Fleas!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I am concerned Advantage is probably one of the most 'mild' flea treatments out there. If your daughter wiped off a lot of it, it is likely there will be no issues. Advantage takes nearly 24 hours to completely dry, so your daughter can still take a damp cloth and remove more of it. Adv can be used on cats weekly, initially, if there is a serious flea infestation - so, if you get most off of her now, you should be able to apply it a week from now at the correct dosage.

You could also take a quick weight check on her by weighing yourself and then picking her up and see what the difference is. It isn't going to be 100% accurate, but it should give you a ballpark idea of her weight.
Advantage II Small Cat for Animal Use - Drugs.com

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks….she seems fine….no side effects seen. I had called an ER vet office a little while ago and they basically said there’s little chance she would have gotten an over dose and any side effects would show within an hour. It’s been over 6 hours, she’s eating and purring

dddiam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An effective tool get help get rid of fleas in the house, is to have flea traps throughout the house. The kind that I found effective are a 7" circular plastic gazebo-looking construction, with a small night-light bulb in its ceiling, and a circular sticky disk on its floor. There are several brands. (Browse amazon.com). The 7" sticky discs are refillable, and generally fit across brands of flea traps.

I found that Advantage II works better for fleas, and Front-Line Plus works better for ticks. They are sold in different doses for different weight cats. When we had a heavy flea infestation, I would also occasionally use an essential oil preparation called Flea Flicker Tick Kicker (FFTK) in between.

I take fleas very seriously, because my cat is severely allergic to flea bites. She gets "flea dermatitis", and, if severe, zooms around the house as if her tail were on fire.

I also comb and brush my cat daily (four times a day in the heat of summer). Besides removing any critters, it removes loose fur-hair that would otherwise become hair balls that the cat would need to regurgitate. Be careful of wire brushes; they can hurt. However, they are a good place to store the hair from the comb and the other brushes until you are done grooming, prior to transferring them to the trash.

If you are allergic to cats, wear a mask when grooming or scooping or changing litter, and consider taking a homeopathic cat allergy remedy, such as BioAllers Animal Hair & Dander. Wash your hands frequently if you are prone to subconsciously petting your furry darling.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’m still dealing with the fleas…its horrible, I’ve been trying to vacuum a lot…ALOT…for awhile I was espec vacuuming my bedroom (where 4 cats sleep) everyday…shaking out my nite gown and blanket…but because I’m a senior it got to be too much along with vacuuming the rest of the house. So at least now I vacuum every other day…been combing several cats that allow me, been keeping up with the flea treatment. Some days I feel like I’m getting a hold of things (only find 1 or 2 or sometimes no fleas) on cats that I comb. Then other days I seem to find 3-4…
trying to keep my sanity but for anyone who’s had fleas in the house you know how horrible it is to get rid of.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
since I have so many indoor cats I’m not sure where I could put those flea traps so none can get to them…

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had used Advantage, gave it monthly until January. I’ve been combing them (flea comb) twice a day and haven’t come across any for a few weeks. I vacuum but not as often as I did in the beginning. After I comb them I put the fur in a plastic bag, tie it and throw in garbage just in case there was a flea I didn’t see. I also spray inside the vacuum bag with flea spray. When the bag is full I tie it in a plastic grocery bag and put it outside til garbage day.
it was horrible especially because I have a lot of indoor cats. I’m hoping my husband and I won’t bring in any more this summer. We work in our yard a lot.
🙏🏻

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That’s how they got inside our house last summer. This year we’ll have to remember to spray ourselves before we work in yard…I have to be careful about ticks too, they seem to like me. :lol: Always finding them on me…a couple of years ago I got Lyme disease…