Flea Treating Apartment

garrln

Cat Father of Three
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 7 month old applehead(?) siamese cat named Haku, 4 days ago. At the end of the first day, I noticed flea dirt so I ended up giving him a quick bath to kill some of the fleas. I then isolated him from the other cats before he got to close. They had minimal contact but he really wanted to meet them. I vacuumed the areas he was in and threw away the bag. I kept him isolated in a big cage in the living room. The next morning I replenished my stock of revolution and treated all 3 of my cats, Haku going first. After that I proceeded to treat the whole house with flea spray and vacuumed everywhere. I then washed all their beds and blankets in hot water.

Am I overdoing it? I am overly paranoid because this is my first time experiencing fleas and I wanted to stop it before it spread to the whole house. My plan is to vacuum everyday and spray the house every few days for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

I would like to know if that is too much or if i should just slow down since I saw he had fleas the first day I got him and immediately isolated him. Thank you!

here is a picture of him right before I saw the fleas.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it is too much! You have to treat fleas pretty aggressively! I run a rescue out of my home so feel like I am constantly trying to prevent a flea outbreak! I think with the spray you can spray now and then again in two weeks. It should wipe everything out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garrln

Cat Father of Three
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it is too much! You have to treat fleas pretty aggressively! I run a rescue out of my home so feel like I am constantly trying to prevent a flea outbreak! I think with the spray you can spray now and then again in two weeks. It should wipe everything out!
Sounds about right. I'm using a sentry spray that kills flea eggs and treats floors, upholstery, furniture, etc. It says it lasts up to 7 months but I dont know if I believe that so I'll be respraying often.

I checked Haku last night and tried to clean off some fleas with a flea comb and cup of warm dishwater. I did a few strokes and only one flea showed up on the comb but it was already dead.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can never be too paranoid about fleas. Last year I went to the park for something a friend had going on. Brought home 2 fleas on my pants. Did I stop with just killing them....NO. I flea treated my animals, used Raid flea and tick bomb in each room, sprayed the outside area with industrial flea killer and have my animals currently on brewers yeast to control any they may pick up. I also stripped immediately and washed my clothes in HOT water.
I hate fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

garrln

Cat Father of Three
Kitten
Purraise
You can never be too paranoid about fleas. Last year I went to the park for something a friend had going on. Brought home 2 fleas on my pants. Did I stop with just killing them....NO. I flea treated my animals, used Raid flea and tick bomb in each room, sprayed the outside area with industrial flea killer and have my animals currently on brewers yeast to control any they may pick up. I also stripped immediately and washed my clothes in HOT water.
I hate fleas.

how do you like the raid flea spray? Also how much brewers yeast do you use for your cats? I am going to buy some after reading about it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spraying every few days would be a little overkill, if there were eggs left they take at least a week to hatch. Everything else sounds right, as long as they are on Revolution now they should be fine.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now the only animals on Brewers Yeast are my dogs. The last cat had already passed by the time this happened and my kittens are not yet old enough. With my horses, it was a lot 2x's a week. With the dogs it's a good covering on wet food once a week. I'll have to figure it out for the kittens when they are old enough.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found just one flea in my house and ended up using 5 doses of Revolution I had on hand and doing all the cats and the guinea pigs.
Where do we think it came from? Silly as this sounds: Frontier Airlines
Boyfriend said on the plane that his leg felt like it was getting eaten alive and when he got home he found bites all over that area and within a few days I found a flea on me.
I went through $83 of product because of one stupid flea and a budget airline.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found just one flea in my house and ended up using 5 doses of Revolution I had on hand and doing all the cats and the guinea pigs.
Where do we think it came from? Silly as this sounds: Frontier Airlines
Boyfriend said on the plane that his leg felt like it was getting eaten alive and when he got home he found bites all over that area and within a few days I found a flea on me.
I went through $83 of product because of one stupid flea and a budget airline.
This is why I have a problem with Motel 6. It's great that they let you bring your pet in to stay with you. However, what are other people bringing home to their pets.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luckily us don't have real cat fleas, only chicken fleas and very little of those, but they attack around March some years. This year it was worse than before, but as temperatures dropped below 5F, I froze whole living quarters, there was no bites after that and now I don't see any in cats either.

Vet told me that chicken flea will die in 2 days even without action taken, can't imagine horror of cat fleas and especially if there is no possibility to freeze everything.

Anyway I did some research on fleas and their hatching time was something like 2 days to 180 days, depending humidity and temperature, nice warm and moist air was fastest cycle time, which might be good when trying to get rid of them.