Floppy belly pouch, is this normal?

deswy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Jake, is 15 months old and was neutered just before he was 6 months old.  He is a little over 10 pounds in weight and long.....a siamese mix.  He has that "panther pouch".....he's not fat, but healthy....I was wondering myself what exercises I could make him do to get rid of it.....but I hear it's normal.  He's an indoor cat.  In Texas and California it's not always safe to let a cat roam around outdoors.....coyotes, wildcats....he'd be a meal.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that Oliver is bigger, his pouch is huge! When he walks by me on the couch or my bed, I pull it to the side and make it swing. 

BF and I also poke and rub it probably far too much, but he does not seem annoyed by it, luckily. It's just too cute to resist!

smarie923

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mound, almost like a half empty water balloon. It definetly isn't a lump and it's not painful but i've never had a cat before who's had this sort of body! I have seen old cats who sort of have a pouch hanging down but with Marcel you can't see anything you can just feel when he's standing.

Did anybody else have a cat with a little beer belly like this?

[/quote]

smarie923

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3 out my 4 cats have "fat sacks" as I call them...lol. my 13yrs old female Manx is tiny and slim. But my 4yr old male and my 13yr old female have fat sacks....and my one year old male has a big fat fully tummy. And he's been in adult food with the others since about 8 months old and I feed them small amounts 3x a day to equal the recommended daily amount...because with constant full dishes of food 2 of would just eat all day long, everytime they pass by the bowl. So maybe I should do what a few people have said on here, to reduce their daily food intake by 10%. Hopefully that will work out. And also they get fresh water 3 or 4 times a day and they all love their water, especially my little skinny one...we call her "the babysitter" because she hangs out by the water bowls so much and will definitely remind you to give them new water. Also call her "stalker" she is obsessed with water ans has been since she was a baby. And give them one wet food say twice a week... 3 of them just split one 3oz can...my one 3yr old cat doesn't like any kind of wet food at all...he's weird so he'll get dry treats which he likes. And also each get a few treats when I get home from work everyday....the ones that are good for their teeth

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My cat, Jake, is 15 months old and was neutered just before he was 6 months old.  He is a little over 10 pounds in weight and long.....a siamese mix.  He has that "panther pouch".....he's not fat, but healthy....I was wondering myself what exercises I could make him do to get rid of it.....but I hear it's normal.  He's an indoor cat.  In Texas and California it's not always safe to let a cat roam around outdoors.....coyotes, wildcats....he'd be a meal.
I don't think you can get rid of it, but encouraging exercise is always a good thing in a healthy cat.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that as a cat gets older they get these, even the males. I've had people think my male is a nursing mom! SHHHH, don't tell him that!

darlene cooley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat has the same thing. I was so afraid that something was wrong because it does not look normal.  I feel better now that l know it is normal.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Oliver trots, it sways from side to side. It never gets old to watch. And when he sits, it spreads across his back paws. I can't even. Ender has the tiniest little pouch. I was hoping it would get bigger, but I think he's done growing. 

crocky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy cat, around the same age, has the exact same thing...and I thought the exact same thing you did?!?...I've found out its completely normal, and when they sit with their legs open...I can't even resit how adorable it is. I just call it his little belly. sooooo soft. but yes, normal.