Flea treatments, Vet was less than helpful...

kittytulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All, 

I've adopted a stray, and last week I was devastated to find he had fleas. He's in a bit of discomfort at the moment, so I have bought Revolution from the vet.

Now, about 4 weeks ago I used Exelpet flea drops on him, and obviously these did nothing (Supermarket brand). This vet has told me that it's safe to use Revolution now, even though the Exelpet was a three monthly dose.

I'm scared I'll poison him if I use it now, but I also hate seeing him scratch and pull his fur so badly. I've washed him, cleaned the entire house, and have ordered diatom dust to sprinkle around (waiting on courier)

Does anyone know if this is safe to use so soon after a supermarket brand was used? Thanks in advance :)

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! 

I would not be able to tell you for sure if it is safe, but I do know many of the supermarket flea treatments are not safe. You might want to contact the company that makes Revolution and see what they have to say (http://www.zoetis.com/contact-us). I would also call a few more vet clinics and get their opinion and I would look into switching vets if this one will not answer your questions. Here is also a list of natural treatments for fleas though stay away from garlic because it is toxic to cats (http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...-fleafree-itchfree-pet-this-summer_2620_.aspx). 

Good luck and keep us posted! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittytulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I've emailed zoetis so hopefully they can help. 

That vet isn't my normal one, but I'm without a car atm, so I went to one that is near my work and just bought from them. The woman was so disinterested in what I had to say, and even answered the phone and turned away from me while I was mid sentence. I won't be going there again. I've mentioned this in the email to the manufacturer. I know that dealing with sick animals isn't the most fun job but surely she would want to prevent something like poisoning!