Flea Treatment For Home (canada)

Lucifigus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have returned from vacation and found my cat (Lucy) has fleas. As I research this invasion, I realize this is pretty insidious. although it may be impossible to figure out the vector for fleas coming in (Lucy is never outside), it may have been my cat sitter, who has a dog - perhaps not, and frankly it's not overly important at this point.

Lucy has an appointment with the vet tomorrow and we'll get her treated. I know that I have a lot of laundry to do, and I need to take care of other details in the home as a preventative and longer term management measure.

My question is about the availability of NyGuard in Canada. I find recommendations for NyGuard as it is non toxic and effective; however, I cannot find any retail source in Canada. Does anyone know of any Canadian dealer or distributors that carry NyGuard Plus, or NyGuard EZ1?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hoping you get some responses soon! The flea treatment for your cat is the only way to resolve the problem. No amount of cleaning that you do to the house will matter. In fact, other than for your own peace of mind, the cleaning won't be necessary once the flea treatment is doing its thing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I couldn't find anything, but I did find that Amazon carries it, and does ship to Canada. That doesn't help you in the short run, but you CAN get it there. I've also found Precore 2000 to be very effective. VERY effective. You do need to put the cats in one room, do the rest of the house, wait a couple of hours for it to dry, then do the room the cats were originally in.

Cquinn1021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cats brought us the gift of fleas. I found placing low containers of water with dawn original dish soap in it, by a night light. Over night you would be surprised how many ull find. I did that in many rooms plus flea treatment for the cats and it greatly cut down our problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucifigus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Lucy to the Vet and had her examined and treated with the topical treatment Revolution. I have more treatments to give her at regular intervals. She was off her food and low in energy for 24 hours from the Revolution and bounced back quickly to herself. She is not scratching like she did, and she is much more comfortable.
The Vet sold a product for room treatment called Siphotrol 2000, sold (produced?) by Vet Kem. I am in the process of cleaning and doing lots of laundry. Down filled items spend an hour in the dryer. I will be doing a lot of vacuuming and cleaning and then treat each room with the Siphotrol. Hopefully a lot of attention and vigilance will get us through this successfully.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Siphotrol 2000 has PRECOR in it. Make sure you put the cat in another room until it is completely dried. Do not get that stuff on the cat. It is OK after it dries and says 30 minutes. If I used it around my cats I would wait a couple of hours.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I go a full two hours after Precor treatment with Hek, just to be safe.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NyGuard or Precor. Order on-line and once you are flea free, Spray every 6 months with one or the other.
I "think" I've had better luck with Precor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucifigus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the cautionary advice with the Precor. My Vet gave similar advice, and I will be careful. I live in a relatively small flat, and Monday, Lucy will be out of the flat and I will be able to treat the whole unit and leave for a few hours.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's just ideal, then. I've never bothered to leave when I treat, and haven't had any issues, but ALWAYS better safe than sorry!