Flea treatment and wet fur

Ak423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, both treated but one scratched right after I applied advantage and now he has a huge wet spot on the back of his head. It's been 6 hours since I applied it and it hasn't dried at all. Do I wipe it off or leave it alone? I'm afraid my other cat will try to lick it off.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The spot is left wet/greasy like that the first day or first two days. I'm told to leave the area alone especially the first 24 hours as the treatment takes time to work anyway. If they lick it they don't continue as it tastes awful and again I'm told by the vet the potential side effects for little licking like foaming of the mouth or nausea are temporary and not serious. Most cats lick off a bit from their own neck from time to time. But of course keep an eye on them and if for whatever the reason one licks the other try to prevent it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Advantage II I use on Feeby takes hours to dry as well. I agree with MissClouseau MissClouseau - leave it alone and let it dry, and just keep an eye on them to try to prevent any licking. However, if either cat does lick some of it, they will very quickly stop because of the taste. They won't lick enough of it to hurt them even if it seems like it due to the possible frothing at the mouth for a minute.