Flea treatment works fine - until I brush my cat!

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am using Frontline successfully on my feral cat- first time. I don't have a vet. Anyway, I applied it fine.

My feral loves to be brushed daily. I waited 3 days then brushed her. She then got a little sick (vomited some blood, went a little nuts, then was ok a little later.) I'd like to avoid this.

She lives for her daily brushing session. Any way I can clean off the flea treatment from her back/head once it has been thoroughly applied and absorbed in her skin? What to use? Thanks!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a little confused. What does getting sick have to do with grooming her? And if vomiting blood, shouldn't you try to get her seen by a vet?
You don't need to clean off the flea treatment to groom her. As long as the medication has dried it's been absorbed into the bloodstream. Sometimes it's just easier to see on certain color fur. My black cat always looks "dusty" in that area after applying it but my Tortie, you can't see anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I understand it, also documented on the company's web site, Frontline does not enter the blood stream but is absorbed into the sebaceous glands and moves through them with normal movement and activity. Nonetheless, if/when applied correctly, it is safe - and remains effective - even if you bathe your cat after 24 hours have passed since application. So, no amount of removal is going to get rid of it at that point.

This might be instead an allergic or toxic reaction to the treatment as opposed to do anything with your brushing. If you want to try another flea treatment without a prescription, you could try Advantage II. It works the same as Frontline, but with different 'ingredients'. The only thing Advantage won't do is protect against ticks and lice as Frontline does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you. It's strange it occurred three days after I gave her the treatment. She was fine right afterwards. Took a long nap. (As usual.) I held off on brushing/combing that area for three days. Then I groomed her there and she got whacked out. (Never before.) She recovered though later that day, and is fine now.

So nice not to have fleas/ticks. I want to use it again but - seems like more than a coincidence- given this input, I think I'll call the company. Many thanks again!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I am using Frontline successfully on my feral cat- first time. I don't have a vet. Anyway, I applied it fine.

My feral loves to be brushed daily. I waited 3 days then brushed her. She then got a little sick (vomited some blood, went a little nuts, then was ok a little later.) I'd like to avoid this.

She lives for her daily brushing session. Any way I can clean off the flea treatment from her back/head once it has been thoroughly applied and absorbed in her skin? What to use? Thanks!
The only thing I can think of using is Dawn Dish soap, and giving your feral cat a bath...which just by saying feral...and not friendly stray...might be sort of dangerous to the humans to do. Most cats hate taking baths, and get extremely fearful.

(I've tried doing this in a warm pan of water, with older kittens, and they hated it.)
(Even having leather gloves on, and long sleeved thick shirts, I imagine would not help much, from being bitten or scratched...though it is really good that you are able to brush her daily, so perhaps she is more a stray, than a true feral cat.)

If your cat is having an Adverse Reaction to the Fipronil...in the Frontline spot-on product, then I would try using the Dawn soap on the spot treatment, since it mentions that the fipronil gets into the sebaceous glands of the skin.
This was taken from this Site:Flea And Tick Solution | Pet Poison Helpline but it charges $75 for a phone-call...so really you are better off just taking your cat to a Vet which would probably have a similar consultation fee.
"A spot-on treatment study in dogs and cats found fipronil concentrated in the sebaceous (oil) glands of the skin, the superficial epithelial layer (outermost layer of skin) surrounding pets’ hairs and the exposed part of the hair shaft."
Also mentions the sebaceous glands, here: FIPRONIL TOXICITY, POISONING, INTOXICATION, ANTIDOTE, TOXICITY. Safety Summary for VETERINARY USE on Dogs, Cats and Cattle

I agree with sivyaleah sivyaleah ...if your cat is vomiting blood, and having a major adverse reaction...I would take her to see the Vet asap.

Try calling the number on the package insert, as well, and reporting this reaction to the actual company who makes this product.

The more people report these adverse reactions, then perhaps it will cause the company to pull the product, or issue Warning labels.

Also try calling some Cat Rescues in the area, since they may be willing to help out with advice, and give you some contact info of what to do. Especially since they work with feral cats, too.

Wishing you the best and all the luck with your cat.
Thanks for helping this feral cat. :bluepaw:

Edit to add: Just noticed your update.
Glad that she is doing well. :)

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, you are so kind to offer this advice. I might try a spot cleanse with dish soap on the next round. My feral was the last of 3 siblings who I fed for 8 years (we moved into this house, they were kittens but the previous owner had fed them, so I took over.) They always ran away from me but I fed them. It was so hard to feel rejected. I love animals. I just didn't understand ferals.

After 2 of the 3 cats died I reached out to the last one, KittyKat. She was so distraught and confused. I started combing her as she was a ball of furry mess. She understood that language of grooming, and to this day loves it more than anything.

I am so grateful to this group for helping me be KittyKat's steward to a blissful feral cat life. I am still learning and very grateful to be able to serve her. She is so sweet and intelligent, it blows me away. She has so much love in her heart.

And...This is such a wonderful group,

thanks for all this help!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, you are so kind to offer this advice. I might try a spot cleanse with dish soap on the next round. My feral was the last of 3 siblings who I fed for 8 years (we moved into this house, they were kittens but the previous owner had fed them, so I took over.) They always ran away from me but I fed them. It was so hard to feel rejected. I love animals. I just didn't understand ferals.

After 2 of the 3 cats died I reached out to the last one, KittyKat. She was so distraught and confused. I started combing her as she was a ball of furry mess. She understood that language of grooming, and to this day loves it more than anything.

I am so grateful to this group for helping me be KittyKat's steward to a blissful feral cat life
. I am still learning and very grateful to be able to serve her. She is so sweet and intelligent, it blows me away. She has so much love in her heart.

And...This is such a wonderful group,

thanks for all this help!
Having read some threads in the 'Caring for Strays and Ferals' sub-forum, here, it definitely sounds like the kittens/cats were ferals and naturally had to run away from humans, due to their instincts for survival, and keeping away from humans, too.
Glad you were there to feed them, though.

KittyKat sounds very special. :)
She sounds like she trusts you and enjoys the brushing. :thumbsup:

Perhaps somehow she managed to lick and groom her fur, a bit more, after those three days?
And somehow the Frontline spread a bit more around her hair shafts, through her sebaceous glands,...and so she got a higher dose from licking her fur, of the Fipronil in the product. Not really sure. She could just be more sensitive to the product, and sometimes companies change the formulations of their products, too.

(I've always used Revolution, for my animals, both dog and cats. (Last year it was Revolution Plus for the cats).
Some 7-10 yrs ago...I think they did change the product ingredients...because it seemed to have an extremely strong 'alcohol smell' and sends my two cats running, and even I notice the alcohol smell. Much like the smell of some dollar-store hand sanitizers have.
It's so strong, that it takes a while to dissipate, and I don't blame my cats for running as far as they can.)

(The thing I really don't like is that in certain countries Revolution can be bought on websites, without a prescription, but not in ontario, canada. I seriously think that flea products and dewormers should be sold online without prescription, and so should many other products. Okay, rant over, sorry. It just irks me a bit/a lot. :soapbox: :blush: :stars: :wink:)

I came across this other site, while looking up some info:
Shampoo For Your Pet – Which to Use and NOT Use
It kind of explains the PH balance of cats' skin and what they recommend for shampoos for cats.
(I've never actually given this any thought, before,...but it's kind of interesting to know.)

(I do remember trying one of the 'foaming water-less shampoos' years ago, that I had bought in a pet store, but honestly cannot remember how well it worked, or if I used water afterwards, or not.)

I am always still learning, and really enjoy learning something new everyday, so like you, I enjoy this Site, and reading other member's posts.
Plus, your question had me thinking about the upcoming 'flea and tick season', here, so doing some further readings is always a good thing, too. :hellocomputer:
Thank you to you, for posting your question. :wave3:
I hope you get some answers from calling the company up.
They should send you a refund, at least, if KittyKat is sensitive to it.

Last edited:

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi cat nap,

thank you for your empathy for KittyKat (and me) concerning how to proceed.

I will report back after talking with Frontline (assuming they answer calls!)
If not, I suppose I will try a dry shampoo for cats. I found one on Amazon. Your post was very helpful in directing me here.

Actually, for as much as I do groom her (it's her favorite thing, after food and naps) her coat is always a little coarse. I don't mind and she's so soft anyway. I would be curious to see if I do go the shampoo route if she gets the results promised by a shampoo! Never thought I'd be shampooing my feral, but as you noticed, KittyKat does trust me (while probably thinking I am a little crazy.)

Since I feed her, and what not, she puts up with me!

Good luck with your flea research. It was amazing this month to comb her out and not find little black eggs and ticks!

And... I agree. Revolution would have been my first choice. Hoping I can stay with Frontline as I am not sure this would not have happened with Revolution either?

Be well, have a happy "cat" day. Cats are so magical!

Attachments

Last edited:

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to update on the Frontline Plus. I used it a second time without incident...

Btw, before I used it, I called the number on the Frontline box and talked to a representative. Someone picked up the phone right away, no wait time, and answered my questions. That's a nice surprise. She took down the lot # and told me to call back if any problems again.

But, everything went smoothly.

So nice to NOT see ticks and fleas. Thanks ALL for your support (and I speak for KittyKat too!)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to administer it again without incident this time. I take it the vomiting blood hasn't reoccurred then either?
I'm really not sure though if the vomiting blood was related to the frontline. Would you be up for trying to get her seen by a vet?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for thinking of KittyKat's well being. No, no more craziness or vomiting. If it happens again I will def. call a vet! I do think it was related somehow to the Frontline, even the lady from Frontline said perhaps some of it landed on her paw. Maybe some got on the seat. Idk but all seems fine this time.