a few more storms in the Atlantic waiting in the background for their chance---Isaac will probably hit Puerto Rico and the West Indies as a Tropical Storm, Helene is still spinning at sea, and Olivia is close to Hawaii. It's a bad hurricane season already. . .