Flea meds neurological side effects?

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I notice today that royal canin has changed the gastrointestinal high energy which is what both my cats eat, (Allie snobs it now though after eating it for a year but i put probiodics on it today and she ate it)has changed the formula

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Dry Cat Food | Chewy (Free Shipping)
if you look at nutritional info its slightly different with .7 more fiber and slightly different ingredients

do you think the taste has changed and Allie might like it again
I went to the vet today to order gastro fiber response but waiting on vet approval now im thinking the new formula of high energy might be a better try
The beauty of buying Royal Canin prescription dry food from my local pet store is that I can return it as long as there is one half of a bag left for full credit. They said they send it back to Royal Canin I believe. I've had to do this a couple of times. $55 per bag is a lot to spend when you can't return it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie has been officially diagnosed with feline hyperesthesia...I believe it was from the flea meds despite what anyone has to say..

She was prescribed gabapentin but I have not given her any as of yet...Shes been on holistapet cbd twice a day for 18 days now and has greatly improved

realreviewrva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dont listen to anyone here trying to say its not the Advantage . It is. Same exact thing with my indoor only cat, who is 9yo.. I know him very well. As he's aged he's developed quite a few serious allergies. I have to keep him on Royal canin urinary so formula. His entire life his ears have been black.. everyone said it was mites on these forums.. his ears biopsied three times based on internet cat peoples advice.. he had no mites he had allergies and in fact he was allergic to all protein until I had to put him on hydrolyzed protein.. even so at the slightest stress his ears will get black again.. if I move furniture around. That given, I live in an upstairs apartment.. and I noticed he was scratching and biting at the base of his tail.. he normally doesn't scratch, or bite himself.. at all. I looked through his fur he had flea dirt.. and so I bought Advantage II and it killed all the fleas.. but it immediately triggered hypersthesia, something he's never had. He began pulling and tearing at his fur until it was coming out now he's got bald patches all over his flanks and legs... This has been going on for months there are no fleas.. house is immaculate, spotless, flealess.. I've treated the entire house , washed, dryed, vacuumed daily for 2 months..
months.. I bought some hydrocortisone spray.. I go through his skin daily.. there's no trace of remnants of any fleas or any parasites at all.. just patches of missing fur everywhere.. fortunately his skin looks good no scabs or wounds..
It's been 3 weeks since a 2nd dose of advantage was put on him... I've had to buy him a recovery collar.. I've had him in a onesie t-shirt... Trying to protect him from self-mutilating... It's absolutely devastating to see him suffering this way and it's exhausting for me to keep at him.. it's absolutely due to the Advantage.. anyone on here who's ignorant enough to say it's unlikely or it's not they just don't understand how neurotoxins work. Our cats are having neurotoxicity symptoms so just because 98% of cats can tolerate treatment doesn't mean that the 2% that can aren't going to exhibit neurotoxicity..id imagine a cat predispositioned with allergies are more likely to be intolerant of topical or tablet flea meds..

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dont listen to anyone here trying to say its not the Advantage . It is. Same exact thing with my indoor only cat, who is 9yo.. I know him very well. As he's aged he's developed quite a few serious allergies. I have to keep him on Royal canin urinary so formula. His entire life his ears have been black.. everyone said it was mites on these forums.. his ears biopsied three times based on internet cat peoples advice.. he had no mites he had allergies and in fact he was allergic to all protein until I had to put him on hydrolyzed protein.. even so at the slightest stress his ears will get black again.. if I move furniture around. That given, I live in an upstairs apartment.. and I noticed he was scratching and biting at the base of his tail.. he normally doesn't scratch, or bite himself.. at all. I looked through his fur he had flea dirt.. and so I bought Advantage II and it killed all the fleas.. but it immediately triggered hypersthesia, something he's never had. He began pulling and tearing at his fur until it was coming out now he's got bald patches all over his flanks and legs... This has been going on for months there are no fleas.. house is immaculate, spotless, flealess.. I've treated the entire house , washed, dryed, vacuumed daily for 2 months..
months.. I bought some hydrocortisone spray.. I go through his skin daily.. there's no trace of remnants of any fleas or any parasites at all.. just patches of missing fur everywhere.. fortunately his skin looks good no scabs or wounds..
It's been 3 weeks since a 2nd dose of advantage was put on him... I've had to buy him a recovery collar.. I've had him in a onesie t-shirt... Trying to protect him from self-mutilating... It's absolutely devastating to see him suffering this way and it's exhausting for me to keep at him.. it's absolutely due to the Advantage.. anyone on here who's ignorant enough to say it's unlikely or it's not they just don't understand how neurotoxins work. Our cats are having neurotoxicity symptoms so just because 98% of cats can tolerate treatment doesn't mean that the 2% that can aren't going to exhibit neurotoxicity..id imagine a cat predispositioned with allergies are more likely to be intolerant of topical or tablet flea meds..
I'm so sorry you and your cat are going through this. He is so lucky to have you. Hugs.