Fleas & Worms

Dave2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 month old cat that has been wormed and had flea and tick treatments on at least two occasions

I live in a second floor flat with a balcony.

She does not come into contact with other animals.

Do I need to keep on worming and treating for fleas and ticks?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people here would say no, indoor only cats do not need any parasite preventative.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure. It depends on if you keep windows open. Travel visits. I have had strictly indoor cats that have gotten fleas. I keep a clean place and they never go out but alas. Fleas. I keep mine on revolution plus to be safe.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many, many years ago when I lived in an apartment, we had fleas with an indoor only cat that never came in contact with any other animals. I am guessing that others in the building had animals with fleas and we managed to carry them in on us when we entered the apartment. We treated Tawny (RIP) for fleas (not for ticks or worms) until we moved into a house. Even though he had fleas, he never ended up with worms, thankfully.

35 years later, still in the same house, Feeby (15+ yo) somehow got fleas - first time in her life. No other animals, except perhaps for strays that very infrequently come through the yard. She does spend time on a screened in patio. We are now treating her for fleas (so far, with minimal success). I don't know where you live, but I am in Central Florida and I think the flea population has exploded recently, so I will no longer take any chances with her once we get this current situation under control.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your help, I will carry on with worming and flea treatment, have added the treatment dates to my phones calendar so I don't forget.