Flea tablets

feral

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last summer I tried using flea drops on the back of my cat's neck which was a total disaster. She somehow licked it and foamed at the mouth and got pretty sick. We have tried flea collars too. She hates them and when she does have one on will kick and scratch at it until we take it off. I heard from a friend that there is a flea control tablet that I can get at the vet's office for this. I was wondering if any of you has used this type of treatment and your views on it. Flea and tick season is here and I want to protect "the kids". Thanks.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think what they are talking about it the program. The only problem is that it just kills the eggs. You would need something to kill adult fleas and ticks. What's the name of the product you used?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feral

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used Advantage drops on the back of her neck last summer and she managed to lick it somehow and got really sick. I am scared to use other drops because she does groom herself a lot. My friend told me there were tablets (I believe it was called Sentinel(?)) that worked similar to the drops that cats and dogs can take by mouth. I was just wondering if anybody else had heard of these or similar tablets and how they worked with thier pets. I don't like to give my pets anything that I haven't researched first or had some type of info on. They are starting to go outside quite a bit now and our area has a lot of ticks and fleas so they need some type of protection soon.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Sentinal is from the feedback I have gotten a good product. It is for flea eggs and heartworms. The only problem is that you have ticks in your area. These products dont do anything for ticks. The only things I can think of for your situation are trying frontline, as it is a different product and she may not react to it or try the revolution. Revolution is a topical but is not left on the skin too long. It is absorbed into the blood stream right away. I have used advantage,frontline and revolution. None of my cats had a reaction to any of them. The only time I had someone foam at the mouth, I had made the mistake of buying over the counter stuff(bio spot).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feral

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gee thanks for letting me know that. I will see if I can get some of the Frontline or Revolution from the vet's office. Simon came in today with a tick on his belly. He sleeps in our bed so I had better try something soon before he brings them in to us. Thanks again.