Fleas!

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new little stray baby girl Suki brought home worms and now fleas to our other cat, Outlaw. I treated both with Vectra a week ago, but I’m still finding fleas on them when I comb with a flea comb! How do I get them out of the house and why are they still on them? Are they jumping on them from the house? Will they die since they have been treated? This is gross!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would have thought the Vectra would have mostly taken effect by now - although it is possible that you might still have some lingering somewhere in the house, and they will eventually die. Do the ones you see look a little lethargic? Hope so, that would be a good sign.

Also, make sure the amount you used on the older cat, Outlaw, was a big enough dose for his/her size. If not, it won't be as effective and could enable some of the fleas to survive - and even get on Suki. If the amount given to Outlaw wasn't enough, you could ask the vet if it is safe to apply an additional partial dose - or just wait until it is time to apply the next regular dose. In that case, you probably will still have some fleas "hanging around" for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zigmont

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. It’s applied on the back of the neck. I am still finding a few on them, so they must be jumping on from the house. I guess eventually they will die when I treat them again. I hate fleas!

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. It’s applied on the back of the neck. I am still finding a few on them, so they must be jumping on from the house. I guess eventually they will die when I treat them again. I hate fleas!
You should also do home treatments and wash all the cats bedding. Vacuum a minimum of one a day for a month, even give the hardwood and tile a once over as well.
My Shadow is highly allergic to fleas, so I have to go in hard if she picks them up.
You may have a resurgence of fleas if you don't treat the whole house.

It's sick how much research I've done on fleas and the life cycles of fleas and how to combat them.
I do have to say I prefer the natural sprays for around the house. Makes the whole house smell like toothpaste for a few hours, but at least I don't have to worry about negative health problems with kitty.

Be thankful your fur babies aren't allergic.

Last edited:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just got the upper hand now on the little devils and as said above, you have to blitz the house or it's a waste of time.
I used to use Frontline but although it seemed to work I found it not as effective as Advocate.