Flea Repellent For Dogs?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am using frontline plus, for my neices dog. he is full of fleas. we have bathed him in dawn soap, and we could still see live fleas on him. weve shaved him as close as we could.

we dont have a yard. so he walks around our neighborhoods many yards. how can we keep fleas away from him?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww don't shave him, why did you shave him? Just bathe him in Dawn as you did and apply monthly protection. Maybe switch to Nexgard or Revolution or another one from the vet if Frontline isn't doing it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully you waited at least 48 hrs. from the time you used Frontline Plus until bathing the dog in order for it to be fully effective. You can also try Capstar oral medication - comes in tablet form. It starts to work within 30 minutes and kills 90% of fleas in 4 hrs. BUT make sure you read about the possible side effects.

I also used Frontline Plus on our dog and was very satisfied. However, I used it as a preventative since thankfully he never had fleas. Best of luck! :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww don't shave him, why did you shave him? Just bathe him in Dawn as you did and apply monthly protection. Maybe switch to Nexgard or Revolution or another one from the vet if Frontline isn't doing it.
we used frontline, and he still had live fleas after a week. we bathed him in dawn soap, and still there were live fleas, it didnt kill them. after shaving him, we were able to find all the fleas.

Hopefully you waited at least 48 hrs. from the time you used Frontline Plus until bathing the dog in order for it to be fully effective. You can also try Capstar oral medication - comes in tablet form. It starts to work within 30 minutes and kills 90% of fleas in 4 hrs. BUT make sure you read about the possible side effects.

I also used Frontline Plus on our dog and was very satisfied. However, I used it as a preventative since thankfully he never had fleas. Best of luck! :crossfingers:
its been a week. lol

anyone know of any sprays that might help keep the fleas from even jumping on him?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're using Dawn, Frontline, I would make absolutely sure the spray you choose is safe to use with topicals. That's a lot of "stuff" on a dog in a short time period.
If Frontline isn't working (which I have never found it to be effective), talk to your vet about trying something else. Lots of people like Bravecto and Trifexis, but there are also a lot who say the drug killed their dog so research and maybe try something like Advantage that has been on the market longer than a year or two.
Also...,y guess is the house/environment needs to be treated to stop this cycle.
It sucks that I know of no real solution to keep fleas off them, only stuff that kills the fleas once they bite. For any dog or cat with a flea saliva allergy, it's hell no matter what =(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of dog? How old?

You have to wait a few days after bathing to apply Frontline (or any spot-on), or it won't spread on the body properly, since it spreads in the body oils and bathing removes those oils. And I agree that fleas in many areas have become immune to Frontline, so a different brand might be better. If the dog doesn't live with cats, K9 Advantix is good. But it's very toxic to cats so extreme care has to be taken if the dog lives with cats. There are some repellent sprays (generally sold at farm stores in the horse section), but they're also very toxic to cats.

I'm currently using Seresto collars and I'm satisfied with them. They're expensive but if they last at least 5 months it's actually cheaper than spot-ons.

I'd definitely recommend some Capstar, any time you see a lot of fleas Capstar is the best choice. You have to get rid of most of the fleas before any of the other meds can work well.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline plus is becoming resistant to fleas. They will soon be phasing it out and replacing it with the new Frontline Gold.

I would suggest K9 Advantage/Advantix or a Seresto collar.
My cousin had a dog that was infested with fleas, loosing all his hair, skin was all red. We put that Seresto collar on him and in one day all the fleas were dead. And it's the most affordable option because it lasts 8 months or 5 if he gets wet a lot.

And the most effective way to get fleas out of the house is a flea bomb. Take everyone out of the house for a few hours and put one on every level of the house. Wash anything made of cloth and fabric.