Fleas Revolution Not Working

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my Complex sprays a pesticide every two months to get rid of roaches and spiders, does this kill the fleas and flea larvae in the carpet?

It seems there are much less fleas, as I am not finding flea dirt everywhere, but there are still live fleas on the kittens. I never realized this could be so horrible. I think it is bothering the skin on my arms too. It’s very subtle, but the skin on my arms is just a different texture.
If I knew I would have had all these problems with the cats, I never would have gotten them. Ring worm, fleas, litter issues, peeing on my bed, me bit me and it is possible I have cat scratch fever. Seriously? Swollen lymph nodes and a fever.

Any suggestions how to easily get rid of fleas? I’m thinking of paying pesticide company more money to make sure they get them out. It’s really disgusting. I’ve had cats my entire life and never went through this

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can kill the live fleas by washing the kittens in dawn dishsoap. Then use a flea comb to brush them out.

I had a flea infestation in a single room last year and the one thing that did the most was vacuuming and washing everything. all. the. time. Vacuum the carpets and the furniture and wash the vacuum container or throw out the bag. Wash pet beds, blankets, sheets, and clothes in hot water. Try to contain the kittens to a single room to make it easier to clean. There are also natural remedies like lemon water or vinegar spray, but those don’t kill the eggs. They will kill the adults.

If you have cat scratch fever, be very careful. It can get very bad and isn’t like a simple cold if you become infected.

It’s possible that if you completely get rid of the fleas and worms, the litter box issues will resolve themselves. You can also try litter attractant to encourage them to use it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of the best home treatments I've found for fleas is Precor 2000, available from Amazon. It is a little pricey, but IT WORKS! Just shut the cats in one room, treat the rest of the house, wait 3 hours for everything to dry, let them out, and do the untreated room.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Sargent's Flea and Tick Carpet powder. Check on Amazon.

Years past, I rented an apartment with a flea problem. Second day in the apartment, I woke up, sat upright, put my feet on the floor, and the fleas thought dinner was served. I bought a canister of Sargent's canine flea powder, and a carpet rake. Shag rug. Raked the powder into the carpet, no more problem.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH...when cleaning, throw a good flea collar into your vacuum cleaner bag, or a bit of cloth saturated with the Precor (or whatever you decide on). That will kill any live fleas, larvae or eggs you might vacuum up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! if you go the Dawn dishwashing method, be sure and get the original, that's the one they use to clean up animals from oil spills, and just be sure and rinse really well to get all the soap residue off.

Also, if I didn't know better, I'm wondering if you're having something of the same thing happening that did to my mom in her apartment. The guys would come and spray for roaches et al, but they weren't careful enough to get BEHIND the cabinets if those weren't hung right (!) and so she would always end up with the dang bugs coming from other apartments where the residents weren't as careful about cleaning up food.

So, if you can, maybe do what you're thinking regarding killing the fleas through a little more spraying if the great ideas you've received in this thread don't finish 'em off. I always hate to go that route of chemicals but in this case, if you can keep the cats safe from the spray....

ALso, I don't know if you've posted about your other issues, there is an extensive library of Articles on this site, covering a multitude of things :)