Fleas!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!
Today I was petting Willow and I saw a flea on her. This might be a stupid question, but does anybody know of any good, natural ways to eliminate fleas quickly? I've been letting her on my bed and cuddling with her. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fleas you see on Willow are only a very small percentage of the infestation. You'll need to take an integrated approach to flea eradication that addresses all life stages of the fleas and the environment, not just the cat. Natural ways usually only focus on the adult fleas with eggs and larvae surviving to become tomorrow's much bigger problem.

Brush up on the science here. Really read this through so you don't waste your time on incomplete products and approaches.
FleaScience

Now if insecticides and insect growth regulators are not your thing (and most of them are safe even if they aren't "natural"), don't waste your time on essential oils or diatomaceous earth. These don't work. At a minimum, you'll need to wash all your soft surfaces and vacuum any place the animals (including people) in your house sit or lay on. You'll need to do this for weeks because of the flea life-cycle. You'll also want to either wash Willow or you'll have to flea comb her daily until you no longer see fleas or flea dirt. I also recommend treating upholstery, carpets, and baseboards with Fleabusters. Or you can call them and they can treat your home for you.
Home - Fleabusters

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do want to try insecticides and insect growth regulators, I recommend Capstar to kill all the adults now and Advantage 2 to interrupt the flea life cycle to prevent any eggs and larvae from becoming tomorrow's adults.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!

CarlyRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found something natural that worked for me for 2 summers in a row (for an inside cat). I bought Ecomask beneficial nematodes from a company called BioLogic (Amazon). The nematodes go in the ground after watering (or rain).

I use a gardening tool (the type that twists with prongs) to make holes in the ground and grass and spray the nematodes mixed with water. The nematodes kill fleas while they are still in the soil as well as larvae. Worked for me because I was the one bringing the fleas inside as they would hop on me and go for a ride inside my house.