Fleas!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m still having issues with dealing with fleas….I’m using Advantage II for all my indoor cats….I’ve been spraying the house room by room and then vacuumin.
ive also been using a flea comb, some cats won’t let me touch them with it but on the ones that let me I’m finding 3-4 live fleas…I called my vet today and they suffered i use the RX flea treatment t they offer but can only prescribe it for the cats they need to see first, well, I have 12 cats and can’t afford a bill for 12 cats so I plan on continuing with Advantage. They also said to use cold water for articles being washed instead of hot….when I’ve washed towels, sheets etc etc I’ve been using hot water….anyone have any advise on what water temp to use?
thanks in advance……

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never used hot water to wash sheets and towels, or actually anything in. I had 8 cats when we had the major flea fights and no topicals at that time. I know it's hard, just keep doing what you're doing, but don't push beyond your limits. Patience is the key and persistence. Things should get better when your heat is on, yes, I know that looks forever in the future, but once the cats start taking turns on the heat vents they'll be desiccating those fleas six ways to Sunday.

I'm going to say this, cause I don't think you're saying it to yourself. You are doing an A-1 excellent job! You've gone from a flea infestation to 3-4 fleas per cat (you took a reasonable sample) THAT IS AMAZING AND REALLY GOOD WORK!!! seriously.

And after years of cats, many cats, the only cat I could comb was no one. I could brush my sister's cat, but none of mine. I don't count brushing the hand raised cat, who the minute he got big enough put a stop to that.

Tell yourself at least once a day that you are doing a really good job. Don't worry about the stuff from the vet* you are going to do this with what you have, which is all you need.

(Pardon my math but I'm thinking 12 cats times $50 an exam is $600. You just saved yourself and the cats $600. That's something to remember, too.)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question for advice….this morning before I had called the vet I had stripped the bed and put everything in the dryer on high heat, ( I had just washed everything a few days ago) now the vet had told me to wash things in cold water….should I rewash everything now from the dryer in cold water and then dry? Or do you think it would be okay to put everything back on the bed from the dryer??

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question for advice….this morning before I had called the vet I had stripped the bed and put everything in the dryer on high heat, ( I had just washed everything a few days ago) now the vet had told me to wash things in cold water….should I rewash everything now from the dryer in cold water and then dry? Or do you think it would be okay to put everything back on the bed from the dryer??
No idea why the vet recommended cold water. Hot water and heat from the dryer will both kill fleas. You can remake your bed from the dryer. No need to rewash in cold. I'm not even sure what that would get you.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great, thanks….we are in another heat wave here and I just can’t deal with anymore today…I vacuumed and sprayed the rooms upstairs today except for one small room which I’ll do tomorrom. Then start doing some rooms downstairs….wow, didn’t realize how much stuff people accumulate over the years. lol
i feel so bad for my cats….I combed a couple of my bigger, furry cats today and gave another flea treatment of Advantage, they seemed the worst. Tomorrow is another day….🙀

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's usually a combination of things. I had used Frontline and I had a major flea outbreak in my home of 7 pets. I washed, vacuumed, stored clean stuff away, steam cleaned, put out flea traps, used Capstar still had them until I was able to put Advantage on them and poof they were gone. (Not sure why it didn't work for you). I think there are oral options, but I'm always leary of those. If Revolution works I would use it for a couple of months to kill off the population.
I’ve been in the same situation with fleas.I have 12 indoor cats and they have fleas! I’ve vacuumed rooms, then sprayed, waited and then re-vacuumed. Have used Advantage 2-3 times. I read if there’s a infestation of fleas you can use Advantage once a week for four weeks only, then go back to monthly. But I’ve waited at least 2 weeks between doses. I’ve washed sheets, towels and their beds and have packed clean things away in storage bins til the fleas are gone.
after washing some of their beds I’ve got rid of them…trying to eliminate as much
cozy places for fleas to hide in. I only have 3 rooms that have rugs…unfortunely where I live we’ve been in a heat wave and I’m finding it hard to be able to vacuum etc….this w/e is suppose to be a lot cooler which will give me a chance to spray/vacuum the downstairs. I was able to treat upstairs…
ive had fleas in the past and was able to get rid of them within a few weeks but this time it’s been nerve wreaking…maybe because i have so many cats. None of them go outside and I won’t use collars…

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've found in the summer when there is no a/c, it's a good idea to wet your hair down with cool water, soak it through, quick towel off to stop the drip, then vacuum.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention, I was reading someone had said to kill fleas on rugs to sprinkle salt on them and wait a day or two, then vacuum.
Also another suggestion was to sprinkle Borax laundry detergent on rugs and floors and leave on for a couple of days, then vacuum. Has anyone tried this or heard about it? Although it would really messy to sprinkle borax on floors especially with 12 cats walking around. 😲

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention, I was reading someone had said to kill fleas on rugs to sprinkle salt on them and wait a day or two, then vacuum.
Also another suggestion was to sprinkle Borax laundry detergent on rugs and floors and leave on for a couple of days, then vacuum. Has anyone tried this or heard about it? Although it would really messy to sprinkle borax on floors especially with 12 cats walking around. 😲
FleaBusters, which I have recommended earlier in this thread is an ionically charged boric acid (similar to Borax powder.) Sprinkle it onto the carpet, brush it in with a broom, and vacuum up any excess that didn't brush in. Then give it a day and vacuum again. It is messy but not like you think. It's just a fine powder so it aerosolizes easily. Stretch a pantyhose over the opening so you don't get large clumps coming out. Wear a mask. And maybe only do a room every other day to cut down the smell. It's not toxic. But you can smell it for the first few vacuums. I have used FleaBusters for two years now and it has worked both times. But I only have one cat. Well, none this year. I guess that proves that I'm the one bringing the fleas home. 🤦‍♂️

Also, don't forget to treat your cars/trucks like another room in your home or you'll just be bringing fleas into your car/truck and back home again.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've heard of this but the problem is too much will be toxic to the cats.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Help needed….here I am again still dealing with fleas.I’m at a breaking point and don’t know what to do…I’ve been spending my days vacuuming the whole house every day but my poor cats still have fleas. I’ve used Advantage II at least 3 times since the last week of July…gave second dose approximately August 10 and then on August 28. I read you can give it once a week up until 4 weeks if infestation. I’ve been trying to comb some of my cats since a lot run away and won’t let me comb them (act as bad as when I’m trying to cut their nails). For the cats that let me comb them I’m getting 3-5 fleas…i don’t know if I should wait and stop the advantage and switch to Frontline plus….any suggestion, please.
fyi…I’ve tried the Boxax on wood floors in the cracks but I have no idea if it’s helping. Has anyone had any bad experiences with frontline? I’ve used the Advantage in the past and was satisfied with it but I guess because I have 12 cats now it’s getting harder. Help!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you are certain the Advantage and the Frontline are the same active ingredient (which would make switching pointless) wait the entire 4 weeks before using the new one or ask your vet. Ask your vet anyway. If your vet suggests Serento, Hartz, or bravato I'd research them and then not use them. But that's just me.

It hasn't been long enough to tell whether or not the Advantage dose on Aug 28 worked or not. I think you're doing well to only be finding 3-5 fleas. Are they dying? Did you drown them in dishwater?

When did you put the Borax down? has it been 2-3 weeks for it to take affect?

I know it's hard, but that's what it is, hard. When the house heat comes on it will be a little easier. I don't know if you have central a/c or not. If you do, one would think it would help desiccate the fleas.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The fleas I comb off are alive and kicking…I dunk the comb in a bucket with hot water. A few cats actually sleep on my bed and a few days ago I found about a dozen half dead fleas on my bed..so since then the first thing I do in the mornings is to vacuum my bed and the rest of the bedroom. Each morning I’ve found less fleas on the bed….I guess I expect after giving 3 flea treatments within a 3-4 week time frame most of them should be dead….I am kinda nervous about switching from Advantage to Frontline….I haven’t compared the Ingredients yet but I think there has to be something stronger in frontline since its suppose to kill more than fleas…I just need something for fleas/larvae
The Borax was put on about 2 days ago, I haven’t vacuumed it up yet.
When I checked with the vet last week she suggested using the RX treatment which would mean I need to bring each cat in for a checkup before she could give me the RX…I can not afford to pay over $

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your flea treatments are working. The fleas you're finding are dead. If they are from the cats sleeping on the bed, the Advantage is killing them. Most people find it they mix a little dish detergent in the water to rinse the comb the fleas can't climb out. That way they drown and you don't have to use hot water in the summer. Have a second bowl to dip the now clean comb in to get the soap water off of it. You might want to use two combs so that you can switch to the other comb while the first is drying.

Since the Advantage is obviously working, I don't understand why you'd want to change to the Frontline. You will always have more fleas coming into the house as long as you go into your yard and back inside.

You might want to spray your car rug to get the fleas off of it that have ridden in on your trouser cuffs from wherever you've gone outdoors.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One more thought….if the fleas aren’t GONE bye bye before the cold weather, won’t the heat inside make the fleas stick around?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the heat dries the fleas out an they die. They require warmth and humidity, which is why fleas are worse in the south than in the north. A cold winter means fewer fleas because more die. There are more fleas this year because last winter wasn't very cold.

I should think your a/c would help, but I never found the a/c worked as well as the heat, which makes me think the a/c really can't fight the humidity as well as the heat.

Fleas go to warm bodies because that is where the blood is. A warm house/carpet not so much. Outside year round are small warm animals for fleas to attach to.

stanleysworld

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always used catigo whatever they have available at the grocery store to spray down the couch, and any other cloth not washable. I put all the laundry, bedding anything washable in huge trash bags AND SEAL them until they can be washed in hot hot water and heat dried. vacuum as much as possible. catigo will kill them on your cat.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I would think the fleas would like the warmth inside during winter..they like warm bodies they can ness in…..this summer’s weather has been horrible…so much rain, heat and humidity
I’ve been vacuuming my bedroom twice a day…will be trying the Borax on the rug…time to spray again this w/e.
I’ve been seeing little white specs on the bedroom rug but I think it might be the litter. Cats track it a lot even with a mat in front of it. Would be nice if it was a different color….lol

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a question about the dosage of flea treatments…my daughter has a cat and gave her Advantage flea treatment (she doesn’t have fleas just wanted to protect her in case) but she gave her the wrong dose, she gave her the one for cats over 9 pounds…sheould have given for a small cat. I’m not sure how much she weighs but pretty sure under 9….before It dried when she realized what she did she tried to wipe a lot of it off. Has anyone made a mistake like this? if there’s any side effects how soon should they show up? We’ve been keeping an eye on her, so far the only thing we’ve seen is she scratches near the area….
any advice to offer, please…..