Flea, Tick, And Worm Prevention For Outdoor Cats

averyfeinhaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there a flea/tick preventive treatment or medicine, over the counter, that you would recommend for me to give to my lovely feral boy? We're bonding, he comes to me for petting and bunting around mealtimes, so I could sneak on a topical if need be. I hear horror stories about violent side effects from some products, even death. More and more, people say Frontline doesn't work. Capstar is a good curative, I've heard, but not a preventive. Kitty looks clean as a whistle and very comfortable. We live in a warm climate. Our property stays mowed flat, and we don't have any brush or tall grass.

Also, when he was TNR'd, he received de-worming medicine. I have no idea what kind. Again, he looks healthy, eats well, etc. His belly is not distended. So I'm assuming he's in good health. Do I need to follow this up with anything, or is it a case of it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Do you guys just feed and water your feral/stray outdoor cats and leave the rest to nature or are you more proactive about it? I'm not interested in hearing about bringing him indoors, thank you very much.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I treated with flea/tick/parasite in the warmer months. One of my feral boys was very prone to ticks. I used Revolution or Frontline topical usually every other month in warmer weather. I liked Revolution as it helped with some internal parasites and ear mites too. Yet it cannot be purchased over the counter. I had to order from Bestflea.com. You have to create an account to view all their products.

As for deworming, I did deworm once or twice a year. It depended on how many critters they were catching and eating. You can find Dontral online as well as some other dewormers. The problem is getting the cat to take it. Dontral is horrible horrible tasting. I had to purchase chicken flavored capsules to put it into and then place the capsule into wet food. It was sometimes not eaten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

averyfeinhaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would I be able to get Revolution via Bestflea.com without a prescription, or is it just not possible without seeing a vet? I'm thinking of trying Advantage II, which is like Frontline only better reviews on Amazon.

Thank you for all the helpful information!

I treated with flea/tick/parasite in the warmer months. One of my feral boys was very prone to ticks. I used Revolution or Frontline topical usually every other month in warmer weather. I liked Revolution as it helped with some internal parasites and ear mites too. Yet it cannot be purchased over the counter. I had to order from Bestflea.com. You have to create an account to view all their products.

As for deworming, I did deworm once or twice a year. It depended on how many critters they were catching and eating. You can find Dontral online as well as some other dewormers. The problem is getting the cat to take it. Dontral is horrible horrible tasting. I had to purchase chicken flavored capsules to put it into and then place the capsule into wet food. It was sometimes not eaten.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If you can swing it I use this medication

Bravecto Topical Solution for Cats - Pet Value Mart

It works for 3 months kills both fleas and ticks.this is the cheapest price that I have found. I bought it at the vets and it was 55. I like that it does kill ticks. My Honeybee is always coming home with those baby ticks on her. Since using this in May not a sign of a tick or flea. And the fact it works for 3 months is great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

averyfeinhaus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can swing the cost, but the problem is my kitty cat is not transportable for a vet visit. So if I need a prescription for Bravecto, it's going to be a problem. :( However, I will try! I'll talk with my late dog's vet and see if he can help. Thanks!

If you can swing it I use this medication

Bravecto Topical Solution for Cats - Pet Value Mart

It works for 3 months kills both fleas and ticks.this is the cheapest price that I have found. I bought it at the vets and it was 55. I like that it does kill ticks. My Honeybee is always coming home with those baby ticks on her. Since using this in May not a sign of a tick or flea. And the fact it works for 3 months is great.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Bravecto prescription only? My sister-in-law uses that for her feral/stray rescues.