Fleas on orphaned kittens

Djizi139

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat(Arya) gave birth 2 weeks ago to 5 beautiful kittens. Yesterday we went to our vets for Arya monthly check up and deworming.

After everything was done, the vet came up to us and asked if we wanted to adopt to 2 orphaned kitten. They are about the same age as Arya's litter.

We were 50-50 about it but decided to adopt them. Unfortunately we found flea larvaes just now. We did a lot of precautions to prevent and outbreak.

1. Gave the 2 kittens a wash(tap water without shampoo)
2. Removed as much larvae/eggs as we could using flea comb and dropping them in soapy water
3. Removed all blankets that they were nesting on.
4. Checked Arya 5 kittens for fleas(no fleas/larvae/eggs found so far)

No adult fleas found so far. Only larvae/eggs but only on the 2 kittens. Arya's kittens are clean so far.

We plan to give Arya anti fleas Collar by tonight.
Spray their resting area with antifleas spray. Not sure if this is safe for them though.
Monitor all of them for fleas with flea comb for the next few days.

Any advice on what we can do better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Djizi139

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention that the orphaned kittens lost their mother to a bite from stray dog

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking the kittens! That’s so sad about their mom!
Be careful about using any spray around the kitties. Especially while still nursing! If you can mop the floor with Dawn dish liquid, that should kill any fleas caught in the mop water. I usually soak the floor well and let it sit a few minutes and them come back to mop up the soapy water. I let it dry well before the kitties return to the area. Flea combing is great. Non toxic to all. It sounds like you have things well in hand. You can also vacuum the area often. If you see more problems then I would consult the vet about safe remedies since the babies are so young. Bravo for saving those little orphans! Please do keep us updated on the whole little family.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I forgot to mention that the orphaned kittens lost their mother to a bite from stray dog
Ah, that is important to know. You dont want to risk your momma cat nor the kittens, if the kittens were orphaned because their momma died in some dreadful disease... THIS is a big warning sign, and experienced rescuers handraise orphans if the circumstances are the least bit unsure. EVEN if they do have a perfect good momma available.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Beware of the flea collars and flea sprays. Most flea collars are directly unhealthy.
Even if nowadays there are flea collars which are OK. Serestro made by the big medical firm Bayer is supposed to be OK...

But dont use if not forced to. Nursing momma and small kittens are warning signs, relatvely safe collar or not.

You have already bathed the kitten in warm water - Im sure you was careful they woulnt be chilled out. In the same way you bathe them again with some drops of dawn soap in....

And yes, you can phone the vet for advices re defleasing. And what preparate should be safe, and which not. It was HE whom bade you for helping out, no? YOU did him a service, not he to you...
Most vets are helping out their paying patients with advices, so this is no real problem. But here he has a little extra responsibility.

Big tx to you and your family for helping these two little orphans!